Categories in Indivine

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I just submitted a post on Holi and had difficulty in deciding under what section I should publish it...

I think there should be a culture/festival sub category under life style... What do you all think??

Edited 13 years ago
Reason: typo
Replies 1 to 18 of 18 Descending

categorizationns should surely be added. many times we are at a loss to find a suitable category.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Yes Pramodji, there should be an update.
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

+++ to Arti and Pramodji! There should be more and more categories and sub - categories. The poems I submit, can be included in different categories , but just have to submit in Poetry. Plz suggest more categories.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I would suggest Festivals/ Culture for a start since that was the reason for starting this threadSmile

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

+1 to Arti.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Thanks Mohini, any other you can think of??

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

About Spirituality and Philosophy.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Anyone can think of some other categories, please submit here...
Tulika
Tulika
from Pune
13 years ago

Parenting, kids... oh please lets not club it in personal.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

needed!

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Thats true, it should be seperate from personal...
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

for this i m supporting only dont know anything abt parenting, coz people have to take care of me as a kid.Tongue out

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Lets get this thing straight. Create a list of Categories that are needed with Sub categories. see if the sub categories can be attached. For eg: Defence/Strategic related posts can be under "Nation & Politics" > National Security & Patriotism.

See we all have different wishes, but to keep things simple, we need to see the best ways to intergrate things into existing frameworks. Adding on everything will make thigns murkier. Its certainly a good thing that IndiBlogger does not heed to every blogger as if 1000 bloggers suggest different categories and they oblige, imagine the Messs.

SO Instead of asking for categories that your own personal blog belongs to, try to see the bigger picture and think about how to make it useable for others as well.

I hope i didnt sounded too bad? Innocent

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Yes you didFoot in mouth

Just kidding! On a serious note though, you are right... Our ultimate aim definitely is to improve the system by making some positive changes into the existing structure and not turn it into an untidy clutter!

Its just that sometimes we may not know what is the precise solution to something that’s flawed but definitely know that it needs some tampering here and there! So if someone has suggested something, we can definitely think over it and add on to the suggestion to make it a viable option worth considering for the Inditeam!

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Yep! I agree with you @arti. We can certainly collect each and every request, see which fits in where. If something fits in existing ones, we dont need to create a new category altogether

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Thanks Hemal:)
DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Ya Hemal you are right... Thank God we have cricket as my blog is totally focussed on it!!
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Cricket had to be there as we live in a nation obsessed with it!!
DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Yup. People will go on hunger strike if cricket was not one of the sub categories:-P
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

last para is bad, i think. coz there are many general categories, which are not availble in Indi. so people should tell....it.........hope i am too much.........soft! neway thanks for the concern........@ Hemal!Cool

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

This is a bit unrelated , but it's my fav, please make more and more smilys available on forum and talk, and at least for me and pramodji you have to do that, coz we have experimented highest no. of codes, in which he won, but worked only a few. hope i m not wrong.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Ya... The smileys can be increased too, and what codes Mohini??
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

That are available on yahoo.....etc, i saw lots of codes tried too but they dont work here.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Mohini I still did not get it, Sorry :$
DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
What codes are we talking about here!!
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

you can check out yahoo smilys! smily for party, smily for sleepy.....like tht.!Cool

DS
DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
I love Dan Brown...
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Hah :) Nice one!!
ankush
ankush
from bangalore
13 years ago

I was thinking on a different line of thought. "Do we need categories?"

Why can't we just go away with categories?

Categories are in one way meta-tagging the blog. And then we tag our blogs again in the bottom of the post. Rather than bringing in redundancy to the system, if we go away with the categorization then it will make everyone's life easier. Won't it? :)

Now, Tags can be of two kinds:

1. Random ones, as we all tend to do.

2. Indicative ones, as given by the Indi admin team. This should resolve the issues being brught out here.

Any thoughts?

