Don't Kill Your Grammar Please!

Hola Indibloggers! Laughing

Indiblogger.in rocks! - No doubts on that. Cool

I think I am officially two days old on Indiblogger. But I am already having a wonderful experience in here.

But there is something bad happening occasionaly in the forums. People are ignoring their grammar. I think grammar to a blogger is as important as the bat is to Sachin Tendulkar (or maybe even as important as Libya is to GaddafiWink).

Honestly speaking, I've been browsing through the forum reading topics and I've had to bang my head on my keyboard 60 times in 60 minutes (and yes I've had a good laugh tooTongue out). In fact, there are people who have been speaking about how important 'grammer' is to them and how bad they feel when people do not 'maintaian' things with love and care and how it shows 'there' lack of seriousness and something something about 'respatable' bloggers... it goes on! I couldn't read halfway through few of the replies.FrownCry

Grammar is a quintessential weapon of a good blogger. So people this is an earnest request from a fellow newbie Indiblogger - Please Please Please Please Please take care of your grammar and DO NOT KILL IT!Yell

I will try my best informing people whenever and wherever i think that they have made grammatical errors.Cool

Share your thoughts. How do we react to bad grammar? Do we need 'Grammar Police'?

P.S: You can also share your funny experiences with 'grammar-killed' people!Surprised

Replies 1 to 15 of 15 Descending

::Disclaimer Notice::

In case I make/have made a mistake myself, (which I don't think I have)... please have mercy on me and spare me those thunderbolts of sarcasm.Innocent

Thank You.

P.S: This is my first forum topic on Indiblogger!Cool

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Hey! that was for me thanks. It happens to me always, but just see how irritating is to read such mistakes I think I have given practical exampal ijn't et? You can take my name wht some ppl! Oh! That's me - MOHINI! So visit my blogs and find more and more such mistakes ! You are welcome!

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

btw thnks fro reiding my thoughets so seroisuly!Tongue out

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Oh Mohini, you are greatSmileSmile

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Thanks Arti! Laughing

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

It's an reasearch taht if you mentain frist and lsat chraracter you can raed wahtever is crreoctly! Just check out this one!

Pranay
from Abu Dhabi
13 years ago

LOL! 

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

LOL+1Smile

Hey Mohini yes you're right it was your example which i cited. I'd suggest you type things in Microsoft Word first. It always points out spelling mistakes as well as grammar errors.

P.S: I didn't expect such a positive reply from you! but.. hey! thats great!

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion! I already use a software for spell check and grammar check. My prob nowadays is net connection it's always problematic for me, so I just put comments here in a hurry. Also we are lil bit informal here. So doesn't care much. Of course not that case while blogging. One more reason is the concentration on the work. That is most needed for the perfection. Then naturally we would not do the mistake. And spell - check option has one more problem, sometimes our mistake create some new word , so it is not identified there as error. Also this makes our brain weak to be dependent on spell check.

And about positive response, we are all friends here come to co - operate and have lots of fun too. I would love if you suggest it directly to me as a friend. This way may be hurting for anybody.

By the way - have you heard about a word BESTEST - it's not a mistake it's contribution to English by me of course.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Sorry Mohonish! I just didn't see you put comment on the particular thread. Thanks for pointing out. This shows even mistakes by me are becoming popular. Tongue out. Kidding.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

On a serious note, Yes grammer is very important to a blogger, if he has to retain his followers... As they say first impression is the last impression:)

right! proper grammar is very important in making a good impression on your first time readers. I agree!

oh by the way... "Grammar" Arti... watch it! Wink

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Oops

Here is a suggestion.Wink

When you type anything on the forum, in the text box menu, on the top right there is an icon (tic mark and ABC on top) for the Spell-checker feature. I'd suggest everyone to turn it on because i found that it is put Off by default. It helps a lot. Most of the times, our mistakes are unintentional and go unnoticed. So it will definitely point out where you've gone wrong. Try it!

Happy Blogging! Smile

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Never noticed it!!!

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Thanks Mohonish! 

Look at THAT!

Now i've made a grammatical error myself!  I said "Most of the times" where it should have been "Most of the time"! (Not time's') Tongue out Sorry! Wink

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

I am gonna fire you for that! Surprised

Please don't do that! Innocent Laughing

Sakhi Shah
Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

All the replies to this post are hilarious. ;) 

But honestly I agree with the thread creator...people ignore grammar to much, not just on this forum but it seems also on their blogs. I cant read through any blog that has chat speak in its name/tagline/description, even though I might live sometimes with seeing it in the actual posts (to some extent.) 

