Bloggers as 'Social' Journalists?

Payal Shah Karwa
Payal Shah Karwa
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Blogging is a format of social media. It was created to personalise content and generate interaction and conversations. So don't you think we, serious bloggers, can apply to be recognised as 'blogger - journalists? By etymology, we work the same way they do - make a log on a daily basis of something new which affects our lives.

The objective of creating a social-journalist:

'Amass interactive and real public opinion on any topic of large public interest to initiate socially beneficial change'

Bloggers as Social Journalists: The point is, if bloggers are recognised as social journalists, there are several mutual benefits for various categories of people:

• We can help amplify and get honest public opinion on a seething political issue like scams, or a particular political leader. Maybe with the power of people's voice, we can file PIL against  a scam or such issues.?
  • We can report commercial events like brand launches, promotional events, trend-stories etc and help generate opinions or responses without being influenced by any external force or individual for commercial interest 
  • We can fish out reality or true events while reporting a matter, without sensationalising the matter like most media do for eyeballs. This will give an unbiased opinion of news and the only opinion it would generate is that of the people.

Can anyone cite more such benefits? Maybe we could create a recognised forum of 'bloggers' who could qualify as a social journalist and write about their respective beat? For instance If I am a techno-freak why wouldn't Microsoft ot Apple invite me to their press conferences or webinars? Or if I blog about cars, maybe I should be on the media list of all PR agencies handling car clients?

And how is the blogger compensated? Well, a social-journalist does not mean social work :) But since it an unpaid form of work, they can look at Googleads or other forms of the usual revenue streams for their blogs. Any other suggestions?

In a nutshell - Let's have Bloggers as Social Journalists.

Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Descending
Vinoth
Vinoth
from Tiruchengode
13 years ago

Really social thinking,Sounds good !

Actually i too thought of emerging blogging platforms develope Social Journalists via creating updated info sharing with social concerns.

Firoze Shakir
Firoze Shakir
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Great Post I second your views the blogger and the journalist are two integral sides of the same coin , one gets paid the other gets laid.. laid off...

no pun intended

Payal Shah Karwa
Payal Shah Karwa
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@firoze - haha, quite 'punny' though that thought! Wink

LockSign in to reply to this thread