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Nice thought there... But by categories we can find Blogs easily, like we know that ok this section contains travel related posts or this section contains poems... So one can easily choose as per ones likes...
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
What say??
ankush
from bangalore
13 years ago

Arti: Think of the world without categories but a world with tags.Here are some of the good points that I can think of:

- The power to categorize lies with the user

- If you want to look for psots for travel, you can click on the tag called "Travel"

- The same blog can be tagged with multiple tags. e.g. if you write a travel blog on Delhi, that has only photographs. Shouldn't it be tagged as travel, delhi, photography; instead of only the category Travel?

What do you think?

DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
One of the best thoughts seen here, great... Am with you on this:)
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@ankush @DS

Nice suggestion ankush, here is what i think -1. Since 1 post can be labeled/categorized with multiple tags, Redundancy might pose a problem.  In the sense that, people would want to label their posts with as many and whatever tags as possible so that their posts appear across various topics.2. The tag cloud needs to be predefined just like the existing categories or sub categories otherwise the entire thing will be a huge mess. Then again in the predefined case, people will want to add new tags and labels best suited according to their posts. Just like I wanted festivals and culture for my holi post, thus that ‘category’ problem remains stuck.I personally actually loved your suggestion of not tying our posts in one string but giving it the space to expand across various topics… but I think it needs some more working and time for if the team were to scrap the existing system entirely in place of a new one then the new one should be completely foolproof and definitely better than the existing one...?

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@ankush @DS

Very nice suggestion, here is what i think -

•  Since 1 post can be labeled/categorized with multiple tags, Redundancy might pose a problem.  In the sense that, people would want to label their posts with as many and whatever tags as possible so that their posts appear across various topics.
  •  The tag cloud needs to be predefined just like the existing categories or sub categories otherwise the entire thing will be a huge mess. Then again in the predefined case, people will want to add new tags and labels best suited according to their posts. Just like I wanted festivals and culture for my holi post, thus that ‘category’ problem remains stuck.
  • I personally actually loved your suggestion of not tying our posts in one string but giving it the space to expand across various topics… but I think it needs some more working and time for if the team were to scrap the existing system entirely in place of a new one then the new one should be completely foolproof and definitely better than the existing one... ?
ankush
from bangalore
13 years ago

Arti, you are absolutely correct. The questions raised by you are genuine and here are my answers:

1. Do you really think "as many and whatever tags" is a problem? What is the whole essence of a forum like this? Freedom! Isn't it? Well, putting it in correct words, Structured freedom! How to bring about the structure?  Structure in such forums can't be brought about at the expense of freedom. It has to be people driven. So, tagging gives freedom to people. But the size of each tag gives structure to it.

Example: You may tag your post: holi, festival, india. But, since there are more tags for India, tag "India" will be biggest. "Holi" tag will be not visible clearly in the whole tag cloud. But, if someone searches for "Holi" tag particulary then your blog will come up.

2. So, by the same argument as above, we go away with the "Moderator-defined" categories and bring around "People-defined" tags. Therefore, there will be a defined struture but that structure will be ad-hoc defined by the particiapting people.

Does this sound good?

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Sounds good... It is a fine line between the two methods, will have to consider all pros and cons before we arrive at any conclusion... Lets see if we get any more suggestions on this...
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Anyone else??
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

I'm with @ankush on the tagging debate.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Tags or categories, as long as they are predefined am finw wirh it. The problem i have seen over the years at indiblogger is some bloggers can get over excited and may even do a fake tagging... Which means tagging their blog with a tag that is no where related to the post, but doing so to get more search results.
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yup thats a problem for sure Hemal, I agree.
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I believe we can have categories like culture, cricket and civics, good suggestion there, and movie reviews are missing too

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Started this thread because of culture/ festivals... Movie reviews also sounds interesting...
TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
13 years ago
I also do not understand why literature should be clubbed with personal. Shouldn't stories and poems have separate categories? The writers who write stories and poems can not be clubbed with those who put up a blog post every time they sneezed.
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Hehe... Loved the last line, you are right stories and poems are very important categories...
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

