It's 'Youngistan' Ka Wow, right?

Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
14 years ago

Okay, this is a bit of a rant but hear me out on this one - The tangest money-making contest to the Indiblogger of the Month contest has led to a lot of conundrums, confusion and sadly, connivance.

So excuse me while I speak my mind here:

1. The theme is 'Youngistan Ka Wow' and the style adapted is irreverence and humour ('wacky', if you will). I can understand the marketing bit of what Pepsi's trying to achieve here. It wants to be positively reinforced into the minds of today's youngsters/ youth and want a sort of discussion going on in blogs that mere trending topics cannot offer. After all, we happen to be the brand's target demographic. And it wants to hear in on what we have to say.

Now, it is understood that Pepsi wants solely young bloggers to participate in this contest - given the theme, background et al. But what we have here is hoardes of over-40 uncles and aunties (no offence to them or their writing) with jobs, kids and possibly, grandkids getting onboard to reap the benefits. Their blogs usually circle around their families, how the days have gone by, arthiritis and watching their kids grow - which I don't think is wacky or irreverent in any universe. And don't tell us that they are young at heart and all that jazz; this is purely a promotion-driven contest and it should be kept limited only to its TG. The older bloggers will have a million more chances to score brownie points/ win Indiblogger of the month with more serious/ important topics.

At least leave the irreverence to us kids - who might need the prize more than you guys. And we know that 'years of experience' have led you to garner a lot of followers/ relatives who will comment at your beck and call, we don't have the luxury of having lived that long.

P.S: When your kids comment on your blogpost, it is safe to assume that you're not Youngistan anymore... Sorry.

2. The question isn't 'How many comments?' It's 'How many comments by how many people?' Most bloggers are resorting to unfair means to bulk up their comment load. The unfair means include making the comments section, a chat room with exactly one person posting over 120 times and schizo-commenting (bulking up on comments by commenting on your own post). 

3. The posts that have enough comments - are they going to be judged on grammar, length of post, readability and non-stereotypicality? Or are they solely based on the number of one's friends/ relatives/ grandchildren who have internet access.

4. Also, should comments from other countries be entertained given that the 'Wow' campaign is solely Indian and thus would a problem in measuring campaign effectiveness. 

5. Should all those commenting have blogs of their own?

All this might seem like a lot of jargon but i hope you get my point here. So does anyone (other than the few Indibloggers I already talked to) share my views?

Also, please do not take offence. These issues might really affecting the outcome and make the competition unfair and irrelevant. 

Replies 1 to 16 of 16 Descending
Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
14 years ago

*affect the outcome.

Sorry. Typo.

Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Abhi - Hi five!

Also, I have a few more queries (because one Jayalalita-sized post wasn't enough):

6. Some bloggers haven't posted their Pepsi-Youngistaan post and are yet in the nominations slot.  What's the deal with that?

7. My wordpress account only acknowledges comments after the entry of one's email. There is no option for signing in through Google/FB or using OpenID references (unlike blogger). How bad is that?

8. Also, most of the blog-posts tend to revolve around Ranbir's personal and professional life than being focussed on the challenge. I'm not saying I disapprove of this at all (I'm not that huge a douche.) But considering he's the brand-ambassador and all - it seems a tad maligning (the whole focus on his personal life thingamagig)... considering that Pepsi's sponsoring the event. Also, the colloquial term for it is 'written in bad taste'. I think.

These are hopefully the last bits of my rant.

Again, feel free to comment, guys. :)

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Glad you folks have started thinking all these things at least now! Now you folks understand why I came up with my *interesting article* on Youngistaan ka wow?

No wonder indiblogger rejected my post for IndiBlogger of the Month! Pepsi has virtually accepted the defeat for my challenge Tongue out

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

WinkOk lets hit it point by point.

Before I start. Ok I am not yet 40 Plus something blogger.

Your Point 1: Theme is Youngistaan ka Wow Contest.