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Hi Sakhi, Seeing you here after a long long time...

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Hey ya Arti, it has been a long time. I havent been able to come online as much. 

And when did I use grammer? :P 

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Oh wait sorry, that was for someone else. My bad. :P 

DS
DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Yes grammer is very important, AgreedSmile

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

YellGRAMMER? GRAMMER?? GRAMMER?????  YellYell

DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Calm Down MohiniSurprised

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Hamne kiya toh katl hua aur unhone kiya to aah bhi nahi. There is a Sher like this I think. This was for Mohonish.Cool

Vyshnavi
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Mo Surprised

Ha Ha Laughing ! Wah wah! Wah Wah Mohini! Laughing

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Hah:-)
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Thanks that was a wrong sher! original is diff. neway, you can take it as mine. tx tx Vysh, Arti, Mohonish.

Pallav Gogoi
Pallav Gogoi
from Noida
13 years ago

@Rohan...internevtion or Intervention? :P

Rohan
from Mumbai
13 years ago

OPSS ! TYPO ! What an irony Innocent

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

hehehehe! sabke sath hota hai............Laughing

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Smile

poetry is one thing that is exempted from the so called GRAMMER. Smile 

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Yup! + 1 Pramodji! 

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Poetry is a language of its own, isn't it??

Poetry and Shakespeare! both are exempted from the laws of Grammar!

"Et tu Brute?"

hail,hail, hail

Priya
from Pune
13 years ago

Hm, but that doesn't mean Shakespeare wasn't 'good' at grammar. He was so good, he didn't need the rules! The only one who should get to change/break the rules, is one who knows all of them!

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Agree with Priya completely.
Pallav Gogoi
from Noida
13 years ago

Shakespeare created his own words, made his own rules, and ruled the universe with his timeless prose and poetry. If you want to write, you have to praise him because he is still alive, smiling from his grave. Oh Poetry! Thou shall never die…

yeah of course! Shakespeare doesn't need grammar... his dramas are splendid anyway!

My take would be too much stress on grammer can kill the creativity. there is the tapori lang. slang, etc. exempting educationists blogs, we cannot be bound harshly by grammer. at my age I have forgotten all the bloody tenses and pretenses.

something like ,future past perfect

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

future past perfect! 

Pallav Gogoi
Pallav Gogoi
from Noida
13 years ago

‘Most good copywriters . . . fall into two categories. Poets. And killers. Poets see an ad as an end. Killers as a means to an end.’ If you are both killer and poet, you get rich.~ David OgilvyOglivy was ignorant about formal grammatical rules, yet he is considered to be the world's best copywriter. Why? Writing is all about passion. No strings attached however grammar and other things come naturally and worrying too much about these things may block your thought process. Write drunk, edit sober - Virginia Woolf

thumbs up,

I think you second my views.

Vyshnavi
from Bangalore
13 years ago

+1

Vysh

Agreed! but I will leave it to the "great people" to play with grammar! There are a lot of writers/poets who have not necessarily followed it. As for me, i still don't consider myself to be even near to their talent/works. So i follow grammar. Like a small child! Smile

Mohonish, how was ur exam today, best wishes

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

But I can't control myself feeling gr8. Though I try, but no! 

Pallav Gogoi
Pallav Gogoi
from Noida
13 years ago

@Mohonish Chakraborty...i or I? :P

oops! but oh come on!.. an "i" and an "I" isn't that harmful!

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Oh Really!

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

LaughingThis thread has become like grammatical Holi isn't it? Sab rang gaye!

Laughing yeah somewhat!

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Hah :-)

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Some nice round of discussion happening here..

I guess Grammar is not important when you can still convey things to people. Only those will be offended who think grammar is everything in an article. Many a times I have seen mistakes in a Newspaper! Now no one would expect taht, but you still see it. ITs how you take it. Some times, for some people, not following the grammar makes look so attrative.

Having said that, formation of sentences is very important and that makes or breaks the meanings.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Well - said Hemal!

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

+1Smile

Yeah right! I've seen mistakes in many newspapers too. And sometimes, wrong grammar is inentional.

It is all about conveying what you want to say to your readers clearly and effectively.

Pallav Gogoi
Pallav Gogoi
from Noida
13 years ago

@Mohonish Chakraborty...inentional or intentional? Very Bad :P

oopsy! Now i'm really pissed of with myself!!! Yell

thanks for pointing out. Frown

'pissed off' i mean! sorry! its 4 a.m and i'm really sleepy here! Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Xeno seems to have taken a long sleep Tongue out