Creators & Thinkers - Where are the women?

Vijayakrishna
Vijayakrishna
from Chennai
15 years ago

Make a list of 10 most famous artists, 10 most famous writers, 10 most famous poets, 10 most famous humourists and 10 most famous musicians. Out of these 50 personalities how many would be females? If you go by the normal demographical distribution, you must see 20 to 25 of those people being females. In reality, I think we might struggle to get 10 female names. I’ve always wondered why. When it comes to creative arts why don’t we see enough women there? I’m not coming to a conclusion. I’m just asking a question here. If I try to answer the question myself, I have a few options.

Opportunities: I think it can’t be a question of opportunities as they are certainly available. When I talk about opportunities I’m talking about women at large, not just Indian women. There are enough opportunities for women to get jobs in banks, companies and even politics. Creative arts require natural talent and genius which can create opportunities for the artists in the normal course of time. Are women being encouraged to take up creative arts is another question. With ‘less’ pressure to be breadwinner, I would imagine that women are better placed to take up creative arts.

Priorities: Yes, that could be different. If I’m very creative and I don’t apply my creativity beyond my realms, no one may ever get to know. As such, creativity can be applied anywhere. When they get applied in popular arts, it reaches people and creates that publicity. If I have different priorities and none of them are as popular as painting, writing, poetry, humour or music, it’s hard for me to prove that I’m a creative person too. It’s just a matter of choice about where I want to be creative.

Creativity: Is it just a matter of not being creative enough? Creativity may not have anything to do with gender. I respect statistics a lot. If creativity has nothing to do with gender, why would, even in 2009, we have less representation from women in creative arts? I know a few people who very categorically say that men are more creative than women. They say it as a matter of fact statement. It’s like saying Chennai burns like hell and Bangalore has a lovely weather. That’s how the creation is. It is not a matter of Chennai’s mistake or Bangalore’s choice when you talk about their weather. Out of the box is fine but if the box itself is very small, it may not be as out of the box as you’d like. Is their box very small? Or that’s because this is a man’s world?

I know I’ve used the word ‘creative’ a bit loosely here but I hope you get the point. To further the point, make a list of 10 most famous thinkers, 10 most famous philospohers, 10 most famous inventors, 10 most famous spiritual gurus, 10 most famous explorers and out of these find out how many . . .

vjkrishna

Critical Thoughts

Replies 1 to 2 of 2 Descending
Vijayakrishna
Vijayakrishna
from Chennai
15 years ago
Cyril Sam
from Delhi
15 years ago

http://bit.ly/EpXwD

Prerana
Prerana
from Bangalore
15 years ago

I've added a comment on your blog regarding this write up!

LockSign in to reply to this thread