Is Alexa Toolbar a Spyware?

Nandan Narula
Nandan Narula
from Indore, Bhopal
13 years ago

I installed the Alexa Toolbar a few weeks back after reading the benefits of doing the same on an Indivine post. Today, while surfing, i came across many articles stating that Alexa Toolbar is a Spyware.

Indibloggers plz help !!! Is it a Spyware ?

Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Nandan, this is how I would look at it.

If alexa is going to rank your site only from those users who use alexa tool bar, what is the credibility of their ranking mechanism? I feel it is grossly flawed and I am least bothered about alexa. Now to top it up with such reports... it only takes me farther from alexa!

Nandan Narula
from Indore, Bhopal
13 years ago

Thanks Mohan. I am learning a lot new things at this forum. :-)

Prashant Sharma
Prashant Sharma
from New Delhi
13 years ago

Hi Nandan, 

Alexa toolbar isn't a spyware so don't worry...It's not going to harm you by stealthily transmiting your data for hacking or other purposes. It's just meant to show you Alexa ranking of other sites and also take your browsing data for ranking other sites on Alexa metrics...

Yeah, if you want to increase your Alexa ranking, you keep this toolbar installed. As it's obvious that you will visit your site daily, your alexa ranking will automatically improve by this.

Nandan Narula
Nandan Narula
from Indore, Bhopal
13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your inputs and sharing your experience  :-)

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Adding a tool bar or widget doesnt make sense to me... as mohan said, it doesnt help us understand creditability of their mechanism.

LockSign in to reply to this thread