Are you addicted to Internet?

Vee
Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

Indibloggers -

I've written this blog post on how much we happen to depend on Internet for every little thing? That kind of made me curious how much time is actually worth spending and how much do each of us end up spending online?

How dependent are you on the Internet? After a certain threshold, they call it addiction and it's treated as a disorder. How much time do you spend on the net?

And the other thing reason for me posting this question on Indiblogger is the huge participation of regular members on the Indiforum. No offense meant, but I'm just curious about the motivation behind. Smile

~Vee

Replies 1 to 18 of 18 Descending
Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

No.. internet is addicted to me :D

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

lol.. That's a smart answer mohan :P

But seriously, I find myself sitting infront of my laptop all day with my Internet connection on! That's the reason I ask this.

Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

hehehe... almost everyone is addicted...

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

ya... like u

Nikita Goel
from Houston
13 years ago

I am badly addicted of internet and blogging...

Sitesh Shrivastava
Sitesh Shrivastava
from Ranchi
13 years ago

Hell Yeah !

If there is no internet in my place... Well, (I can't even imagine about it :D ) Everything gonna stop in my life...

I'm so dependent on this thing that I think my life's 70% must be consumed by this thing... And I love it :)

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

So what would you have done had the Internet penetration been still bad at your place even now? What would you have done with all your 70% free time ?

To me it's the same case. I'm just asking the questions out loud.

Raghu V N
Raghu V N
from Thrissur
13 years ago

Internet is an easy way of wasting time. Me too used to sit infront of my laptop all day with my internet connection even if there is none to chat or message.. It just helps me to make others believe that I'm busy with something!!

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

hehe.. Good one Raghu. But, I usually don't do much of the chatting. Most of the time is occupied some how or the other even if I'm online.

Naveen
Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Same here, or do i even need to say that? After being in indiblogger for almost 8 hours? Wink

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

You mean 8 hours per day on Indiblogger?

Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Not everyday! not continuously too, but quite often!

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

What makes you stay on Indiblogger for long periods? Is it the interaction with fellow indibloggers?

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Is that even a question to ask on a forum that is from to for and by the Bloggers....BLOGGERS.....BLOGGERS!!!

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

why not? when you don't consider blogging as part of being addicted to Internet? Which is why I used two different words - addiction and difference. and there is a threshold that defines the difference between them!

Rohini
Rohini
from Bangalore
13 years ago

You bet!

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

i was trying to bring up the difference between being dependent on Internet and being addicted to it. I bet most of us are dependent, but not addicted.  Do you still think you are?

Gouri
Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

And I have created this last page of the internet 

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

lmao. nice page Gouri!

Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

All those addicted to internet can visit this page and then finally go to sleep.. Laughing

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

more than the last page, i liked the oblivion one. isn't that what you call it? :D

Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

Only the daring ones can make it to the oblivion page.. Laughing

Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

absolutely! totally !Wink

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

so how do you divide your time on the internet?

for me it varies significantly between weekdays and weekends :D

Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

@Vee I agree with you. There is a significant difference between weekdays and weekends not in the time I spend on internet but just the place. Office versus home Wink 

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Now that i am ADDYcted, how do i get over with it?

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

do mediation...

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

ADDYcted!!! no, there is no way to undo it, Mohan!

Apoorva
Apoorva
from Delhi
13 years ago

Our addiction is the key to success for Indiblogger afterall...No calms about that...Yes, i am addicted ;)

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

great Apoorva

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

wow, well said. well said!!!

wow! great topic Vee!

and equally good discussion going on here!

I am gladly addicted to blogging and internet..... I am glad because I know with each passing day I am improving my writing skills, reading interesting and informative posts of co bloggers.  Moreover, I am learning small techy things, which otherwise I would not have known.

Additionally, I am meeting interesting ppl here, and I am enjoying this world.  Of course, I cannot forget mentioning about IndiBlogger here.  It has given us a pedestal, a place to call our own.There is quite a free atmosphere here to speak your mind, and I like this feature.

As bloggers we are like islands and Indiblogger is like a bridge between all of us!

Lastly, getting addicted to blogging and other creative and informative net surfing is better than being addicted to lonliness and sadness.

Cheers!

RESTLESSSmile

Unknown
Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

The question is "internet" not blogging..why is everyone writing about blogging..the forum is indiblogger.in.. so obviously blogging..

coming to internet...i think it is too late to ask this question...may be a 10 yrs or more ago this would have been an apt question cos that is when internet was just penetrating and we had many other choices...

now do we have a choice???

mails are now considered as formal...

to book tickets..will we go to a counter now? or book online? tickets i means..flights/trains/movies also etc

Google has made internet more addictive[if u call it addiction]

I check google map for routes and any new place..so do most of us..

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

Unknown, I totally agree with you!

But it's not that we don't have a choice. We do have and we always go for the smartest choice, and that's Internet now in most cases.

Unknown,

Using internet as a utility tool and getting hooked on to it are two different things, and here, I think, this is what being discussed.

RESTLESS

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

ok for me being hooked...means using internet as an utility ..as much as possible...

for ex:- now before cooking..i check an online recipe or a video

if that is not wat u mean by hooked..lemme know what it is

Natarajamani
Natarajamani
from Chennai
13 years ago

I am pretty much in love with internet!

Someitmes I am happy with it, sometimes I just dont like and fight with it!

But its gonna be with me for life!

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

i thought people only love gals n women bt dude u love internet!!!

thats out of this world!!!

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

@Deepak - lol, nice comment Tongue out

Vee
Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

OK. looks like the general conclusion is "I love Internet" :D

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

love or hate ...you dont have a choice...

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

even if we have choices, we don't go for them. although this is not applicable in all cases. Say for example, even if I can find something in a book which is sitting next to me I would start looking up in the Internet.

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

@Vee u r right..

if we have to book train tickets..do we stand in the queue there or hit on irctc..now checkin out irctc is wat i mean by saying no choice..cos even though I like internet or not.. I still do that...even my computer illiterate granny asks me to do something in computer..so thats how it is..

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

yeah Unknown, Internet is the smart choice I was talking about!

I am a passionate surfer,  but can not call myself addicted because i can and go into oblivion withot computers for months at a stretch.

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

for months without computers!! that's something special definitely!

when my two sons return from college holidays, do u think they would let me hve a minute on computer.

@ vee, my close friend deepak sharma too is in minneapolis at seagate.

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

Wow! So I'm not the only one in Minneapolis! Good to know there are others here too!

he is from delhi, my batch mate.,child hood frnd, if you want i'll mail u his no.,

Vee
Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

no one liking/madly in love with Internet today?

Vee
Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

with the loss of emails from gmail server, which effected about 0.02% (that's their claim) of their users, i want to put forward this question again. how dependent are you on the internet? 

how would you react if one day you find out that data and backups of all your emails are lost due to some coding bug over the weekend?and another question, are you one of those people who got effected? is your data restored? 

LockSign in to reply to this thread