Just Voted and Not read

Mukul Gupta
Mukul Gupta
from Delhi
13 years ago

For a quite sometime I have noticed that some of the Posts in Indivine are Just Voted and the people do not bother to read them. If this is going like this then it seems the whole point of writing and posting it here is defeated ...

I would like if some one would add on anything on this ??

Replies 1 to 12 of 12 Descending
Mukul Gupta
Mukul Gupta
from Delhi
13 years ago

Yes I agree Nishant with you ..It is highly wrong that people here have started Voting someone just by Reading the name of the Post ...cant be more humorous ... and they all call them Bloggers...I myself got zero vote here for one post and in actual sense the same post has maximum amount of views and comments ..

Soo this shows where this site is going ?? The ranks are given on the basis of amount of posting which I have objected many times earlier also ... 

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

This topic has been discussed widely many times and now let me give my few paisa thoughts over this from my perspective.

Yes, I do promote many posts. Let me start from this statement. Now my point of view for my action.

1. I vote people whom i feel does a good blogging and deserve a better exposure in indivine.

2. Sometimes many posts even if that may not of my liking but which i feel others may like, gets lost coz of lack of voting. So I vote. So that it floats further for more exposure and others read it.

3. Many post i may not immediatley click to go and read. I may promote now and read it later whenever i have my own sweet time. And I cannot wait till I read to vote by that time, the 48 hrs limelight would be gone past.

4.Almost everyon that I have promoted I have visited their blog. I may or may not have commented that depends on when i visited. If am middle of work and reading inbetween, usually i dont comment. Sometimes, I may have thot of visiting later to comment but honestly i would have forgotten. When people visit my blog, I do visit them back.

Finally, Bloggers are just human don't forget - no one is an idealistic lot. lets be practical and realistic.

- www.gingerchai.com

Mukul Gupta
Mukul Gupta
from Delhi
13 years ago

Laksmi : Thats good if you do that because thats is the very point of doing such a thing and participating in contests ... 

http://mukulwrites.blogspot.com/

i have a pretty strict rule for this.............i try to read all of the posts i promote.........whatever and whom so ever has writtern........i do have favouties in the community whom i promote without reading but they are just a few bunch of ppl......

and i do not promote totally strange blogger's posts......if i haven't read him/her even for once.............

Vasu
Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

Great debate guys!

Lakshmi, my view is pretty closely aligned to yours. But what could hapen quite frequently, is a very subtle "You pat my back, and I pat yours" behaviour. As in you voted for XYZ without reading their blog, because they voted for yours.

I am getting a bit on the idealistic side here, but am wondering if there is a way Indivine could be modified such that you will not be allowed to vote on a post, unless you clicked on the post URL and opened it.

Does it make sense to have this rule? Is it feasible to implement technically,k if you guys agree with me that it is a good idea?

Cheers!

Vasu

Prasant Naidu
from Pune
13 years ago

Vasu great point but tell me even if you click the post and don't read, just vote. Coming to your patiing on the back thing. My point is that we don't do to strangers. For example I was promoted to another site for one of my post by a regular visitor. this happened when I and the other person have been visitng each others blog and commented logically when we felt it's right to do. So it's kind of a virtual trust we build on bloging too. don't you think so ?.

PN

http://beesocietal.blogspot.com/ (b)

http://rationalthoughts30.blogspot.com/ (p)

Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

@PN: Yes and No.

I know the trend you mentioned, where you would promote a person whose blogs youlike in general, and he does the same to you. I do that myself, and, as Lakshmi said, read them later. I do not necessarily comment for a multitude of reasons, but when I do, it is always a genuine and thoughtful comment. I am aslo happy to have such readers on my blog and hene there is an environment of mutual respect.

But there is another trend that Mukaul has been harping on where people vote without reading your blog, or knowing you, and it is only to get votes on thier posts. I am not nitpicking here as we can do very little about it. At the end of the day, you expect everyone to behave like mature adults and can't do much to manage behaviour.

That is why I was asking if we could explore technical solutions where people are forced to visit a blog (obiviously you can't force a comment and you should not!), before they can vote for it.

Cheers!