I agree with @TheFool. Personal is not the same as art&literature. Personal relates to the narration of anecdotes.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Very true.
Ahimaaz Rajesh
from India
12 years ago

Finding Short Stories under Personal/Offbeat is quite heartbreaking. If our stories (fiction/literature) are personal (and cannot transcend that), we mustn't call ourselves creative writers in the first place.

ankush
ankush
from bangalore
12 years ago

Are we reaching a consensus? Or are we lsot on this discussion?

Curious to know ;)

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Dont know, hope some Indimoderators are looking this up!!
Pundit Commentator
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
12 years ago

I think the Inditeam is too busy to look into suggestions right now. 

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

actually they working something very big called Indirank , may be then .

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
12 years ago

@DS.

I think promotions and marketing is probably more time consuming than upgrading IndiRank and is probably the reason they keep putting off the upgrade.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Renie has himself replied!!
Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
12 years ago

Points noted people - first off, we need to redesign the navigation on IndiVine so we can accomodate more categories - this is fairly high on our to-do list, and once that's done, we'll include the categories you've mentioned.

As for the tags, we'll put in a tag cloud + dedicated IndiVine search, so we'll have the best of both worlds. Hope that works for everyone. Smile

Ahimaz - thanks for sending me the email!

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thanks Renie for the reply, hope the newer version of Indivine hits soon... Eagerly waiting for it!!
Ahimaaz Rajesh
from India
12 years ago

This is great! Thanks, Renie, for getting back to us this soon.

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Renie, waiting:)
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Nice work@ Arti and Ahimaz:)
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thanks
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
How about a category Indipost.. All the posts that people write about Indirank, Indimeet, or about anything that revolves around Indiblogger can be posted under this category!!
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thats a very novel idea, seems great!! Nice :)
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Though I will never write about these issues since mine is a cricket blog but just thought that this category will make things easier for the scores of people who write on Indi things!!!
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Me too, only travel!!
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Looks like no one else is interested in this category!!
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Renie has shown interest in this thread... Patience, things will be done...
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I think many of the changes requested I can see already.. but still, have a look as promised.

Link to Google Spreadsheet

Arti, as of now I have shared this publicy for viewing. If you IndiMail me your email id, I can grant you edit access. When you add/remove a category, please mark the cell yellow

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

All,

Continue our discussions here... Cool

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thats a very good initiative Hemal:)
Averil Gomes
Averil Gomes
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I'm new here, and while my blog primarily focusses on Baking and Cooking, it also showcases some of my Artwork. Figured I would share some of my posts here and while searching for a suitable category and subcategory to post my work under, was distressed to find that there isn't one for Art (Drawing, Painting, Clay Modelling, Sculpture etc). Now while there is a category for 'Arts and Theatre' which I assume relates to the performing arts and Photography, Art expressed through and on paper or canvas (watercolours, acrylic, oils etc), or through clay, metal, stone or other mediums is relegated to being classified as a hobby Cry. For me it is much more than that. So this is a heartfelt request to the administrators to please relook the categorisation and provide one for Art in the forms I've mentioned. Thanks

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yeah, you do have a point. There are many people here who would second that thought Averil, i presume.

What are you requesting for Arts as a completely seperate category or a subcategory under some main already existing category? That would help sort out things better.

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

For now, I think a subcategory can be added, so Averil and artists like her can share with the Indivine na? Smile

When we're recategorizing the Indivine properly, I think we can look at developing on it further.. Smile

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yeah, you are right leo. That indivine recategorization thing also got stalled midway, dunno...  need to bring it up again.

Averil Gomes
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yeah, a sub-category would be great for starters Vinay. Something, anything would be good Arti, instead  of the 'Hobby' sub-cat.

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
There was that another thread too, was it not?

LockSign in to reply to this thread