R for REVIEW!

Abhinav
Abhinav
from Chennai
13 years ago

Hola bloggers,

I am new to Indiblogger and after a bit of snooping around, I found out this great thing called forum where people ask reviews for their blogs. I was very happy to see a lot of people eagerly reviewing and asking for reviews at the same time. I too have asked and dished out a few reviews!

Asking for a review :

A lot of people, correct me if I am wrong, tread with trepidation when asking for a review. They think asking for a review is akin to promoting their own blogs, which people think is wrong. I disagree. You see, be it an artist, a poet, a writer, an actor et al., everybody loves it when their work is appreciated (or not, but still people are talking about them and their works aren't they?). And a blog is a medium for an ordinary man to pour out his views, thoughts, ideas and what not to the world. So there is nothing wrong in promoting your blog. And it gives me immense pleasure when somebody who has read my blog gives his opinions on it. The bad comments are in fact better appreciated because it makes you realise that there are people who take your rants seriously enough to disagree on a few points.

So, never feel ashamed to promote your blog. It's after all your creation which you want to share with the world.

Giving a review :

The reviews given out so far are a general description of what they think about the blog. It is very lukewarm and does not exactly convey the reviewer's feelings. And worse sometimes, people ramble on about the layout and templates. Who cares man? Just make sure your blog is readable. Thats it. Concentrate on the content.

Oh and by the way, if you want a review, reply with you blog links. And I am stating before hand...I won't be able to read all your posts (if anyone replies i.e). But i will give my honest (sometimes brutal...don't crib later that I didn't warn you) views on a few of your posts which I find interesting or bad. And yeah, you have to do the same for my blog too...

http://abhinavj.wordpress.com

a bit of self-promotion never hurts anyone does it?Tongue out

Cheers!!

Edited 13 years ago
Reason: making bold a heading!
Replies 1 to 12 of 12 Descending
Himanshu
Himanshu
from Delhi
13 years ago

Hmmm...

well... gimme some time to check ur blog out...! till then have fun with mine! ;-)

http://hshekhar.blogspot.com

Abhinav
from Chennai
13 years ago

Hola Himanshu,

First of all hats off to your blog. Loved the patriotism. 

Also, I like the way you write. Especially the angry undertone in a few of your posts, like the MF Hussein one or the Naxal one. Anger and passion are your drive I guess. Sometimes though, I feel you get carried away a bit too much, in the sense that, you are not open for feedback.

The next time, you write something out of anger, try to do it a bit more objectively. I am not such a firm believer in God, so those paintings didn't affect me and remember, MF Hussein too is a hypocrite like us all!

Also, like I said, I didn't read all your posts. But was touched by whatever I read. Your blog is a must read for all Indians

Cheers!

Himanshu
from Delhi
13 years ago

Hey Abhinav,

Thanks a tonne for your review and appreciation! My apologies for not replying earlier as i had made a point not to review your blog until i made myself read 10 posts atleast. Yes, anger and passion drive me, hence the name, RAGE! I will definitely look out for more feedback. I though about it and it may be because i believe in what i write. Thats why i write only a couple of times in a month.

Now your R for review-

You have a Effortless flow in your writings. You pluck simple issues and compel people to go through what you have to say. What struck me most was the underlying variety of your posts eg. Real sex (social issue), Mera Beta (Personal rant), Eve's apple (poetry) to Music reviews! You do it all!

Although a couple of times i felt the posts just went a tad too long but then itna to chalta hai! I am no expert in blogging but would like to suggest you a few things. Discard them if you like!

1) Jazz up ur page man! Yeah, we all like simplicity but a little bit of color here and there won't hurt anybody's eyes!

2) Where are the RSS links, google connect and Social media icons? I wanted to take a feed of your site on my reader but was unable to find and RSS icon. Similarly wanted to share Real sex... with my Facebook friends but had to coply paste the entire link. no quick options. Atleast 5 people have read that article through my facebook page. You will gain audience rapidly. (Will compromise the 'Ganga sa Pavitra' snow-white look of your site but is effective, trust me)

3. Try and incorporate a header for your site under which you can compile your posts. A separate section for reviews, fun, misc, serious etc.

The list is building and i am embarassed. But on a personal note, i loved your gripping style of writing. Would love to see you write more on serious topics which young people need to know.

Best Regards

Abhinav
from Chennai
13 years ago

will do man! thanks....

cheers!!!

Abhinav
Abhinav
from Osaka city/Japan
13 years ago

AbhinavJ

Asking for a review in forums = promoting yur blog.

That is true and you are doing it too now.Unless you add some value for everyone in the post you put up in forum, you are just advertising. For blog review, there is a special section in INDIBLOGGER. Have you even bothered to check that out.

Build Muscle Burn Fat

Abhinav
from Chennai
13 years ago

hi!

ah! another abhinav! nice to hear from you. 

of course I am advertising. The value of this post? hmm...probably to tell people there is nothing wrong with advertising.Wink and at the same time give my own take on hw to review and try giving out a few reviews (not that I am an expert or anything). 

As for the special review section, tried it out mate. But I am selfish. you see if I give a review, I want (at least hope a review back). That doesn't seem to be happening there and I figured asking there and here would be the same. And also, I could share a few extra pointers here (everything my own opinions---an amateur's take u cud call it)...thts abt it

Cheers!

Abhinav
from Chennai
13 years ago

oh and btw, this discussion---totally incongruous in the blog review section. get my point?

Susam Pal
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Hi Abhinav, the one from Chennai. It is good to discuss whether advertising your blogs is appropriate in this forum. The answer to the question has usually been "NO", especially because there are special sections in Indiblogger which are meant for this very thing.

