Commonwealth Games, 2010?

Ankita
Ankita
from Noida
13 years ago

Everyone of us must have heard about Commonwealth Games, 2010 being held in India, right?

What do you all think about it? Will it or will it not work out right? Do you, or do you not support the CW Games?

Personally, I have full faith in India, even if it doesn't work out right, it will be a start, right?

So, post your views on the topic. :)

If you support the cause, why not write a post about it? 

Replies 1 to 13 of 13 Descending

Hey!

It's a very relevant discussion thread.  Myself and Vee were thinking about starting some chain of posts on this issue.  In fact Vee told me about this thread.

Keeping in view the slowwwwww rate of progress in the works, the dug up city, the wide spread scenario of dengue, swine and also malaria, it is going to be a tough job.  And the mood of the world seems to be changing because of these factors.

Even rains are causing havoc to the already ruined state. There are traffic woes too, as the roads to the stadium have been divided into two parts, one for the janta and the rest half ( painted in blue) for the traffic for the games.  And as it is traffic is a big issue here in Delhi.

With these late sales of games merchandise, I don't think, the average man is going to be able to relate to it much.

In fact, i wrote a post on this topic, A few weeks back "Do We Really Need Common Wealth Games?" http://myworldmyperception.blogspot.com/2010/08/do-we-really-need-common-wealth-games.html

RESTLESS

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

Did you know? The players from England are highly concerned about Dengue fever. I'm sure it should be the case with players from most other countries as well.

And, the US government has issued alert to its citizens not to travel India during the time of CWG. Earlier it did the same when there were terror attacks, unrest due to political issues or natural calamities in India.

hmm sad.

Murali Krishnan
from Chennai
13 years ago

More than the rains and diseases, what gets my grouse is the corruption in CWG. Ok, it is a universal phenomenon. But still it makes me sad to see that opportunistics see this event as an opportunity to fill up their pockets at the expense of the common man's tax money. Nothing came out until some proactive newspapers came out with the reveleations. This CWG does not deserve to succeed. Just my 2 pence!

Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

All i can say is "All the best India"

Cheers!

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

ya.....

Cheers

Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

Laughing

Lets pray for our country.

Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

:)

Himanshu
Himanshu
from Delhi
13 years ago

My personal opinion is kinda weird. I see CWG as an imperialist legacy carried out by people living in hangover. The queen's games have no relevance or connection for majority of people. And above that, if the CWG goes on successfully, people will forget about the Rs. 36,000 Crore scam. Guilty will never be punished.

On the other hand, i would hate to see my nation come to disgrace if this event fails. We have already been barred from bidding for the olympics (and rightly so). Frown

u have a point.

Unknown
Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

And what about the theme song...:)

I had my share of it in my blog http://404phylenotfound.blogspot.com/2010/09/sivamani-rockstar.html

Jus imagining how energetic and rocking would the performance be for the song..

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

i'm less concerned about the song given the extent of corruption the whole CWG had. In the first place it still makes me wonder if we, as a developing country with whole lot of issues to be addressed, should really take the pain in hosting the CWG this year.

Imagine the entire money put in for CWG going into education sector or used for rural empowerment . We are known as a country with agriculture sector as major contribution to country's economy. If that entire money is put in agriculture sector, we can sure avoid all those farmer suicides.

I agree with Vee. This is displaced sense of priority working. Anyways, lets keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

Well, I have already done my bit by writing a post on all possible measures that kalmadi can adobt to recur the money losses ;)

Mind you, the language is little coarse.. practice discretion!!

CongressWealthGames

Shobhit
Shobhit
from Kanpur
13 years ago

Everything apart, I think we should at least look at the sports and sportspersons who will be participating instead of thinking what could have been and what couldn't.

Now that Delhi is actually hosting the games, it would be better if we tried to make it a success rather than hope for it not to succeed. Wouldn't it be a bigger disgrace if the games didn't succeed ? Common sense !

As for me, I'll be there in Delhi to witness the games.

