Poll: Do you use Disqus? [Resolved]

Pundit Commentator
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

Do you use Disqus to facilitate comments on your blog? 

Do you use Disqus to comment on other websites?

Please share your experiences- good or bad - with Disqus on this thread.

Edited 13 years ago
Reason: Edited topic.
Replies 1 to 17 of 17 Descending
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
I dont like disqus for the main reason that you cannot comment from the mobile... Also it takes lots of time to load...
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

Valid reasons.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
I really dont like it, to say in simpler words!!
Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

I am thinking from many months, Undecided

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

You must have an international readership if you're thinking about installing Disqus on your blog! Indian audiences don't seem to like it!

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

i have a doubt what to do about old comments!

Both the answer is no for me.

thanks.

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

Out of curiosity, may I ask why not? Have you never come across a website you wanted to comment on and they only used Disqus?

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
13 years ago

Yes, i have, and i avoided commenting..

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
13 years ago
I had disqus for nearly a year. But I removed it now. Good points of disqus 1. People who comment on your blog do not come back to check if you have replied. If you use disqus the replies will be mailed to their mailboxes 2. Good for managing comments across posts and blogs Disadvantages 1. Loading time 2. If disqus site is down, your site can't receive comments,
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

Is the loading time that bad for dial-up connections? Thanks for sharing the second point.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
The loading time is quite bad:-(
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

By the way, you haven't put up your blog for review here and I didn't want to include this on the Alexa review:

Please consider changing the font colour on some grey text and the green colour of some of your oldest posts. These colours make the post invisible against the current background.

abhin@v
abhin@v
from mumbai
13 years ago

I have started using disqus on my blog because it givesa more professional look to my blog. But then i recieve very few comments on my blog, but thats a different issue anyway Tongue out

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

What do you blog about and how often do you blog?

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I remember that when @Promod had started using Disqus, his older comments vanished. Now that is a big Disadvantage, aint it?

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

There's an easy fix for that. You just have to merge your profiles and merge your blog's comment widget with Disqus. Please let @Promod know he can do that in minutes and recover older comments.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Pramodji uses intense debate...
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@arti thanks i saw that later after commenting here...

@PC The Fix should have been inbuilt without any need to be done by the user. at least mroe than 60% of the bloggers dont have technical knowledge..

btw there is no point me debating here as am happpy with my wordpress comment box! Wink

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

I have zero technical knowledge and I started blogging three weeks ago and I managed to merge both my previous user profile and my own Blogspot comments system with Disqus.  It's that easy.

Animesh
from Mumbai
13 years ago

You can import old comments. I have not lost any comments. Yes, there is issue with loading time but I still like it

Sauvik
Sauvik
from Kolkata
13 years ago

discuss s bad .. i used it for 2 months ... and then dumped it ... not so convinient and user frndly platform...and loading takes time...and sometimes i couldnt access the comment section.. dunno y ...

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I installed Disqus on demand from international readers. I agree that it doesn't work that well sometimes for many people. I've never had a problem myself but I hear lots of people complaining.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
As of now nobody seems to be happy with it...
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

of course, PC seems to be! right?

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

Thanks for sharing your opinion and experience, Arti. I've heard lots of users complaining about Disqus but luckily, never had any problems myself. So I wanted to hear what everybody at IndiBlogger thought about it.

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

@hemal: I'm gathering opinions from potential Indian readers! I installed Disqus on my blog on demand from international readers! :-)

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
PC.. More then anything I think that it is personal preference...
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
One more thing though I am not completely sure about it, is that the comments of Blogspot are searched as part of your post, hence you get more keywords as readers add value with thier comments but the comments of disqus are not searched... Though not sure on this one, maybe someone can elaborate it better...
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Disqus loading issues and integration is very slow, once a way i post on disqus.  I believe the perceived benefits may be worth trying to reach international audience.  Let us look forward for some positive features which compell us to use Disqus

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

@umesh:

Benefits of Disqus:

1. It allows users to keep track of comments made across several websites.

2. It allows the blog owner to moderate and ban users

3. It builds a community through the instant communication and reply features

4. It builds a community through the "like" button.

5. People who already have Disqus profiles will be more likely to comment on your blog.

Pundit Commentator
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

@arti - Really?

Does anyone know about this?

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Not sure, but have read like this on the net... Can someone enlighten us more on this...

I think disqus has a galore of advantages..And I see many people are deeming it to have a slow loading time.

But i think relative to its competitors, disqus is a faster commenting system. (not considering the blogger default)

And it has a host of features as well.

With respect to its uploading time... i think disqus uploads in 5 seconds for good connections and about 15 seconds for weak connections.

But people don't open a post and go directly to comment, isn't it?

Visitors read the post first. So i think the loading time doesn't even matter.

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

Thank you for sharing this perspective, The Xeno.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Has anyone tried comment luv... It is also great to reply to each comment personally and does not have a loading time!!
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

Nope, sorry. I'm quite O.K. with Disqus.

Pundit Commentator
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

To repeat myself, Disqus allows people to remain anonymous if they choose not to create an account.  Leave a comment with any name and any email id.

You contradict yourself with your second point. How does a non-blogger have a blog of his own to link to via his name? Regardless, people are free to link to whatever they like in their comments.  Lastly, if people have Disqus on their own blog, clicking on their Disqus profile will reveal that as one of the communities they moderate.

DS
DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
I dont like disqus... It is not for me... Dont like the look of the thing and what to say about the loading time!!!
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

OK!

Dhiraj Shenoy
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Disqus basically works best for a self hosted blog rather than a blogpost blog ....

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

Please tell me more.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
A very good point Dheeraj...

Oh yeah! People REMEMBER

If you've decided to go for Disqus instead of your default blogger commenting system, think again. Disqus is absolutely wonderful as you have already found out by the above views.

Here are two negative points of disqus to think about.

• If you shift to disqus, you can import your previous blogger comments to disqus. But if you decide to shift back to the default blogger commenting system, it is almost impossible to export the comments back to blogger. If you have your own domain and are publishing through anything other than wordpress or blogger, then it might be possible for you. But that will require hell lot of a knowledge about it. And i didn't find any helpful articles on the web about this.So moving to Disqus is permanent. If you want to come back to blogger, you lose the previous comments in Disqus.
  • I've had complaints that the Disqus system is extremely slow, unresponsive and difficult to operate from a mobile than the blogger default.

SO, think before you decide if you really want disqus.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
It is impossible to write a comment from the mobile on the disqus platform :@

LockSign in to reply to this thread