IndiBlr Meetup Discussion on Online Harassment

Prasanna V
Prasanna V
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Well, For those who could not attend the Indiblr meetup, you also missed some red hot discussion on topics like Online Harassment, Blogging on Gagdets that make things easy, Indiforum etc.Some of the indibloggers decided to be part of the discussion on:What, How, Where of:

• Online Harassment
  • Stalking
  • Trolling
  • and even Vote Begging

Discussions began with explanations of what online harassment consituted and the definitions of stalking, trolling, and some one even suggested adding Vote Begging to the list becuase it was affecting their peace of mind :)  Participants shared very interesting views, observations and real life incidents and the measures they took on countering some of these issuesSome one suggested that being paranoid on the web helps in minimizing crimes. Then there were discussions that involved On how there is No Delete button in the world wide web, about Google Caching, Search engines storing data despite you deleting it from your sites, facebook accounts, a lady whose group photo was uploaded on Facebook by her friends was getting unsolicited calls for modeling.

Indiladies felt that its women who are generally at the receiving end of online harassments, but many guys also shared their bad experiences on the net. Inadequecy of the Indian Cyber laws was highlighted and they being less deterrent to the rise of online crimes. Ownership of the photos uploaded on the sites like Flickr, Facebook and how we lose rights over them. Photos of many residents being uploaded without their knowledge...The recent spats involving #Barkhagate, Ranvir Shorey's outburst and subsequent apologies, #chetanblocks etc made the discussion very interesting.Some of the measures one could take to avoid Online Harassment:

• Awareness
  • Reading Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, End User Licensing Agreement
  • Limiting Personal information
  • Being conscious of what you are doing online

Folks, I might have missed any please let me know and do let me know your twitter handles...PrasannaTwitter: @pranxter

www.virtualthoughts.org

Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Descending
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Hello Prasanna i believe due to paucity of time, dicussions might not have been elaborate.  But point well taken that females bear the brunt of stalking, knocking or whatever it takes disturb them is adopted by pransters and peeping toms online.  But there are more serious issues when your important mails get deleted surreptiously from your mail box, have you all guys experienced it........you maybe in for big surprises in future, thinking all your important documents are safe in the mail box.....traditional hard copy is the safest i presume....

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Prasanna,

Thanks for the update on the discussions happening on the IndiBlr meet. this turned out to be once again a meet with hot topics.. for those who attended last time will be able to relate to this so very well. 

Our information is not safe on the net. We are at the risk of loosing the data to someone else. As umesh said, hacking is a bigger threat where people can peep into your data and sniff it off, for fun or for money.

Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

Thanks for summing up man! Great work Smile

LockSign in to reply to this thread