Will the success of the CWG give a fillip to sports in India?

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

The CWG are over and contrary to our worst fears have turned out a grand success -- in terms of medals, organising, conducting of the games themselves, the opening and closing ceremonies in the most spectacular manner, beautifying the city, (so what if it is mostly window-dressing and camouflaging?).

Once the cheers have died down, will those guilty of bungling and corruption be brought to book? Or will they be allowed to go scot-free in the euphoria of a successful event coming to pass? Public memory is short and since the event has been spectacularly successful, it is quite possible that the entire mess leading up to it might be brushed under the carpet forevermore.

Crores have been spent on the sporting infrastructure, but will they be put to proper use? What will happen to the sportspersons who have brought the country the highest tally of medals including 38 gold -- with their sweat? Will sports get a fillip or just languish back to its dismal days?

What do the forum participants think of these and other related issues?

Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

A feel proud moment for all, and the next is to get to the roots of corrupt babus to repeat not the defaming tactics in front of world.

@ mohan ji, rightly said, but financial crime is rarely booked in india, politicians go scot free.,there r  many glitches in law fr their escapades. 

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

To do that, we have to rein in the crazy media that goes berserk in the name of 'breaking news'. If anyone has bought disrepute to the country, it is this overzealous half-baked journalists who have no sense of propreity or proportion. But now it is time to thrash the guilty and damned if it is in public!

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@Pramod, you are so right. If the event had not been such a grand success, they might have been made to pay, but now they will feel 'justified' and 'martyred' if they are booked. The IF is a big one.

Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

Zephyr - I'm worried about the same too! The IF is a big one. Will the booking of cases against guilty ever happen? I really wonder if the Indian media brings in this issue about the corruption in their articles now.

Aashish Sood
Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

I do sincerely hope that this doesnt make the egos too big... And the culprits be brought to justice... and the real fun will begin when the Rs. 70000 cr expenditure will come to be explained... Lets wait and watch!!!

Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Like I replied to Vee, in a scam of such magnitude, there must be big fish, sharks and whales, The question is how many will be nailed or if Kalmadi alone will be the sacrificial goat.

Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

I dont think Kalmadi would be of the kind that would go down alone!

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@Vee, it looks like the inquiry has started and the CAG has moved in to investigate. But the question is, will the big fish get away after sacrificing one small one? In such a big scam it can't be just one person, surely?

But the more important thing is to use the facilities for the improvement of sports in the country. That is the bigger IF.

@ Zephyr, we have to live with the system,  and hope for the best.

issues r endless, no answer in sight.

Zephyr
Zephyr
from Mumbai
13 years ago

What will happen to the stadia? will they let them out for marriages and sales considering that the sportspersons will not get to use the facilities?

LockSign in to reply to this thread