Your Favourite Book

Chandrika Shubham
Chandrika Shubham
from Gurugram
13 years ago

Hi everybody.

Which is ur favorite book? or Which book will u recommend others for reading?

Please share.

1-20
21-40 41-57
Replies 1 to 20 of 57 Descending
Himanshu
Himanshu
from Delhi
13 years ago

1) Geeta -Tilak

2) The da vinci code - Dan Brown

3) A secular Agenda- Arun Shourie

The list goes long and even includes comic books! Tongue out What topic are we looking at!! ?? !!

Chandrika Shubham
from Gurugram
13 years ago

2) I have read this book and a great admirer of Dan Brown.

Option 1) and 2) will sure read.

Ya comic books are all time favorite especially Tinkle. :)

Thanks for sharing such good books with us.  :)

Chandrika Shubham
from Gurugram
13 years ago

Sorry option 1) and 3) will sure read.

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Dan Brown seems like a universal favourite here...incidentally, what kind of comics do you like?? 

Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Controversy made him (dan brown) the big, the hot star!! 

Himanshu
from Delhi
13 years ago

@ Sakhi- I kinda like every comic book! From English classics of Batman, Spiderman to Hindi Super heroes Nagraaj, Super Comaando Dhruva!

And yes, not to forget Calvin and Hobbes!!!

@ Naveen- Controversy played its part but it was also due to crisp plots, fluid narration and a new element of sybology weaven seamlessly into his bookS!

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

I love calvin and hobbes...best pair ever...do you read any asterix or tintin?? How about archies?? 

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

@ sakhi: LaughingI love calvin n Hobbes! I can read it like a hundred times over and still not have enough! Loved Archies when I was in school.. grew out of it though... it has also become less interesting somehow.. Asterix and Tintin I was never attracted to i don't know why... Never read more than 3 or 4...Undecided

Himanshu
from Delhi
13 years ago

@ Sakhi- Yes!!! Archies, Tintin, Astrix.. I can read them at any given time!!! Laughing

U look like a big comic buff urself!!!

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

@Aldeena: I recently started re-reading asterix because my school library acquired a whole collection (before this I was reading Asterix at the age of around 12 I think) and I saw a lot of stuff that was very interesting that I'd missed before. Subtle details. :) But I agree, I also do not find Archies as interesting anymore. 

@Himanshu: Haha, our tastes seem to match. But I wouldn't call myself a comic-book buff...I just tend to read anything I can get my hands on. :) 

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Delhi
13 years ago

The Argumentative Indian : Amartaya Sen (Highly Recommended)

Chandrika Shubham
from Gurugram
13 years ago

Thanks for recommendation. :)

Manisha
from Mumbai
13 years ago

yeah Abhishek,I liked it too and also "Identity and Violence'

Naveen
Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Not the biggest of readers, loved Dan Brown books, esp Angels & Demons. Reading The Lost Symbols now.

Loved the books of Chetan Bhagat, he has made writing/narrating a simple thing! Would recommend his books to all who haven't read him :)

Been a big fan of Sidney Sheldon's books, novel for long time, fav - If tomorrow Comes. 

Osho has some nice spiritual ones & The Tao of Physics is a gr8 book for those who love sciences ( esp Physics) and have an interest in Indian and more commonly Asian mystical beliefs!

Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Rai is a great one!! Haven't finished it though, explains things to tiniest of details!

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Navin - I like Sheldon a lot too. :) His characters are very interesting and his plots are quite ingenious. 

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

Yeah, I loved Angels & Demons too...

And The Lost Symbol!!! No comparisons! The best book ever written! (Angels & Demons is the 2nd best book ever written) ;)

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

@Naveen - I started reading The God of Small Things too (it was quite a while ago)... Never finished it... Was kinda boring.

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

@Anik: Wow. Strange choice. So many people would go with that in the opposite order, ie Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and then Lost Symbol. :) 

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

@Sakhi - Don't know... Most people I have asked say that Angels & Demons is the best. Da Vinci Code is a very good book as well, but not his best... 

Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Da Vinci Code is defenitely a good book, but not as good as compared to these two, Da Vinci got all its hype from a controversy! And many people have read just that, and just because of the controversy that surrounds it!

Anik, yeah, The God of Small things is kinda boring at times, i mean the story is kinda boring, honestly,  but her description of things are awesome, may be i love it, because it describes something like my hometown!

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Anik: I have heard that the story of Lost Symbol is not so good...too clunky overall...not well edited. And personally I found Angels and Demons too fantastic and nutty. I preferred Da Vinci Code. 

Naveen: I agree. I also read the book thanks to the controversy around it. It definitely contributed to its success. 

Chandrika Shubham
from Gurugram
13 years ago

It seems Dan Brown and Chetan Bhagat are everyone's favourite. :)

Sakhi Shah
Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Seriously hard to name one, but probably the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin: http://inmybookshelves.blogspot.com/2010/05/song-of-ice-and-fire-george-rr-martin.html

Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Your blog looks nice, will be reading a couple of reviews soon! Keep up the good work!

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Thanks a lot Naveen...I would recommend starting with some books that I've reviewed that you've read (like Bhagat) to get a hang of what kind of books I like and how much you agree with me... :) 

Chandrika Shubham
from Gurugram
13 years ago

Thanks for sharing about good books. :) I will read them as soon as I will get the time. :)

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Kamasutra! Tongue out Wink

Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

I'vent read the book, only videos Wink

Manav Dhiman
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Hahaha! Where can I get that?! Tongue out

Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

U mean the video? ;)

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@manav you are under aged for such books! Grow up first! Tongue out

Abhishek
from Delhi
13 years ago

lame

Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

Abhi, be GAME, not LAME Laughing

Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

@Addy: You seem to be so addicted to books that you try seeking everything in them. It's high time you get practical.. Laughing

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

expected this to be ur ans! Tongue out

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

@Addy

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@Abhishek I am LAME! So isn't it obvious............

@Gouri LOL! Wink

@Aldeena hehehehehehe

facts" written by Chanakya for enlightenment, under his gotra name. caused a furor at kashi.

I really like your braveness to post it. It's an irony that most men think of sex at their best.and have kept it out of heaven. 

Loganathan
Loganathan
from Chennai
13 years ago

I have not read many books.. I love philosophy.. so my choices are as below

1. By the river piedra, I sat down and wept

2. The Alchemist

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Have you read Coelho's "As the river flows"? 

Its quite an inspirational book. 

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

yea.. As the River Flows was excellent.. However Coelho too is losing his touch in the attempt to sell to the masses sadly.. His books have lost that soul they contained.. I always loved Coelho's works..it's really sad..

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Mm...which book are you referring to Aldeena? I haven't read too much Coelho, only The Alchemist and this book... 

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

@ Sakhi: I did not think "the winner stands alone" was as good as his previous works.. till date my fav Coelho book has been 'Veronika Decides To Die'... It is such a fascinating composition about the thin line between reality and madness and constructed reality..awesome read!

Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

Read God Father by Mario Puzo first! everything next. :P 

Dan brown stuff everything is worth a read.

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

I love the Godfather. :) 

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

I haven't read Godfather yet... But read 'Omerta'. Was very good! 

Vee
Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

Have you guys read Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner!

To me, that's the best book I've read so far.

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

True.. brought tears to my eyes..even the movie was quite good... If you haven't read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' then you should! Its deeper somehow.. or maybe it's ust me, the book hit me deeper perhaps...

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

*just

BasioMeusPuga
BasioMeusPuga
from New Delhi
13 years ago

Like the flowing river, by Paulo CoelhoCoelho is full of ceaseless wonder, things that hit close to the soul and profound bullshit. Second only to...

Ignited Minds - A life spent aiming missiles at ex girlfriends, by Dr. Abdul Kalam.

What I can't understand however, is how people can read Russian literature (or books of a similar nature). All they do is talk. And ride around in sledges. No wonder the USSR broke up.

