IndiRank Upgrade - suggestions please!

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

Now that we're done making a few small upgrades to IndiVine and the Forum, it's time to look at IndiRank. Addy, you just may be able to crack all the jokes you want this month! Smile

We're looking for suggestions/feedback/critique here - anything goes. A few questions to get the ball rolling:

1. Should we make our algorithm public or would that promote gaming?
  2. Are there any other influential factors we can include, aside from PageRank, Alexa, Frequency, etc.?
  3. What information would you like to see as part of your IndiStats?
  4. Should we increase the frequency of updates, or would that diminish the value of IndiRank updates?
  5. The stats are available only to those who are logged in. Would you like an export option / widget so that you can share it with your readers?
Edited 12 years ago
Reason: Typo!
Replies 1 to 20 of 69 Descending
Lazy Pineapple
Lazy Pineapple
from Pune
13 years ago

Yes it would be a good idea if we could export our stats. Also, if we could get an idea how many pages are getting indexed IN Google, it would be a great help. 

Backlinks is another bit of info which would be good. I think once a month is a good frequency, if we have it too often then the value of Indirank will get diluted. 

Actually the reason people still look forward to the IndiRank is the mystery of it ... by letting the algorithm out there is a definite chance of gaming .. 

However, IndiRank should also be also based on your networks on Indiblogger, if you have a network of high ranked individuals you gain some points for that as well .. ?? Just a suggestion. 

No please do not increase freequency, just ensure thats its on time Wink 

Magali Vaz
Magali Vaz
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I think it would be nice if we could export our stats but I don't think you guys should make the algorithm public, it would spoil all the fun! 

subups
subups
from Thiruvananthapuram
13 years ago

1. Don't make the algorithm public. We have faith in Renie and team playing fair!! But you can always give hint on what are the factors being considered without explicitly stating the algorithm. 2. Activity of the blogger in Indiblogger domain can also be considered for those whose rank come above 75 or 80. Along with blog frequency I hope you are considering the length of each post too.3. The existing info on Indistats is enough. You can also consider adding some indivine statistics also,viz the number of indivine submissions and total number of votes gained, the total number of votes given4.One month frequency of update is OK5. Exporting stats by way of widgets will be a nice addition. Thanks Subu.ps

Guha Rajan
Guha Rajan
from Chennai
13 years ago

Indiranking is fine, have a suggestion about monthly presentation of the best blog articles, but not sure how feasible it would be,

Some of the blog article quality is really great, at times it gets lost (may be blogger is a new or not popular). If there a way to post the top blog articles by the bloggers on category basis, within indiblogger on a monthly basis?.

I am aware of indivine has the feature to promote a blog article by the readers, but this needs to be looked into as I have a feeling that some of the article are getting promoted even without the bloggers reading the article. This needs to be prevented. 

Aditya Tibrewala
Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@ Renie

A lot of updates have been suggested all over the forum for a really long time but we all are still awaiting some improvements. Here are my suggestions all over again.

> Please make it indiscore as it is not a rank. You guys just end up making a joke of yourselves by still calling it 'rank'

> My rank widget is flawed and the format always gets messed up, probably because of a long blog url.

> can daily viewer count similar to google analytics get incorporated in indirank? it would be very helpful as we dont have to use two different analytics for blog traffic calculation

Sorry for being overtly critical but its a long time since weve seen updates or improvements

Lalit Singh Chowdhary
Lalit Singh Chowdhary
from Gurgaon
13 years ago

Renie, there you should limit the number of bloggers that share same rank. Tens of people sharing same rank is not so much of a rank but a grade or Indiscore as Aditya suggests.

It is difficult to scroll blogs by rank. All the non-ranked blogs are on the top of the list of each category.

Digital Inspiration is sharing Rank 90 at the bottom of the Technology Blogs is almost shocking and one wonders what the ranking algorithm could be, but will let Amit worry about that for now!

Abhinav
Abhinav
from Osaka city/Japan
13 years ago

Hi Renie

Apart from frequency of blogging, could the overall popularity of the blog be taken into consideration. The overall trafiic that the blog is receiving and overall backlinks it is gaining. Sure, page rank is an important count too, but some blogs already have a PR before being submitted to Indiblogger.

A Short Question that often strikes my mind: Does the Indirank show the ranking since the blog entered indiblogger, or its overall performance(Not considering from when it was submitted to indiblogger)

Build Muscle Burn Fat

Karthik DR
Karthik DR
from New Delhi
13 years ago

@Subups: We cannot take length of the post into consideration. Not necessarily, long posts are of more effort and more sense!@Guharajan: Yea, thats understandable, but I don't think  we can prevent people from promoting a post without reading it. Its true that some people just promote a post just because its their friend's or they just like the author in general but its also possible that they have read the post in the blog itself and when they found it submitted in IndiVine, they just promote it.@Aditya & @Lalit: I actually like it being called IndiRank. There are milion sites that share the same Google page rank! Suggestions:1) No please don't make the algorithm public.2) Is it too harsh to say "If you want to be a better blogger, then be a lil bit more technical?", cos I think we should add SEO as a factor for Ranking! I'm sure Google Page rank already takes that into consideration, but they dont update for at least 6 months in a row and Indiranking is much more frequent. Doesn't it make sense fo us to chk how SEO friendly a blog is as well, as part of the ranking?3) I think it would be great to know which of my posts are responsible for the rank I have currently. Is it possible to keep a track of that? Atleast the top 5 posts that are responsible.4) Current frequency is fine.5) An export option would be great.