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

i'm nothing against the CWG now, and i don't want the games to fail either. but, i was just contemplating what made the authorities decide so!

I wish the CWG succeeds and brings glory to the country, so that the country can in turn benefit from investing in this!

Glad you'll be able to witness games, Shobhit! :)

Aashish Sood
Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

I myself have written couple of posts on CWG... do got through them and let me know your feedback:

New Games for CommonWealth Games

Commonwealth Games 2010

Aashish Sood
Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

I would be in Delhi, rooting for India and Delhi... perhaps not going to watch any games (not in stadium anyways) but only because I might be stuck in the ensuing Jams... But truely speaking, I too want the commonwealth games to succeed... the blame games can be played later :D

Well, we delhites will have a difficult time with the traffic. yes,  hope there is no more embarassment for the country, and the games do take place peacefully.

but later, some justice should be done.

Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

@Restless: Yah I hope that once the games are done, the culprits and the profeteers are taken to trial and hanged by their knuckles for creating such an embarassment to the entire country!

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

No Indian would want the Games to fail, but we have no say in the matter of how it is being organised and what scams are going on, right? It is an elaborate cover-up games, actually. I have already written a post on the same.Do read and comment. http://cybernag.in/2010/09/the-commonwealth-camouflage

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

i really loved your post on CWG Zephyr. Now, that's my concern too. Without caring much for the divide between rich and poor if we want to project ourselves as a rich or developed nation by becoming a host, we'll be further contributing to that divide.

Mayank Sharma
Mayank Sharma
from New Delhi
13 years ago

What is commonwealth ? Is it for people & by the people? No. The policy has always been to keep away the masses from these games. Then how will we connect to these? Frankly speakin , i am only concerned about the image of Delhi - my city , my home. I wrote a post on tht  ..  http://whatthefckisgoinon.blogspot.com/2010/08/message-to-commonwealth-bashers-leave.html  ..  

I will admit though that Delhi is lookin very bful indeed. All the debris etc is being removed and its lookin cleaner n more b'ful everyday ..especially CP. But these games could have been used to develop city's fringe areas through community participation. that hasnt happened and thats the biggest failure of these games. Games will happen .. athletes will come n perform.. foreigners will click mandatory pics of "poor, hungry " indians .. and the event will b a success. But in reality, success will only come if the scamsters r brought to book.

Aldeena
Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

The corruption that has pervaded CWG is a shame. I would say that hosting the CWG was an unnecessary thing at this point of time. It was ill-timed and we are ill-prepared. The necessary infrastructure is not present. the money that went into these games could have been used for genuine development and for a lot better causes than being drained this way.

The money that went into making Volunteers ID's and uniforms and the CWG Anthem and all is atrocious! It's  shameless misuse of the taxpayer's money. Eventually if the Games fail to gather revenue, it will be the taxpayer's neck that will be wrung for the deficit.

My grouse also emerges from the utter disregard for the citizens, the way rules have been formulated and modus ope***** decided, there has been no concern for the citizens whose lives shall not stop for those two weeks. It's a shame really.. Total BS!

And the construction that i going on is creating such trouble for all Delhiites. I had to literally become an acrobat to get to the CP Metro Station from my house. And yes, diseases are on the rise as well thanks to the CWG. And many of my college mates have been shown the exit door in college hostels coz the college hostels are being used to house Players and their WAGs or whatever!

I have written a couple of posts on CWG as well:

Come Out And Play? Wading in the city! Dressing Up Delhi

All said and done, I do want the Games to work out and for everything to get a happily ever after! And I shall be going for the games too, if I can reach on time that is! Tongue outCheers! Laughing

Aldeena
Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

Hahaha!!! This is hilarous they 'starred' MO! Jeez! Tongue out

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@Vee, thanks for the comment on my post. Don't we all want it to succeed? But when one thinks of all the money gone for silly things when the country can least afford it, one can't bbut get upset.

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

Be +ve.... @Zephyr

LockSign in to reply to this thread