How does Indiblogger screen fake ids ?

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

In virtual world there are many jekl and hyde characters, which i have experienced.  For example i can be goody goody in my geniune id and create a fake id preferably with a female name and start attacking senior and reputed blogger. It is very easy to pick link of Youtube, topical news and create a small post and pose as genuine id.   I am wondering how can we identify such characters, one clue is through IP protocol, secondly the style of writing and usage of peculiar words or phrases, etc.  I am only able to think of two ways of identifying fake ids, there may be many more guys come educate me.  I hope indipolice is aware of such dangers

Replies 1 to 12 of 12 Descending
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Umesh, IndiBlogger has a team of moderators who screens blogs personally.

Yes, using the IP we can track a user if he is logging in from the same computer through two different ids. But its also possible (rarely though) that user is accessing the site via a common cyber cafe or any public places.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

HELLO HEMAL, This issue is serious operating through fake id is a big downer for sincere and reputed bloggers.  I found out this through experience, and we tracked it another forum wherein a reputed blogger was goody goody using polite language, but he wanted to target and attack other popular bloggers in the forum, so he created a idea in female form and started logging alternatively from same PC.  We complained when we found a pattern and the forum had to finally ban the fake id and warn the genuine id who was playing around.  Now he is no more active in the forum.  This is the sort of intelligence gathering which is required.  This is more serious than spamming.  I believe this is precise meaning of trolling as per my knowledge, correct me if i am wrong.

please check out the wiki meaning rolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns; the newsgroups members, if they are cognizant of trolls and other identity deceptions, attempt to both distinguish real from trolling postings, and upon judging a poster a troll, make the offending poster leave the group......

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@Umesh,

If you think any of the existing bloggers on IndiBlogger behaves this way, you can contact us (IndiPolice) or IndiTeam (Renie Ravin).

We will be able to do a trace and find out if anything of that sort happens or not. But just for your information, people can even fake the IP addresses by using a Proxy Server, so the only way to find out will be a through investigation on the way he posts his comments.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ Hemal i cannot be tracking many a bloggers in the forum, but as soon as i get a clue i shall definitely keep the indipolice and promoters informed.  I am keeping a tab on few whom i suspect.  This is much more serious than Plagiarism according to me, because it will drive out genuine bloggers from the forum.  Already one blogger has left in digust because of the treatment meted out.  It is only question of time that unitedly we attack this problem.....some checks and balances have to be devised pl do think of it......maybe making cell number and verification compulsory etc......it will weed out to a large extent fake ids.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I was just thinking of this suggestion as I was reading your reply. I am sure we should second this.

then again @umesh we never know if the person has someone else on the call. Smarter people do exist. But having said that, i am not saying we should not do it. I think this should be done.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Hemal my post alerting about fake ids prevalent in Indiblogger was not seriously at all, now you all realise how trolling, flaming, defaming, stalking, insulting can be adopted by one fake member creating 10 odd identities.  There are many more yet to be detected on the forum....pl start cleansing before it is too late.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@Umesh your post is taken seriously am sure. Coz I am doing it. @Animesh promtly said to me on the IndiChat that your fear has eventually come true. And I couldnt but agree coz we all saw this happen and bear the brunt.

Taking clue from yours and Mohd. Ibrahim's suggestions we came to knwo about the fake ids.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Mangal Pandey united ester India to fight the British Divide and Rule,

Saurav Ganguly mobilised a bunch of ordinary willow brand  ishing players,

Into a team of World Cup Winning bunch of Indian team,

Now Saurav Pandey has united Indibloggers against Plagiarism like never before.

Aditya Kumar Nayak
from New Delhi
12 years ago

Haha. True.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Into a team of world cup winning bunch of Indian team under Dhoni's leadership

umesh ji, your concerns are well founded. lets hope a new better beginning

Sujith
Sujith
from Kerala
12 years ago

In this virtual world IP screening can't be considered as a foolproof solution . I have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) account and no one can identify me from where I am browsing. Here the trust factor comes, we must be self disciplined and vigilant enough to identify the wolfs in sheep skin.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ Sujith i agree IP verification is not foolproof, but like duplicate submission verification on Indivine, some process can be developed to identify fake ids.  I know how much harm it can bring to the forum, since i had experienced the same in some other forum, which has lost its sheen, otherwise its name was literally on everybodys mouth.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Animesh you can do a wonderful CID work i suppose because you are on Inditalk, and plus you are active on the Forum.  I am sure you will be able to spot fake ids, all the best.  Well for me SP is a forgotton chapter, but his fake ids may crop up Lolz, that is where we have got to be vigilant.  Lolz

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Good alarm call Umeshji! As someone has pointed above that the method of tracking the IP's is not an entirely foolproof idea coz sometimes there may be more than what is meeting the eye, hence we should try and avoid being judgemental. I think it needs to be coupled with the manual observations and alertness by the IndiBlogger Members to ensure that we are nailing just the fake ids and not hurting the genuine one's in the process!

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

When you don t interact or respond to fake ids you can see how desperate they become, that is when they realise they are not wanted.  Recently if you have observed, how desperate a member is trying to seek attention of others, in collusion they tried to attack a senior member who is off the forum as of now. I hope indiblog management is aware of the dangers of fake ids taking over the forum, than genuine ids will vanish will become rarity.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yes, thats a good call... Dont respond to what you consider fake id and see the response, it will generally be agitative or will give a clue about the intentions of the person!!
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
And it is so sad to see genuine people leave the forum, the place becomes poorer without them...
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Arti good observation, first thing is better don t respond to suspected fake ids, secondly give a long rope and thirdly keep tracking till you get an evidence, such fakes should be trapped. Obviously we would not like to target genuine ids in the process. thanks for your take

+3

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Xeno i was expecting +5 Lolz

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Xeno is known to give much bigger numbers, why he gave only plus 3 is a mystery!!
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

well whatever number Xeno is giving will not make any difference Lolz ?  I was only pulling his leg.....did you check out mirchi

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ Arti + 10 for your googly

LockSign in to reply to this thread