Are our worst fears about the CWG coming true?

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

With the arrival of the first delegations at the Games Village, the scam has broken. Everyone is busy passing the buck even while the CGF President Mike Fennell has blasted the OC for the shoddy and unhygenic conditions at the Village. Already four countries have complained of the appalling facilities and filth. A foot overbridge has collpased in the JLN stadium injuring dozens of labourers.

The PMO has finally stepped in to rectify matters in the eleventh hour. Can the PM do damage control and salvage at least a little of the country's pride that is still left? It is with a sense of panic and shame that one is asking this question.

Replies 1 to 20 of 20 Descending
Raghav Aggarwal
Raghav Aggarwal
from Jammu
13 years ago

Well its not going down well with the other countries, and rectification is surely impossible, now all that can be done is just window dressing. India's image has surely gone down begging.

Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

This should not have happened Frown

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Oh yes. This could have been prevented had the powers that be had woken up to the inefficiency of the OC and Suresh Kalmadi, and taken remedial steps.

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

There are these guys saying that these 'minor' problems would be forgotten once the games start! How can one step on any construction without fear of it collapsing under one?

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

this is exactly the fear I was having since beginning, but I never uttered a word about this possibility with anyone at all fearing that the Gods may say "so be it".  Frown

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@Vee, One feels so helpless about the whole thing. Gods will not say 'so be it' to any negative thing. But yes, those that are looking to fish in troubled waters might surely step in to create more damage.

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

You have used the right words -- window dressing! But the problem is that the athletes would be living inside the buildings not looking from outside!

its a dilemma.

Raghav Aggarwal
from Jammu
13 years ago

ya pramod bhai : its actually a dilemma, whether to hold games in India or some other country...

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I agree with Aasish about it being a dilemma for the world bodies whether to trust this country's ability to host anything at all.

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I prefer Lalit Modi over Suresh Kalmadi any day.He had balls to deliver something "good" & not embarrassing like kalmadi

Raghav Aggarwal
from Jammu
13 years ago

I second you Mohan sir...atleast he could get the acts together and put up a good show, but India's plight, people are not just let to do things...

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

I agree.How much money  Lalit Modi made for himself through IPL is another question but that man had enough intelligence and guts to conduct a smooth IPL at a foreign land even with a short period of prior notice, on the other hand our good for nothing politicians  and bureaucrats can't conduct a smooth CWG even being provided with 7 years of time and countless amount of money. The only thing they have bought with that money is shame and humiliation for the country.

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

That's the difference between private and government enterprise. In the latter there is only the proverbial gravy boat for the organisers to loot while not having any commitment to the work they are doing, even if it involves soemthing as grave as an entire country's credibility being at stake.

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Mohan, it has happened again. Could you please get the comment 'cleaned up' by Renie? I have found out that this happens when I copy and paste text from Word. I am so sorry.

Aashish Sood
Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

I have been saying since eons that even though I root for India to successfully host these games; I know that in the end, as the punjabis say, durfittemuh hi hona hai...

The inevitable has already started happening and it will only get worse... I do not enjoy this, I am saddened by all this as the next person. But, at least hope that the culprits be castrated (or something similar for females involved) on live TV!!!

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

And so have so many Indians like you were hoping against hope that things would go off well, Aashish. But far from being the window to the world on global visibility, it might just reinforce the belief that Western countries have about India being a backward country. But I believe in miracles....

Raghav Aggarwal
Raghav Aggarwal
from Jammu
13 years ago

Mani Shankar Aiyar would surely b having a great laugh today Cry

Aashish Sood
Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

In fact as I write this, there seems to be a news on IBN7 that an australian news channel is streaming how they were able to build a bomb in Delhi and smuggle it in JLN stadium!

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@Raghav: Whether Aiyer is having a laugh or not, let the world go back with all these memories erased from its collective memory as it happens in Harry Potter stories!

@Aashish: If only the media learnt to be a little restrained. As Raghav has said in another topic on the forum, media is unwittingly aiding terror with its indiscrete reporting.

Raghav Aggarwal
Raghav Aggarwal
from Jammu
13 years ago

Well as we know, India has different standards of cleanliness and hygiene...and western countries have a different take on that...-Lalit Bhanot

So, we can well imagine how the facilities would actually be..

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

When we have officials like these, do we need any enemies? :)

Raghav Aggarwal
from Jammu
13 years ago

its our fault basically, for choosing a Govt like this...Give d modis a chance whether Narendra or Lalit, they'll still deliver d goods...c what Gujarat is today, stands out, IPL, Champions league, will to do things...

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

This that have happened so far are very small (as told by delhi cm and dgp), so the bigger things are yet to happen?

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

You know what Mohan? Our great CM has even said something unpardonable about the bridge collapse. She said that it was  not for the athletes or officials but only for aam janta! Anyway, all is well that ends well The first participants have expressed their satisfaction over the arrangements at the village. Let us pray for the imporssible to happen and that we have a good show.

Raghav Aggarwal
from Jammu
13 years ago

And still delhiites (aam janta) have given her a record 3rd term as CM...

Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

@Rahgav: There wont be a 4th

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard
from Delhi
13 years ago

We have been shamed in front of the whole world.

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Do post a comment on the other topic that I just posted on the forum! Maybe all is not lost -- yet!

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Yeah. There's a saying- don't complain about the soup before its served!

kinnos
kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

I really feel hurt and embarrassed when I read things like

"......Indian constitution should be rewritten and it should start with we the filthy people of India............."".......India the 3rd most powerful country can't even make a foot over bridge and keep  blaming   China for substandard products.........."

The pain is skin deep.Cry

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Do you know what Kinnos? The foreign participants have actually commended the facilites now. Better late than never! If only the PMO had intervened earlier, this need not have happened at all. Frown

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

yup I know.I wish steps were taken earlier.Better late than never can be applied to individual but not to a country.because when a country comes late million of people bear the shame, just because of  handful of corrupt  people the whole country is tagged with unwanted adjectives.somebody have to answer for late coming.

Deepak
Deepak
from India
13 years ago

We will make CWG a successful event...

Don't worry guys!!!

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

That's what is required now. We need to cheer our athletes!

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

Cool

Raghav Aggarwal
Raghav Aggarwal
from Jammu
13 years ago

i hope so ashish....

but our janta's memory is very short lived, they forget everything easily...

Pratish Amin
Pratish Amin
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Well, the worst has just started..we will be witnessing some more because of this great people like Kalmadi and team.... if players keep on withdrawing their name from CWG then the day is not far when we gonna see Kalmadi and Sheila Dixit runnig on the track for the game....

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Don't worry Pratish, after the few athletes who withdrew, others have not followed suit and they are all coming, even the countries that threatened to pull out. so what if the governemnt is spending more crores to get 5 star hotels' help to put the flats in the Village in order? Our CM has the panache to wriggle out of tight spots and then there is a worthy scapegoat this time!

Vee
Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

Zephyr,

As an answer to on going discussion in this thread I wrote a post: http://psychesvisage.blogspot.com/2010/09/will-father-fail.html

And, while writing this I had lot going through and it took more than a couple of hours to get my idea correct. Hope I didn't get the analogy wrong in it. Do read it.

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

hey Zephyr, I am able to find my forum post!

LockSign in to reply to this thread