• The game rule is to pose a challenge to Ranbir and act as the gamemaster. Now, who is gamemaster here ? 40 plus something Sanjay Dutt. So can I say, the contest has more relevance to 40 Plus something as they are on the age par of Sanjay Dutt???
  • There is no question about years of experience when it comes to blogging. There are kids who have a more following than an old bloggers. It is not you age factor that matters when it comes to blogging but how long you are blogging. You are assuming 40 plus something bloggers to be blogging since their teen age which is wrong. I know a blogger personally who started blogging at the age of 60. So is he not as experienced as a teen blogger when it comes to blogging experience? Rather, If you say 40 plus bloggers have advantage of their kids, grand kids to comment , I would say teen bloggers have their tech savvy friends and friends of friends to comment along with their relatives ofcourse.

Your Point 2: Well, this is something I been pestering Rennie to clarify but for strange reason he has not responded back Undecided It is easy to spam our comment box if multiple comments are allowed.

Your point 3,4: It is asking too much to expect a sensible comments from everyone on this idiotic but fun contest purely based on increasing TRP (la swayamvar type shows) The whole idea of the contest is to make some n number of blogs to showcase Pepsi badge. You don't expect any intellectual support for it. Other than hard hitting post like the one Mohan wrote which obviously won't be something Pepsi would like to see

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Point 5,6,7 : technical i will leave it to Rennie.

Point 8: I will simply say "Who Cares?" When it comes to Bollywood in general, Professional and personal life has always been criss-crossed by all kinds of media. So whats a big deal, when bloggers touch upon that when it comes to this fun contest?  And I assume, since few post like Mohan's and Neha's where disqualified, I assume the other posts have the approval of Pepsi. So when the company does not have a problem, then what's the big deal in in? Just Chillax and take it with a pinch of salt or sugar ... Wink

Arif
Arif
from Mumbai
14 years ago
Hi Utsav. I understand where this is coming from. I agree with your observations. The contest's requirement of simply 'getting the max no. of comments' appears to be a quick decision. I don't see any importance going in towards the post content, creativity shown, difference of idea, etc. Then, you're right with pointing out some conventional bloggers who are pooling in their entire family to write a single line and on the other hand some who have deployed a single person posting night after night whether it's about WOW or not. Personally, I don' think this is a contest of merit, it's simply how much you can go overboard in gathering people comments, sad part is - by any means! I mean look at Mohan's blog, his article was great and it created a lot of discussion too. That is what everyone ought to have done - generating comments rather than forcing comments. I too fell for the same initially but later decided to move on as contest come and go, what stays are your readers. I can't deprive them of good content just because I'm busy forcing people to write. My advice - do what you love the most - blogging. Your fans are your biggest prize, cherish them. Good luck in case you're still active in the contest!
Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

People, multiple comments from the same person, and comments by the author himself will not be counted!

Arif
Arif
from Mumbai
14 years ago
Utsav - you have your answer here! Good luck!
Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Lakshmi

Since you're offended and the chief editor of your site, I'm assuming you're in the wrinklier side of 30s. But let's forget that for a moment and let me answer your queries constructively and rationally. Because, you know, the young prespective and all:

1. Your argument that the contest is for 40-plus people *just because* it's got Sanjay playing the Gamemaster. Here's where the ball falls into my court. It brings forth two very important points to my notice:

A. You have never read comic books.

I'm assuming that you're one of those adults who don't read comic books or graphic novels for their bad, vocab-forsaken language or whatever. This is solely through growing up in the 80s with Indrajal and Raj Comics being weak pillars of adolescent support. You would never hear of DC, Marvel, Wildstorm or Image had it not been for movies based on their comics.

How did I get to this from your Sanjay Dutt point?

The current Pepsi campaign is a simple comic book superhero-supervillain construct. Ranbir is the leather-wearing quintessence of youth, and thus the superhero - while Sanjay Dutt is old and haggard, outlandishly dressed and obviously incompetent at his job because the hero beats him to to boot every time.

Point to be noted here ma'am: Villains are (more or less) always old. 

