A competition or a hobby!

keerthana
keerthana
from bangalore
13 years ago

Why do we blog?

For some it may be passion, for some, a hobby and for others, just a way of expressing their views. But nowadays, it has become more a competition than any thing else. Whenever, I check out indivine there are only product promotions in disguise of blogs. Already, we have so much competition in this world, now there is another! Each person will promote another's post so that his favor is returned. 

I think if this thing increases at the same scale, indivine will lose its charm.  What say?

Replies 1 to 12 of 12 Descending
Jayanth Tadinada
Jayanth Tadinada
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I am surprised that this is not the hottest topic. May be people are too busy promoting products on their blogs :p I kind of agree with Keerthana

Unknown
Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

Check this thread started much before teh current one and talks about the same.

http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=6755

May be Keerthana was inspired by that or didnt notice that already there exists one for the same topic.. so people.. drop in your views in that thread..

lets not have parallel threads for same topic

Nandan Narula
from Indore, Bhopal
13 years ago

Unknown Bhai . . . bang on target. I agree with Keerthana PoV, but the link provided by Unknown Bhai is also about contests and votes. Lets move there

keerthana
keerthana
from bangalore
13 years ago

@Unknown...Oops! My mistake, I didnt see that!

keerthana
from bangalore
13 years ago

@Unknown- I just checked the link you have provided, it talks about how people are not true to their heart when they blog because of some competition. I'm saying that indivine is losing its charm because of that!...Its not fun to read a hundred posts of the same competition on indivine's, thats what I'm talkin about, whether someone is true to their heart or not, is not my concern 

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

@Kee.. before I give an impression that I am tryin to do some kind of policing..I felt both the threads will have some common points and the discussion wld some how boils down to contests...so said that....at first read of ur title and intro...it seemed a similar one..and believe thats y @Nandan also concurred with me..

keerthana
keerthana
from bangalore
13 years ago

@Unknown- Hmmm! True! 

Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

@Unknown lol policing Tongue out

Abhishek Sinha
Abhishek Sinha
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I totally agree with Keerthana. That topic sounds a little different and more poetic in context. "Do you blog by heart?" Isn't that a bit utopian?

Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

:)

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I QUIT, hate the way people are begging for votes!

keerthana
keerthana
from bangalore
13 years ago

@Abhishek- Thank you :)  :)

@Mohan- Thats great! I hope everybody stops it.. I feel its nothing but commercial abuse of creativity..

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

Keerthana - Just posted my comment in the other thread "Unknown" pointed to.

Or let me post it here for the sake of completeness -

I usually tend to participate in contests with some themes and prompts, but not in those which promote products. I try to put in "my thoughts" (my own thoughts usually on society, nature, social elements and emotions) into those themes rather than writing for sake of winning those. This way my blog reaches more people than it would in a normal case. But, that's about.

I'm going through enough of rat race in my life and I don't want to do that in my blog too :D

What do you say guys?

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

and would love to hear back from you on this!!!

keerthana
keerthana
from bangalore
13 years ago

Hmmm Maybe....But not everyone is the same Laughing...! 

Abhishek Sinha
Abhishek Sinha
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I think to each one his own. For me it is a hobby so I am not even going to change my content to  win a contest and I am sick of competitions. After coding for 5 days and sometimes more, I don't want to come and have more heartburn in asking for votes in weekends, so I don't put entries anywhere. 

But for some people blogging is a career. So winning a competition is means to get notice and attract more people to your blog. But one should literally not beg for votes, as Mohan said. You should enter a competition and let people decide how you fare.

@Abhishekitis

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

Cant agree more to what you said..

Aashish Sood
Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

Well I started blogging with an aim that I should be able to get things across the way I want to... Whether or not I have too many or too less people to read it doesnt matter... and ofcourse to discuss it in general with people whom I would not have been able to access otherwise. Some of my posts have been spontaneous with less than couple of hours of effort while some have taken over months of effort; Fo instance, my latest post on Big Fat Punjabi Weddings has been in the making for over three months now before I recently posted it...

I treat each post as being close to my heart and would be interested in all equally... at times I do participate in some competitions, but only if I feel that that competition goes in tune with the general posts that I write... but if the competition is something that doesnt go with the way I usually write, I do not partcipate in it.

Abhishek Sinha
Abhishek Sinha
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I just love Aashish Sood's reply. He did promote his blog but very subtlySmile and I really did went to his blog to read the Punjabi wedding, and from now on I will be a regular reader of him.  

Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

I am glad that you did like the post and would love to have a regular reader... The idea of my post was not to promote the blog, subtly or not, but as I said, to talk about something that I do care to talk about... and yes what I said in my reply is true... I really take my posts very seriously :D

LockSign in to reply to this thread