I support Aditya. The first thing that should be done is to correct the name. The name should be IndiRating or IndiScore or anything else that indicates "the higher the better." IndiRank inherently implies "the lower the better." This has been discussed in the forums before and I hope something will be done this time.

Don't make the algo public.

Indiaspirituality
Indiaspirituality
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@aditya and @ Raja Indrajit- I agree with you regarding proper name (Indirating)

@renie -  Please Don't make the algorithm public. It is working fine.

Some blogs may not get justice, but that you have already explained limitations. Nothing is perfect and this needs to be accepted.

Monthly frequency is fine.

Suggestions - Consider the popularity of  blog not just on Indiblogger, but the daily hits of blog's main url and sub-urls.

According to www.thenextweb.com, Google recently included sites which load faster. Do you think this point is worth consideration.

Naveen
Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Yeah a widget to show off our stats would be cool Tongue out 

Then how about changing the name from Indi-Rank to Indi-Stats because, when i got my 1st rank, i was of the view that a rank of 51 is better than a rank of 70, because Ranking means the lesser the number is, the better it is. So it might give a wrong impression to the ones seeing it from outside. So why don't we make it Indi-marks or something like that? Laughing

The frequency should not be changed, even though there is excitement because, then it would be like the present tragedy in cricket, when there is a world event every year or so and people lose the excitement of waiting for four years! :D So once a month is the best!

Naveen
Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Oh, missed out another thing, may be add a point or two for the number of comments received by the user or blog!? Higher comments means, better blogs and better liked by the readers. So it directly shows the quality of content right?! Wink

I just want to know if the number of followers you have should affect the rank. I think its more fair to base the rank on all the other stats we have but the follower count could be a little biased. By the follower count I mean the promote this blog vote....I for one read a lot of them but sometimes don't promote or am unable to!

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I LOVE IndiRank!!! Kiss

And I don't think that you should change its name or make the algo public! and those who cry over IndiRank "not being fair" should just ignore it, use another criterion to see their progress (or the lack of it), stop criticizing it in the forum (I really hate them from the bottom of my heart for doing that Yell) and yes of course GET A LIFE!!!

And I think the number of hits on the blog can also be used as a parameter, and the number of beers the blogger have had that month, and the number of times he/she got so drunk, they blacked out is a point to be considered! Negative points for puking! Frown

the number of "jokes" cracked in the forum on IndiRank......... I truly believe this should be the Top Priority!

BTW send me an Indiblogger tee!! Hows that for a suggestion Renie? Tongue out

Gurdit
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Hey there, have you just had some beer or something? ;)

(Just a joke, buddy, please don't take it seriously)

Zap!
from Hyderbad
13 years ago

I am sure he wont :P

Witty Jester
Witty Jester
from Pune
13 years ago

Hey I would like to share an idea or two too.

Firstly the algo,I Guess is better off being a secret just for the thrill of it, and secondly everyone has a fair idea about how the ranking is based(atleast a hint).

Secondly people have suggested that indirank should consider backlinks and traffic(popularity),well Page rank considers backlinks and the alexa rank covers the traffic details hence we do not need to consider them seperately.

Also there have been some suggestions of rank based on the activity we carry out at indiblogger; like people in the network,Indivine votes,post lengths etc.Well seriously I think this is not a good idea because there are certain people who are more active on the indiblogger then others so it would be unfair,and the rank must only be based on global constants like PR,alexa rank,etc.

Finally the frequency of once a month is apt,being more frequent  i guess it will loose its importance.

Seriously I don't care whatever you call it,all the same for me.

I would like to echo the sentiments of addy,it is perfect as it is,I didnot suggest any improvements,I merely refuted some suggestions ;)

Gurdit
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I agree with not factoring in activity on Indiblogger to contribute to the Indirank/Score. If you are giving marks to the blog for the quality of the blog, then the amount of time spent by the author for social networking on Indiblogger should not count towards the blog quality score.

Richa
Richa
from London
13 years ago

Hi everyone..

Whats the point of ranks and grades, we are here to write and enjoy the world of blogging. Remember "We Blog, Therefore we are here". SO  whats the point of ranks and grades (or it is our typical mentality to have to have ranks, grades to make ourself higher than other which give us some kind of eternal bliss). 

People blog for their good, please don't make it competitive. There are various group of people who blog, some blog and browse other blog daily, but some do it on their availability. Do you think all these ranking criteria will do justice for them.  So Please Please better off with the ranks and grades and let people enjoy writing and reading with no ranks and grades in their mind. 

Hope you take my suggestion into consideration.

Indiaspirituality
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I agree

Sonia Kathuria
Sonia Kathuria
from New Delhi
13 years ago

its an interesting idea ofcourse

Mag[m]
Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

RENIE....

Hey renie , INDIRANK...it is the heart of indiblogger so plz dont change itrs name and dont make ranking algorithm public, but just the deciding criterian should be more widen like other factors must b included.....

Meera Raghavendra Rao
Meera Raghavendra Rao
from Chennai
13 years ago

How can I get my rank on indiblogger appear on my blog? Could you please give the procedure?

Regards

Meera

Shashank
from New Delhi
13 years ago

Go here: http://www.indiblogger.in/widgets.php

Select your blog and that's it!

LockSign in to reply to this thread