I'll quote examples from movies because you haven't read the comic books - Green Goblin (Norman Osbourne) is a rich industrialist and the father of Peter Parker's best friend - thus, older than Spiderman. Doctor Octopus, middle-aged scientist - older than Spiderman. The Abomination (Emil Blonsky) is a middle-aged M-16 agent - and thus older than the hero - the Hulk. The Iron Monger (Obadiah Stane) is waaay older than Iron Man (Tony Stark).

That's just society - old is a negative stereotype. Which brings me to the second point...

B. "If you were the game master what would YOU challenge Ranbir to?"

Removing the politically-corrent screen, the question translates to:

If you were not old, haggard, obviously better dressed and less of an embarassment, what challenges would you put forth as a smashing young (possibly 16 to 26 years old) individual?

So young blood:1, old supervillain: 0.

As for getting comments, young people (usually) don't have the upper hand of respect from peers, age, the ability to withhold pocket-money and threaten to curb deadlines. So despite the lack of 'tech-savvyness' (which makes you sound old again, they have the glorious upper hand of CONTROL over peers and the younglings alike. 

It's reverance. Not irreverance.

Points 3, 4: Please have a look at my article - not to blow my trumpet supersonic but there's a fine line between irreverance and senile, dead humour. And there are many more 'younger' posts out there... And I'm considering all parameters here.

Point 8: Who cares? Seriously? We do, as readers. When the same topic is churned over and over again (I mean, even the newspapers stopped doing that), it gets repetitive and boring for us readers. Using the PR inflicted, love triangle angle just makes ones' article look typecast and dull. And again, repetitive. Repetitive.

My point is - don't do funny if you can't do funny. I'll submit another cliche here (sorry) but think OUT OF THE BOX!

Yes. Checkmate.

Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Renie

Thanks a lot, man!

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Since you're offended and the chief editor of your site, I'm assuming you're in the wrinklier side of 30s.

- It seems the problem with you is you assume a lot without verifying the facts. Wink You can just ask me straight without assuming distorted facts and I am not a indian film actor to hide my age Tongue out

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

About your first assumption - point A

Again it ends up being assumption and a bad assumption. You seem to be in state of eteranal assumption, aren't you? And seems to be in a world of your own that you are the only one around who lived in a diet of DC , Marvel and for othes DC just means Washington DC Undecided

And further you go on blitzkrieg assumption:

Point to be noted here ma'am: Villains are (more or less) always old. 

FYKI, I am a guy. Please spare time to verify rather than assume. *sighs* Talks a lot about you isn't it?

And don't forget it (more of less) the old who dishes the comic fares... be it in comic books or in movies. The creators are more are less old.

And rest is again your rantings based on assumption. The problem you made is taking me on assuming am old according to your calculation Wink 

Stop assuming and get into real debate. First of all your take that 40 plus bloggers should not be competing in this contest itself is based on the free expression based on blogging. And what you mean is young? Just less that whatever age you are ? Wink 

Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Lakshmi

Firstly, extremely sorry for the gender mishmash. My apologies extend to all the Kirans and Harpreets of the world as well.

And don't forget it (more of less) the old who dishes the comic fares... be it in comic books or in movies. The creators are more are less old. 

And again, I foil your attempt at a justification. And why you may ask? Because unlike you, sir, I actually know what I'm saying (except maybe when I'm 'assuming' your age/gender, of course). Tongue out

Going by your assumption that it's more or less the 'old' who dish out 'comic fares', all the major comic icon creators should've been at least 40 when they created their characters. So going by YOUR ASSUMPTION, Jerry Siegel wasn't 19 when he came up with Superman, Bob Kane wasn't 23 when the first Batman comic was published, Lee Falk wasn't 23 when the first Phantom strip came out, Stan Lee wasn't 19 (again) when he created Captain America and Alan Moore wasn't already 24 when he created his long celebrated works - Watchmen/ V for Vendetta and Todd McFarlane wasn't 26 when he came out with Spawn. And these are only the greatest comic book creators who ever lived. Of course, since YOUR ASSUMPTION is primarily based on, well, nothing - I believe the expression is 'pwnage'.

Please feel free to look all this up on Wikipedia. :)

Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Cool ... so seems like you did a bit of research. Good. But now tell me how many of this great creators stopped work when they crossed your cursed 40 plus? Wink They went on to create... and no one told them to stop doing their work.