Vasu

Mukul Gupta
Mukul Gupta
from Delhi
13 years ago

Yes Vasu thats a nice idea ..I don't know if that is possible or not being illiterate here haha ... But Indeed that only makes sense... I hate when people come out speaking that You comment on my blog and I would do in your or for that matter joining someone's blog!! 

I hope Moderators to keep check on the debates here and hope they are making a good point of it 

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

Technically, it it possible to see if a person has clicked on a link, but it has it's issues and can be easily bypassed. How about we set a limit on the number of votes per minute? Let's say a blogger votes for 25 posts in less than 2-3 minutes, we could put a cap on it and disallow any more votes (for that blogger alone) for the next few minutes. There's no way anyone can read that fast! Or, if not a cap, at least a gentle popup reminder...

Muralidhar Duvvuri
from Visakhapatnam
13 years ago

@renie instead wouldn't it be better if a widget be developed which needs to be put up in the blogs only from where a blog can be promoted.......the blogs can still be displayed in indivine.....atleast this might partly help, if it is implementable of course :)

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

Love the idea... and yes, it's technically feasible.. but unfortunately it would affect the usability of IndiVine.. many bloggers would shy away from adding another widget to their blogs... and we would have to use a custom field with each post linking to their IndiVine post id...

Himanshu
from Delhi
13 years ago

Na na Renie.

I guess what Murali here is talking about is just a bar on the top of blog when it is opened through Indivine.  For example, please check out DIGG and blogcatalog.

The bar appears only when you open it via the respective sites.

Jayanth Tadinada
Jayanth Tadinada
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I like Murlidhar's idea... that way more people will be drawn towards indiblogger which is good too :)

Mukul Gupta
Mukul Gupta
from Delhi
13 years ago

Yes Jayanta I have notices that fact quite too often .. I am also posted that here but It seems very few are bothered to alter that ...its just been u scratch my arm and I will scratch yours unfortunately !!!!

Prasant Naidu
from Pune
13 years ago

my thought is that you can't force anyone to read or comment on your blog. on asecond thought if 10 people read your blog, i guess 1/2 comment on it for various reasons :) ultimately it's the post and interaction will draw crowd to you and if not then walk to the crowd dude. see i am here in indiblogger for a year and i blog quite rarely. i have limited followers but i am happy that i have genuine ones :)

Loganathan
from Chennai
13 years ago

I'm completely with Prasant Naidu on this. Common guys, We are all bloggers. It is a matter of discipline. Forcing someone to comment or view a blog is a child's game. As a blogger, you are more satisfied with genuine followers than the number of page hits and comments. Nothing would be ideal to deal with this issue. It is with the bloggers themselves to be disciplined in going through the post before voting.

Vasu
Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

@Renie: Your suggestion would be a great start in my opinion. Kindly take feedback from others and take a call if you want to implement this. You have one vote at least :)

@Murali: The idea is fantastic, but I know for a fact that wordpress.com does not allow any widgets with scripts. So if we have to come up with any such widget, it has to be usable across all blog sites. I would leave that feasibility to Renie's team

@Jayanta: I have noticed that too. But till such time we have a solution, I wold say don't give up hope. Keep posting on Indivine and contributing and in a fw months you would be a veteran. Remember all these people who have so many votes is because of content plus time spent in making their blogs popular. No harm putting in the effort, while at the same time being true to your conscience by voting only on blogs you liked reading!

Cheers!

Vasu

Mukul Gupta
Mukul Gupta
from Delhi
13 years ago

There has been this trend that people have started Posting reviewing the blog and in turn they give preferences( quoting this thing openly) to those who comment on theirs..At one of such post I also gave my Website and found it interesting that the lady didn't review it and reviewed other while thanking them for commenting on her blog..and the reviews were just awesome mind you hahaha..I just feel like laughing at these cheap tactics of some to promote their Blog and that too for Nothing... 

I fail to understand what will that one comment fetch them..the whole Point of Blogging looks bleak by such tactics.. 

Abhinav
Abhinav
from Osaka city/Japan
13 years ago

Yes, someone needs to rise and take some sort of inititative into it.Reciprocating is a good thing, But non-read promotion of someone else, just so that he promotes us is not.

Build Muscle Burn Fat

LockSign in to reply to this thread