Are blogs just for show off?

kinnos
kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

Why do we blog? Do we blog to express or  to impress others? Recently I met a blogger friend from kolkata who in his blog writes great inspirational posts about women but the way he talked about his girl friend and the language he used for other women was totally not in sync with his blog personality.So do we ourselves believe in what we write in our blog or we just blog  to impress others.While posting something people think  like If I'll write about this then people will think I'm open minded person,if i'll write about that then people will think I'm an intellectual.Please give your opinions

1-20
21-24
Replies 1 to 20 of 24 Descending
pundit
pundit
from Oslo
13 years ago

I can admit that my journal is mostly for showing off.

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Intersting... I never looked from that angle. However, it gives me an immense pride in saying that I have been blogging and knowing new people through blogosphere.

the ego, resident in each of us , paves the way for our actions.

the element of "show' is the food of ego.

but some bloggers write what their conscience and mind say, and adore it with presentable pics, so that its appeasable.

some say it lavishly,with ammendments to avoid any embarrassing thing. or make it embarassing to gain attraction.

I think there is nothing wrong in any action, after all its his blog.

as per maturity one changes .

Kevin
Kevin
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I suppose blogs are made by human beings. And like in actual life where some people have their strengths and weaknesses same also applies to the blogging world.

If a person is writing posts that help people by reading them then maybe it does not matter how he is in real life unless he is preaching about himself in the blog which then makes him a farce.

Pallav Gogoi
Pallav Gogoi
from Noida
13 years ago

I started my blog to share my madness with the world. Gradually, I got some identical souls – appreciating and loving my articles. I thought of writing some more posts. Suddenly I found enormous traffic reading and commenting. I got some confidence – I began to flaunt my feelings with ease, I smiled every morn when I saw so many different interpretations coming from all parts of the world. My blog gave me wings, I took this benevolent flight to explore and express. There’s nothing that I can show off. I only have some words. I am not a personal blogger but I love to put myself in every write-up I scribble. I blog for freedom, I blog for joy, I blog for keeping the beauty of words alive…

well said pallav,

Vijay Shah
Vijay Shah
from Houston TX USA
13 years ago

I believe blogging is two edged sword

If you do right way it increases friends and your skill of writing.. and you have readers all word over. If you are good in expressing your idea you will get help from all over world. But if it is only show off or one sided communications you will loose steam very soon.

Personal blogging does not pay so it stays at bottom of earning but creativity point of view yes...it is a practice ground...where good thoughts are always appreciated.

I am blogging from 2006 and I have found it as a cupboard where I can find my liked things preserved well. My thoughts about "blog" as a gift is in gujarati 

http://vijayshah.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/blog-ekaviasmai-sadi-nu-varda/

Mayank Sharma
Mayank Sharma
from New Delhi
13 years ago

My blog isnt for showin off. Its what I feel from inside. The general frustrations against stupidity. Some bloggers do have a "blog personality" but they are non-serious types. 2-3 months and bored!

A serious blogger will always be in sync with what he writes......

[ My blog - http://whatthefckisgoinon.blogspot.com/]

When online, a person is less inhibited....and less insecure...he or she can be what he or she wants to be. Because online you're taken more seriously, or not taken seriously at all....and after a while once you're following up and you have followers...it becomes like a family...the smallest of incidences if written about on a blog will have people who will read and reply....so you're assured of the fact that there is someone out there who WILL read it.

It also acts like an outlet for people who can't express themselves....things that they wouldn't be very open about in reality.

It's a lot like how your profile on social networking sites can give a different image...or how one could be really popular online...or 'internet famo' . 

Also about that friend in particular.....in between guys, well lets face it, we talk about girls in ways which aren't very...let's say they're not to be looked up at. So his views on his blog could be personal...and with friends he's just being casual.

But no...I don't think people would actually write to show off per se... 

So 

Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

It differs from blogger to blogger what they are and what they intend to project on their blog. I do not agree with the statement that blogs are just for show offs. I personally know many bloggers who maintain private blogs too where it is the case that there are a very limited people who read it. 