So just get on blogging and don't feel insecure about others. If you are good at what you are, people will like you for that regardless of your age.  I got nothing personal with you but then just that don't compare with others... just be what you are and excel in it Smile

Sachin Arya
Sachin Arya
from Pilani
14 years ago

Hi Utsav...

Cool down dude.. its becoming hot in here...:)

Anyway,

I am not participating in this contest, but have surely voted for some good posts....you got some good points in there but,

- This campaign though has TG as youth, but exact demographic definition of 'youngistan' is debatable...they will never say that its 12-24 or 8-19 or 10-30 age group....being young is a very contentious and personal topic...show me one guy who says - damn! I am no longer young...Even Dev Anand wouldn't agree to that...

Moreover, Pepsi would not mind if they are able to reach out to just more than young people, becuase its not only young people that drink pepsi...its the positioning they want to create among so many aerated drinks space..e.g. Thums Up..is action oriented...coca cola is harping on friendship and family theme for some time...sprite is talking honesty as they don't have any celebrity endorser, limca is about freshness..so its just to create a different brand image...how that would translate into sales is a different ball game...

- Allowing the contest to be taken by only old people, don't agree...new bloggers, may be...But how would you set the parameter - blogging start date or minimum no. of post or no. of hits? too complicated, and I agree that it would be discriminating...Moreover, as you rightly pointed out that Pepsi would like to have max publicity, it makes sense the competition should be opened to blogs with good following...

Keep blogging mate,

Sachin

P.S. looked at your contest entries, found them interesting and have voted for you... ;)

Shreya Sen
Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
14 years ago

Utsav, I can more or less sympathize with the rest of your rants but as to the first point, what are you?insecure? a person is only as old as they feel(cliche blah yet true). so seriously quit whining and write the darned post if you're up for it.

Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Sachin

Sorry to be a little brash about a very simple topic, but once an insult-blogger always an insult-blogger, right? Tongue out

And you are right about a lot of aspects. Except that if an old lady with married kids or an middle-aged uncle with a good-ish job are taking away a prize (monetary) that too, in a contest called 'Youngistan Ka Wow'... it can be a real blow to your self-esteem as a blogger as well as individual. More so, if you're the intended TG.  And especially when the articles written by them are a blander fare than boiled potatoes. :) 

Also since, they have the upper-hand of people reverring them (mostly for their age) and listening to their pleas. We as young people don't really have that advantage.

But either ways, I get your point and frankly, it carries more weightage than post comments/ rebuttals put forth here... :P

Also, thanks for voting for me. Your pressure cookers and shawls are underway... :D But seriously, thanks.

@ Lakshmi

I'm glad to see that you've held your composure while I was engaging in an almost childish, semi-flame-war. Again, sorry. I tend to get carried away - my posts will tell you that any day.

But sir, being good at what you are doesn't really apply in most places. Case in point:

http://chaptersfrommylife.blogspot.com/2010/04/april-2010-youngistaan-ka-wow-contest.html

150 plus comments.

http://illegalbriefs.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/its-pep-see/

115 comments.

As for quality, wackiness, size, interactivity of the posted comments, quality of comments, humour (or lack of it, thereof) and the general 'youth quotient' aspect, I'm not going to say anything. You can be the judge of that. Entirely.

I'm not withholding their creative licenses - they can post all they want about 'youth related stuff' since they might be 'young-at-heart' and all that... But using this oppurtunity to throw their weight around, by writing below-par, mediocre articles, getting the most comments to win a contest for money (At their well-settled ages). All thanks to respect, none whatsoever for actual admiration/ creativity.

Aptly put: It's literally like stealing candy from a baby. :P

@ Shreya

I did write the post. Check the second link. Which one's better, you be the judge of that - as for which one has the most comments, you can see them for yourself.

And a 50 plus aunty winning a 'Youngistan Ka Wow' contest which she's obviously doing for the money AND with zero creativity as input, ironic as it may be, sounds like justice served to you? Tongue out

There.

LockSign in to reply to this thread