Let's hear one for our athletes and participants!

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

In all the hysterical screaming of the media which is hellbent on highlighting the failures of the OC of the Games to the exclusion of everything else, the most important people in this whole event have been completely ignored -- our athletes and sportspersons. These are the ones that will bring prestige to our country. Had it been cricket, the media would have run entire stories on the team members and held debates over the outcome of the series. In the absense of any such coverage from the media, at least let us all cheer these men and women who have been training for months and years to bring home the medals.

As our elders say, there is good in the worst things that happen to us and this is one such. Like in the depleted Moscow Olympics, many underdog countries had walked away with medals (even India won the last gold in hockey), we might improve our medal tally! CWG have always been a happy hunting ground for our athletes and this time it is being held at home! I would love to hear from the forum participants what they think of our medal prospects in the  different disciplines.

And here's to the participants -- Hip, hip hurray!

Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending
Nandan Narula
Nandan Narula
from Indore, Bhopal
13 years ago

Chak De India!!!

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

@Nandan: yo dude... gimme a Indi-five

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@ Nandan , Deepak: That's the spirit!Let's show the world, guys!

kinnos
kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

no sport person will feel happy to win a medal by playing against minnows.I know in a sport nobody is a underdog and nobody should be undermined. But in a competition if the best are not there then even if one wins then also he/she can't claim to be best.

I am really astonished how some Govt. authorities have not given this kind of statement yet?The best are pulling out.So thinking  about increasing our medal prospect by playing against underdogs can be considered as a silver lining,provided we are desperate enough to prove ourselves impotent. First filthy,then incompetent now impotent.India couldn't have got a better image through this event.

Raghav Aggarwal
Raghav Aggarwal
from Jammu
13 years ago

Good point made zephyr....even I was thinking on those lines...

But still our athletes need to grab the opportunity and many of them r failing in the dope tests, we surely lack d infrastructure..

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I would rather say that it is better that the bad ones are weeded out not, instead of being stripped of medals later, wouldn't you? We still have many competitors and many disciplines in which we can do well, right?

Deepak
Deepak
from India
13 years ago

Lets's hear one????

take two from ma side...

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

No, make it three and four and more, since there are a lot of despairing voices to drown out!

S.R.Ayyangar
S.R.Ayyangar
from BANGALORE
13 years ago

There is much negativity about CWG by media and all those who are gifted to write about. No doubt, lot of scams/corruption is involved but that is a part of our 'culture & heritage'. Can't all of us keep this aspect aside till the games are over? Why no body is talking about our culture of HOSPITALITY? Every one will get enough time to pounce upon Kalmadi & his gang after the games are over.

Recently came across a good story, let me share in short. A lady shifted to a new apartment. From her window she used to see the dirty cloths hanging from the balcony of opposite house. She told her husband about it. But next day when she saw outside, sparkling clean cloths were hanging. Lady was surprised but her husband clarified ' Dear, I cleaned up our windows therefore those cloths are looking cleaner!' 

Let all of us clean up our windows.

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

That is a good point of view and the story was so relevant! After all the hue and cry about entire countires withdrawing, none has actually done so and only a few athletes have pulled out. And many of them are excited about experiencing our hospitality and food. Had the media been normal, they would have done features on these aspects too. But why nothing on our athletes? True, some have been disqualified for doping, but there are so many more promising ones who could do with some morale boosting. Or is only cricket 'the sport' here?

kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

@ Mr. Ayyangar   Sir I respect your point of view and positivity.But don't  you think sir having  corruption and scam as ingredients of  our heritage and culture should be shameful to us and we should try to change it.Though I know it is a herculean task.

Once the game will be over everybody associated with game will try to pretend that there was nothing wrong ever and those who were criticizing the game were wrong from the beginning.And this has already started, whether it's the fall of bridge or fall of tiles everything is getting categorized as minor  incidents.And I don't think people with this kind of mentality are going to accept their faults later.After staging  a so so game they will take credit as if they have arranged  the best game human race has ever seen.

In this case there are really dirty cloth hanging at  front balcony .The bbc has even taken picture of those clothes http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9025907.stm .

If there will be a gutter outside our house then the smell will keep coming irrespective of  cleaning our own house.I agree with you lets clean our own house  but after cleaning our own house we should also have to clean the gutter outside.

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Hey people, this topic was started to cheer our athletes. So please let us do just that. The other comments on the CWG can be posted on the topic, 'Are our worst fears about CWG coming true?'

kinnos
kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

sorry for off topic comments.You can ask the indipolice to delete my comments by reporting them as off topic.

LockSign in to reply to this thread