And I am wondering what is in a blog to show off? Would be glad if you people let me know Tongue out

right sanjay, its not a dazzling diamond ring to show off, it's something from inside, that needs admiration, that wants to come out in the open.

blog platform gives all the needed things required to bring out your hidden qualities and passions and decorate them. too.  

its a boon

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

I just want to explain what I meant by show off.By showoff I just meant you post things to get attention of others but you don't believe in your content.Sorry I'm bad at expressing myself.

Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

@Pramod Laughing

@Kinnos I understand it Kinnos! It isn't a good thing that you write something and display an entirely different attitude. I agree!

Naveen
Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Blogs & show off? I don't ever thought my blog as a place to show off! You become humble when it comes to your blog or it dies!

Unknown
Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

Now Kinnos..blogging is just a channel..those kind of people u referring to..also called hypocrites..exist among us....now for such people blogging is just another avenue ..I've seen people who talk about secularism..one god blah blah..for words sake..but behave differently..some people project different image with girls..and in reality act something else...

I've observed one thing from all those people who have posted above..everyone is taking it personally and trying to defend themselves ..well it is a discussion..apart from being urself.. try connecting with the initiator thats when any discussion will be fruitful..

In concurrence to above all mentioned.. for the pros of being real..i wld like to a give a different perspective to it...

Our attitude is not some property of our dna..that once and for ever u will be like that...We human beings change our attitudes as time goes on..so people who are in the transition stage..might seem to be wrong or faking to u.. Also there may be some one who wants to be something else and is trying..for example..am just thinkin some imaginary scenario..a person who has never travelled in his life....has visited some place for some purpose..and then writes a travel blog of his experience..now ppl who read might really think he is one travel freak..now this guy might get inspired by the followers and actually create this new hobby of travelling...now if u know him personally u cant accuse that person to be showing off....so you should discount such cases.

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

Yes I also felt that,some bloggers took this topic personally.May be also I failed to present my question clearly.As I have already said in one of my reply that I'm not good at expressing myself. I'm feeling sorry for hurting their sentiments.I really didn't want to hurt any body's sentiments.My only intention was to share  a personal blogging experience with others.But I'm also happy to see that lots of bloggers are serious and honest towards blogging. I agree with you, all bloggers go through a transition.I myself has gone through lots of changes in past one years and not only me I guess few bloggers who started with me has also gone through lot of changes.I know change is the only permanent thing.But that kind of transition doesn't catch your eyes also as you are constantly in touch with that person so you understand those changes.But somebody describe an incident and give one verdict towards that incident in his blog and totally another verdict in real life is little disturbing. What I have learned is  many people prefer to be politically right rather than practically right .As a blog stays under public scrutiny so sometimes you have to say things to please the reader as you don't want to hurt them and face their fury..As one of  my blogger friend said to me yesterday "This is kalyug don't expect anybody to be Mr. Harishchandra or Mr. lord Ram;at least in cyber world" So I guess I need to take a chill pill. Bro thank for understanding me  :)

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

hey Kinnos.. cool buddy...I have done enough group discussions in my life Tongue out..

you are very right..I can give another simple example for that different kind of behaviourby people..

lets say u start a discussion on "looks vs inner beauty".. I am sure there will be many who would post like some saints saying.."no no its all inner beauty which matters to them" ..but in reality everyones acts very differently..those people think since no one can read their minds..they can fool anyone...

and you are right..no one is mr.perfect or ms.perfect[lets not show gender discrimination here :P]...in the real/virtual world

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

There is no need to say.It shows that you  been through lots of group discussionsTongue out.Yeh you have given a perfect example.I remember when Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin was on air lots of people were going gaga over  inner beauty in their blogs lol.I just remembered I have also written a post about beauty vs talent but that was not about Jassi that was about Susan Boyle.Kahin tum mera hi tuition toh nahi le rahe ho?Yelljust kidding. but I believe whatever I've written their.

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

No dude..I dint go through ur blog..I just created a scenario..