Ananya
Ananya
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

1) The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

2) A thousand splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini

3) Harry Potter sesries - J. K. Rowling

4) The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

5) The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Aha, someone finally mentioned Harry Potter. 

+1 :) 

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Delhi
13 years ago

Chetan bhagat does writes in a manner that entices a person and dan brown weaves a plot that leave a person bambazooled but does anyone knows here about the new age thinkers. The great robindranath tagore? Amartya sen? schopenhauer? kafka? neitzsche? Bankim chandra chaterjee?

Chetan bhagat tells that his writing can change the world but has he written any thing without baiting his reader into the maze of humour that includes stoops to the lowest degree? Has he ever written something that you don't know? Something that springs you into action? I am not motivated to criticize him.

I am here to assert that we need a person who pin points our society's flaws and saves it from further dilapidation. Someone like Rousseau and volataire who automated people into revolution. We Indians have been part of great civilization of whose limits we don't know have even an idea about. We need to preserve it. We need to write about it.

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Abhishek: Not everyone writes to change the world, in the same way that not everyone reads for the same purpose. Entertainment too has a role to play in our strange world, and I think that if Chetan Bhagat, or Dan Brown (or Stephenie Meyer, for that matter) can do it then its alright to like it. I don't think a 'favourite book' is something that depends so much on 'why' a particular person reads...

I know you were just expressing your opinion, and I'm just expressing mine too. No offence meant. 

Incidentally, have you read any Aravind Adiga? 

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

@Abhishek - I would like to disagree with you. We can't have people pointing out societies flaws. It will vary from person to person. What might appear a flaw to one person, might be someone else's asset. 

@Sakhi - I have read The White Tiger. A completely pointless book. And that protagonist - Balram Halwai - is so not likable... It is the worst book I have ever read.

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

@Anik: I don't quite agree. I found White Tiger depressing but rather relevant, actually. But I've heard a lot of dissenting opinions on this one...according to me difference of opinions between people means that the book is worth reading. :) If everyone likes it/hates it - its sure to be flat and boring. 

So, lets agree to disagree. 

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Delhi
13 years ago

My intention here is not to manipulate my thoughts on anyone. But to put my opinion. Honest opinion.

Nandan Narula
Nandan Narula
from Indore, Bhopal
13 years ago

1. The Ramayana

2. Freakonomics

3. Stay Hungry Stay Foolish

4. Sherlock Holmes Series

5. The Alchemist

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

SHSF is really good... How did I forget to mention it?

People, add Stay Hungry Stay Foolish to my list too.

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Freakonomics is nice too...a very different book about Economics. 

Incidentally, have you read the, "Undercover Economist," by Tim Harford? 

Aashish Sood
Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

@Sakhi: I was sure that I would find you around on this thread!

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Lol, yes. :) 

But you forgot to list your favourite books... 

Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

will do it now... so many to choose from... have to cut back to a limited number:

My favs, in no particular order;

1) 2 states

2) The goal

3) LOTR series

4) HP series

5) The firm

6) False Impressions

7) All around the town

8) Septimus heap series

9) PG Wodehouse books

10) Dilbert!!!!!!!!!

Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

ashish.... u missed ur friend prashant...*bad*Frown

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

PG Wodehouse is officially the king of humor. I've seriously never read a book that made me laugh in the way his have. :) 

Incidentally, who is 'The Firm' by? Seems interesting. 

Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

@Mag: And you the reason why... it is a thread for books that I loved and/or would recommen other to read... that book falls in neither

@Sakhi: Yah I love PGW as well... 'The Firm' is a book by John Grisham; the first that I read from the author and it had me totally hooked!

Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

but that was an awesome novel.... and i recommend to all who love to b crazy in life

Aldeena
Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

'A Thousand Splendid Suns', 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull', 'Veronica Decides to Die', The Psmith series by Wodehouse, 'Atlas Shrugged', 'Letters to Sam' would be among the books that left the most lasting impression on me... But favourites toh are so many! Nice thread though.. Laughing

All time favs however would be Calvin n Hobbes and Peanuts! These I can never have enough of! Smile

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

oops..typo- *'Veronika Decides to Die'

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Only thing that I have heard of from the above list is Calvin n Hobbes and Peanuts! My favorite too! Laughing

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

@Addy: haha! yea.. Calvin n Hobbes n Peanuts are like evergreen classics as far as I am concerned! It's like Star Wars for Ted1 A rainy day and I'm stuck in my room i curl up with my calvin and Hobbes, crowded metro, nothing to do, I am lost in calvin and Hobbes, boring class atennded for attendance, I sit in the backseat with my Calvin and Hobbes.. you get the picture! ;) Tongue outWink

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

My favorite books are...

Not a penny more not a penny less by Jeffrey Archer

Da vinci code, angels and demons, Lost symbol by Dan brown

5 point someone by Chetan Bhagat

Jonathon livingston seagull and many many more...

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

I love Archer too. :) And Not a penny more, not a penny less was one of his nicest books, though my personal Archer favourite has to be the Prodigal Daughter. Have you read that one? 

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

No Sakhi... I havent read that one!!

But one more book came to my mind..

The great train robbery by michael crichton...it is a fantastic book!!!

Also read short stories by Premchand...they are greatSmile

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

I like premchand a lot...haven't read much by him, only the stuff we did in school, but he was definitely miles ahead of most of the others we did. :) 

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

Same with me... Only read the stuff in school books. Didn't like them that much.

Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

I liked 'As the crow flies' a lot, and 'da vinci' and 'angels and demons' from Dan Brown... 'Lost Symbol' was such a put downer!

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

@Aashish: Surprised

Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

yes @Ankit... you may not believe me but I do think that 'Lost Symbol' was not upto the level set by 'Da-vinci' and 'Angels...'

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

I love Jonathan Livingston seagull!!! It's like one of the awesomest books ever!!! :) Smile

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Sorry to be a devils advocate here... does this have any connection to blogging?

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Well, it is in General and Off Topic... so its...well...off topic? 

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

@Mohan : -1 Tongue out

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Blogs we read and Books we read

We read (Blogs and Books)

we read the connection! Laughing

Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

well to some bloggers it is indeed related to blogging as they solely blog on books like @Sakhi... I also do some book reviews on and off!

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

@Aashish: Haha, I've been taking tips about the kind of books people read and therefore might like to see reviews of. :) 

books enhance our imagination supplement and enrich our blogs.  

Gouri
Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

I am not much into reading books. Luckily, whatever I got to read in college were interesting enough:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

The Financial Expert by RK Narayan

Also I love these hindi novels I read in my childhood:

Lash Kahan Chupaun by Ved Prakash Sharma

Kanoon Mere Peeche by Ved Prakash Sharma (sequel of the above)

Sherry
from USA
13 years ago

What did you like about Pride and Prejudice in particular?...just wondering

Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

Young girls running after the military guys.. Laughing

Aldeena
from New Delhi
13 years ago

@ Gouri: Hehehehe!

@ Sherry: Will Darcy! Tongue out

sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

I read many books during college, still read some. Liked most of them but to name a few or what i remember now....

> kite runner- khaled Hosseini

> Love Story - Erich Segal

> P.S. I Love you - Cecelia Ahern's 

> Five point someone - Chetan bhagat

> grahdah - Sharathchand

> Nirmala - Munshi lal Premchand

> Godan - Munshi lal Premchand

and many I don't remember now....

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

it is like u climbed a mountain.... Tongue out

I am not really a book person.  Don't really enjoy reading other people's stories, I like mine better!

But recently, I read Veronica Decides to Die, The Alchemist and Eat Pray Love ( by Elizabeth Girlbert) and loved all these books, especially the last one.

RESTLESS

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

+1 for first para... @RESTLESS

1-20
21-40 41-57
LockSign in to reply to this thread