Many people find promotions like these annoying as it pushes down the other meaningful discussions down in the list.

This thing has been covered in the FAQ. Quoting from there.

Can I promote my blog? Sure, you can promote your blog - but ensure that your promotion is relevant. Posting a topic about your blog or your latest blog post (no matter how brilliant it is) is frowned upon by the community. However, if you have blogged about something relevant that can add value to an existing topic, then by all means - post a link to your blog post! You may only post a fresh topic about your blog in the "Review my Blog" category.

sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Hi Abhinav,

I read your blog (not all posts, but many of them), and i must say your writing is very good.

you talk about the social issues and looks like you are doing good homework before writing them Smile

Good work.... keep it up.

And now it is time for my blog's review.... http://swetatiwary.blogspot.com/

Waiting to here from you.

Abhinav
from Chennai
13 years ago

Hola Sweta

Your blog was an interesting read...though I personally have a lot of bittersweet opinions about it, which I am going to tell you...

First, the sweet thing about sugarfree is that your posts are original and good...you write about everyday things from your life and the people around you with great zeal. Your posts are presented in a readable and to-the-point format which ensures that the reader is not bored or carried away. 

Your blogs tell me you are a really happy person, who always likes to see the bright side of things. It's an awesome way to go about things...never change!

And I seriously believe you have to continue painting. I have always been envious of people who could draw and you can do it really well. The rendering of the paintings as well the women you have drawn (loved them) are beautiful. So, like I said, you must pursue art further. And like your Restroom Ghupshup and Shadi Aaj Kal posts too...awesome read.

Now, the bitter things, and I might sound very brutal here but you asked for it...Your english I feel is grammatically lacking, and I have no other way to put it. You have beautiful concepts which are not put across the way they have o be. Your readers deserve more. Now I do not know if it happens by mistake (you might be in a hurry to complete writing) or you are ignorant, but whatever the reason, you have to improve. The Guilt story was really good but I had to read through it with a frown...Try using the spell check and grammar check options blogger provides and if not, better type it in word, get rid of those errors and publish your posts. It would be really amazing then.

I really hope you take this in the right sense and don't go about cursing me Wink...I just said what I felt and I am no expert. Never give up writing and read more to improve on it because reading, I find, helps you improve in a lot of dimensions and not just constrained to languages. And do tell me what you think of the review because I want to know how much of an impact I have made...

Cheers!

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Thanks a lot Abhinav for the review and your time.

you are very true about the language errors, which is the result of my ignorance.

I am trying to improve Smile

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

You posted this thread in the wrong category!!

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Why won't you review my blog yet? Yell

Abhinav
from Chennai
13 years ago

well mainly because you didn't "ask" for it! now that yo have, on it Laughing

Abhinav
from Chennai
13 years ago

Hola addy,

The Addy Brainwave is a very good read. I was actually moved to the point of thinking I have found another self-conceited prick not unlike me, when I read the Who is Addy page Tongue out

Jokes apart, your sense of humor is awesome. I loved your waiting room post and the one where ur sister and cousing give you a pedicure. Hilarious ****e. Also, what I like about your writing is the fact that you use dialog between people to covey your story or incidents that have happened. That itself increases the humor to a certain level because, we engineering students (ur an ex and I am current) mostly talk crap.

Also, I loved the hot cakes thingy in ur blog. The maximum topics you write on are Crap and girls. Hats off. 

If there are any flaws in ur blog, well its mainly because I feel u concentrate too much on stuff not important...no not ur writings but the ****loads of widgets you have. It makes ur content area very small and does not do for comfortable reading. (since i am very lazy, a lot of scrolling down pisses me off). Apart from that, I would also suggest you write on serious topics at least once in a while and stop writing about the blog in the blog. Because there was one post too many there about the brainwave.

Cheers!

Abhinav
from Chennai
13 years ago

oh and also the ****'s are the other word for crap. an S followed by HIT!

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

thanks a ton for the awesome review man!

Yeah I know about the template, everyone tell me that, but as you know 'we engineers' are lazy people and I'm too lazy to download another free one and well customizing it? Ha that would be a back stabbing to laziness if I ever as much as though about that!

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Hi Abhinav, good to see another reviewer on the block. Feel free to review my blog @ http://mohanbn.com/blog/

If you find enough time, feel free to review my newly launched technology blog @ http://techiez.net/

Looking forward to see your inputs :)

Just a pen in my hand
Just a pen in my hand
from Agartala
13 years ago

hey Abhinav , please take some time out to give a review about my blog......

http://darkcoffeebeans.blogspot.com

Sanchita
Sanchita
from United Kingdom
13 years ago

Hi Abhinav,

Here is mine. Smile

Chilli & Chocolate

Thanks,

Sanchita.

Just a pen in my hand
Just a pen in my hand
from Agartala
13 years ago

@sanchita.....u jus made me hungry for those !!! Smile

Pratik Das
Pratik Das
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

hi abhinav,(chennai),

saw ur blog dude.really lyked it. well i m writing somwhat on the same lines. wud be happy if u take a luk at my blog & give ur opinion

Pratik Das
Pratik Das
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

hi abhinav,(chennai),

saw ur blog dude.really lyked it. well i m writing somwhat on the same lines. wud be happy if u take a luk at my blog & give ur opinion

Amit Purohit
Amit Purohit
from Ahmedabad
13 years ago

hey i need a review of my blog.

www.shayar4u4ever.blogspot.com

thanks in advance

LockSign in to reply to this thread