A blog without a reader is just dead, and readers their life...

we r all here to be read

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

But the point is will you like your reader to read what you write ? or  will you write what your readers  like to read?  even if you yourself don't believe in that.Should a blogger  bring traffic to his/her blog at cost of lying to himself? Then blogges will become like those news channels who want to show stuff that the people want to see rather than showing what a news channel should show.I feel following the demand and supply rule in blogging will curb the freedom of bloggers which is against basic ethics of blogging. yes I agree with you that traffic is important but I cannot afford it at cost of being a sycophant and I mean it.In last one year I  have posted only 27 or 28 odd post in my blog where as some people post 500 to 100 posts in one year(not saying all them are fake) and also traffic to my blog is also not great but I have no complaints on amateur performance of my blog as I know I have not compromised.I just post my thoughts If people like it then it's all right if not then it's their choice and I accept both.

its a genuine debating topic,

well , there r ways,

1) you write, sincerely, and passionately,and look for like minded readers, and decorate blog with interesting gadgets so he feels at home. and enjoys his stay, and wants to come back again.

2)you write and omit some hurting truths for betterment of society, as when blog u have visitors from all over the world ., so extreme caution is necessary in rambling fundamentalist views.

one truth told with bad intent is worse than all the lies in the world.

extreme caution is necessary . 

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

From the beginning I'm clear that by showoff  I never meant anything against looks/appearance of a blog.If a web designer will make a blog then that blog will be bound to stand out from other blogs (in terms of look)  and if that will make me feel bad then you should call me egoistic and jealous.You can also slap me If I complain.I used the word show off relating to only content of a blog .

A blog shouldn't hurt anyone but also it shouldn't try to appease everybody or to project a fake personality for the bloger.

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

Cant agree more with you Pramod!

omit truths..is never wrong..but..telling lies..projecting wrong image..is cheating..everyone including self :)...

but again.. as I discussed before ..if a person is in a transition phase or looking to change his attitude .might have been inspired by his blog...is still ok I believe...

Nikita Goel
Nikita Goel
from Houston
13 years ago

its a very nice thing to be questioned and raised...

as far as i have knwon my blogging friends , they are what they speak on blog..the same kind.

It could happen as you mentioned the way he talked about his girlfriend..people try to be what they actually are not...its moving away from reality..reality of their inner soul...

the point mentioned about profeesional blogs and personal blogs is also quite relevant.

@ nikita, very well said,

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

@Nikita.. frankly i dint get any point from ur msg..

well I believe most of the blogging friends are speaking truly...yet I cannot vouch on it..cos I'vent done some narco-analysis to know what they think...

well from Suraj's post.. the prof & pers. blogging.is not contextually a right explanation for what Kinnos is looking for

Nikita Goel
from Houston
13 years ago

@ Unknown - Firstly , we always are together for debating..lolz...

Secondly .. what i meant is being someone else on your blog and speaking things which you do not believe in...is moving away from reality...it would be as good as preaching things you disagree with.Personally , I had never met such bloggers.Their blogs are perfect resemblance of their souls...those i have been knowing.Smile

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

ok @Nik.. that was gyaan :P ..I was wondering..how is it some explanation..

ok now I completely agree with u :)

debating..I wont say..but I always like to give a diff perspective to things :)

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

I really didn't create this topic for my blogger friends to come and prove their honesty in front of me.Who am I? I'm not any supreme authority in bogging.In fact when it comes to blogging I'm Mr nobody, I don't even exist.I just wanted few answers to my questions like

1)Should a blogger ask his/her readers to travel a path which he/she will hate to travel?

2) is it right for blogger to project a fake  personality through his/her blog.

3)Say things which he/she doesn't believe.

Nikita Goel
from Houston
13 years ago

Kinnos - We all disagree with dual personality of the fellow blogger and his reality..it has to be one..

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

Kinnos..ok well put out questions...

ok..now if a person is doing it.. how long do u think he wld do that ? how long do u think he will be able to fool others.....now..considering the same person..who talks GODly stuff about women whereas he is a devil incarnation..some or other day his true identity will be exposed.. now if the process of faking continues longer..[i believe it is not an easy job..only people with serious multiple personality disorder can do that].. may be it might actually change his actual behavior (there is something called pygmalion effect..in which people start to behave by internalising what others expect from him)..

Wiki -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmalion_effect

hope that was useful :)

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

@unknown True, truth comes out sooner or later.But you see today lots of serious relationships are made through Internet social  networking (blogging included) and in those kind of relationship ones Internet identity or Internet personality  plays a important role.In that kind of scenario lies said or pretentious behavior of someone even for a small period of time can have serious repercussion.I guess if we will drag  our topic towards that then i will go off topic.

Lying can make someone psychologically ill Surprised hopefully  all liars reading this lol.

your replies your helpful for sure.Smile

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

I meant  your replies were helpful, for sure.Embarassed

Amit Purohit
Amit Purohit
from Ahmedabad
13 years ago

A blog (spl personal blog) is self expression of yourselves.

Regards

Amit Purohit

My Infatuation Love Demystified

www.shayar4u4ever.blogspot.com

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

that was an enlightening msg dude..:)

Nikita Goel
from Houston
13 years ago

@ Amit - And your blog speaks of you as  a passionate lover lost somehwhere..

Amit Purohit
Amit Purohit
from Ahmedabad
13 years ago

@ Nikita..

Thanks, Very few understand the power of love onto this orb.

I m too in the process.

Regards,

Regards

Amit Purohit

My Infatuation Love Demystified

www.shayar4u4ever.blogspot.com

I don't understand what is there to show off? do ppl feel good, seeing our achievements?

R Saraswathan
R Saraswathan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Kinnos, You have posed a very interesting question. Does a blogger really reflect his true self through his writings or could there be a dichotomy? Well when you read a good book you appreciate the writing and you seldom worry about the fact whether the author himself / herself abide by his writing. The personality behind a pen is not that important unless there is an attempt by the writer to solicit some kinda relationships through his writings with the readers. The best of the Authors have had their vices and a very different personal life. So it would be better, in my opinion, not to bother about the person writing the post and just concentrate on the content he produces.

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

Yes sir, thats an interesting take on it..by comparing it with an author of book...and yes u r right..that we seldom worry abotu the author becos..he/she might be somewhere in otherside of the world..

but when it comes to blog..it could be a person sitting next to u..and it is not easy to digest by some other person who knows very well about this one...and I believe the same logic applies to an author also..

blogs have made the world really smaller..we can talk with an author now..even earlier ppl used to have emotional bond with authors..and madly follow their books..now with web2.0 the emotional bond gets stronger..

ur last point is right...one should geniunely appreciate the content..but to those immature ones before u think ur emotionally connected with some one purely cos of whatever he/she writes ..better beware that "seeing is not always believing"

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

@R saraswathan  Most of things I want to say are already said by unknown.When you read a book you seldom get chance to build personal relationship with the author,  let alone knowing how the author behaves in his/her personal life..But in blogging you develop a personal bonding with readers/blogger.I know few blogs which started as blog but later turned into small communities due to cordial interaction between it's visitors.In that kind of scenario it doesn't feel nice to  discover that people are just pretentious.

Nandhini Chandrasekaran
from Chennai
13 years ago

Wonderful thought Sir!

Vijayant Patel
Vijayant Patel
from Jabalpur
13 years ago

Blogging may be a show off for some , but I think most people write what they feel from inside.

I write, what I see around me.

This is the case with everybody.  All people write what they feel about this world. If they think this world is just a show off then they will write things to show off themselves. Writing displays the characteristics of a person.  

At least I think like this.Wink

http://vijayantsp.blogspot.com/

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

Vijayant here the show off doesnt mean blowing your trumphet..thats a different kind of show off..and those people are called "egotists".. here the topic is about the people who fake opinions..and use blog to show off as if they are different..if u read some of the previous posts in the prev page..u will get wat ppl are talkin about

1-20
21-24
LockSign in to reply to this thread