How many of you do not blog for money?

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Many of the bloggers today seen to write for serach engines and not their readers. The blog is often with all that can give them money. Do you blog for money or personal happiness?

1-20
21-22
Replies 1 to 20 of 22 Descending
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I write for keeping a log of my travels, which will also help fellow travellers... Though I have enabled Google Adsense on my blog recently but I have not changed my writing style... I write for personal satisfaction and for my readers definitely.
Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Arti, your diary rocks:)

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

And I am really envious of your wonderful, witty writings Animesh :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Once the quality of posts is maintained and we do not bother much about earning, money automatically comes to us.

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

how much money are you expecting to make?  or have you already received your first cheque?

Do you get money per click or just for displaying?

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Not expecting much as the earnings have just entered double digits in about 2 months... Also you get the cheque once you reach 100 dollars (which is a long way off), though I am not sure... And also I dont know if we get anything for displaying ads only, but certainly for clicking we get something... And its not like I have filled my blog with ads, its just a small space in the sidebar where they are displayed...

Yeah same here as Ruhi. I like the feedback/appreciation/criticism. The fact that things which I write aren't being crammed between books in loose sheets of paper only to be lost, but are being read by people on the net, gives a lot of satisfaction.

I will never have adsense or any such ads on my blog. On an aesthetic point of view too, a blog looks better without ads in every nook and corner.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Talking about aesthicity a blog without ads fells much better. Alternately one can instaed write and e book and sell it on his own site. The aesthecity is preserved and one gets good income too.

irfanuddin
irfanuddin
from PATNA
12 years ago

it seems most of the people are Blogging here for self satisfaction...Good to know..... Laughing

Even i do for that.... the comments of my Blogeer frnds means a lot for me and very much appreciated..... but there is nothing wrong if one can get some money out of it, without compromising on anything..... Though i still don't know how to do that..... Laughing

Hope i have not brewed a debate here..... Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Comments erve a great source of inspiration for many and one need not think that blogging for money is mad. It is similar to the appreciation in the form of comments but here we are appreciated by Adsense or similar things.

Arun Prakash
Arun Prakash
from Coimbatore
12 years ago

I blog not for money making but for my satisfaction. My blog has become a good friend, itself.  Smile

I started blogging to enhance the reader's knowledge, make him smile, make aware of the world we live through what I experienced in life... There are few readers who just stumbled on to my blog and later became regular readers and then my friends. 

The satisfaction and happiness I get when someone comments on my posts and blog is something that can't be described in words.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Your avatar reveals all that you wish to say. You seem to aim to spread knowledge all around you.

Good work. Keep it up!

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago
I have not made a penny from blogging. Rather so much time that should be spent on work which would fetch promotions and bonuses is being spent blogging just for the love of writing. No one makes money from ad sense I think. My friends tell me not to give out my writings free. But first I want to be sure people really enjoy reading it for free before I think about publishing. Whats the use of a writing on a word file on your lap top and letting it gather dust for yeards in the remote hope that someday some publisher will buy it?
Blank Spaces
from New Delhi
12 years ago

@ The Fool, I agree completely. I've been writing more frequently ever since I've started blogging. Reviews are very helpful. But what irks me is that people leave comments only when they like something. It is seen as unethical to leave a negative comment, when I could really use some criticism. Even I don't leave negative comments on others blogs... :-/

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Ruhi, just write something controversial. It will get countered by someone or other.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Rumbaho While I accept the strategy stated by you to gain comments will gain good results. But at the same time the focus that we receive is temporary. People will definitely remember that post but not the craetive ahnd beside it.

Blank Spaces
from New Delhi
12 years ago

@Rumbaho... I cannot "create" a controversy... some of my views on political/economic issues attract discussions... but they r all issue based, focusing on content rather than finesse.

Sauvik
Sauvik
from Kolkata
12 years ago

well... blogging has been a way of giving company to myself. I write when i am sad. :-) So, in my case blogging is no way motivated by money. But it feels good when you r appreciated. But again, there's no harm, if it generates a couple of bucks for you. :)

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
12 years ago

I hear that.

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Hey, in your case, being sad would make you write more and ultimately that would make you rich. Then you would be happy with all the money. Then,because you have so much money, you wouldn't be sad anymore and would stop writing. Then you would spend all your money and become sad again. And start writing again... the cycle would continue indefinitely. Sad - Rich-Happy-Poor-Sad-Rich.....

I'll give you an idea. When you make some money, send it to me. That way you will always be sad and your blog will keep making ME some money. deal?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Rumbaho Who is the person that has told you that money brings happiness. Don't remember those famous lines:

Money can buy a cot but not sleep,

Money can buy books but not knowldege,

Money can buy everything but not happiness.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Sauvik I too am similar to you in one way. The inspiration behind a majority of my posts was my sorrow.

Aashish Sood
Aashish Sood
from Delhi
12 years ago

I dont blog for money... though had an adsense account and had enabled the ads earlier, now have disabled them as I feel that they are not what I blog for...

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I had taken down on the adverts for almost four years before putting them up again last month. I am earning enough to support my self hosted website. But I think, if you can make money from your hobby and love to do something, there is no harm.

Sauvik
from Kolkata
12 years ago

ture :)

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yup! Very right!

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Hemal You're right. The money that we earn can pay for the domain and hosting charges. having a domain name makes a blog look more professional and many people will be interested in reading it.

Yash Bhatia
Yash Bhatia
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Me!I write to amaze my readers with some new unheard-of technology. I don't understand why people have to earn from something they love doing as a hobby.But, to each his own! Laughing

Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
12 years ago

Not all writers consider writing a hobby. It just depends where you are in your blogging journey, what you hope to achieve with your effort, what is the purpose of your blog etc. etc. :-)

Neeta Madiraju
Neeta Madiraju
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Me writes for personal happiness.

I also read the blogs of others, understand how they write, try to improve my skills. This helps me personally Smile

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yep, Reading others blogs gives a lot of happiness too and we get to learn a lot of things as well!
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

There are many new newbies here since the past few days. Throwing the discussion open to them. Digging out the discussion from the heap.  Smile

Poorvi Shrivastav
Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I am writing since 2006, that time I was doing my B.Tech and money was never in picture. Now I am earning well, better than most working for IT companies but with this earning has come a sense of support for the social causes. I work for a lot of NGOs part time and 2 NGOs regularly on weekends. Other than that donations whenever possible. These activities require big money, and if Blogging can give me something extra bucks than its possible for me to spend that extra. I try getting money through other things apart from blogging such as holding camps and doing part time classes. And I dont feel bad about all this because at the end it goes to the people who need it the most.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Poorvi Hats off to the social responsibility in you!

Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

@Ranjit : Haha , you can join anytime Laughing

Anukriti Sharma
Anukriti Sharma
from Hartford
12 years ago

I blog beacause writing soothes me... I write whatever is close to my heart... My blog as it is is a very non-commercial, personal sort of a blog...Many people have actually suggested that i should sign up for Adsense or write on articles which can fetch huge number of hits... But I believe writing is an integral part of me and all of us... it should not be tarnished with profit-making strategies...

Ads I feel make the blog look cluttered and the essence is lost... I personally would not blog for money... Though I do not feel it is wrong or morally debasing or something... If someone feels it is good for him/her there is nothing bad in it...Its perspective you know, may vary from person to person.. :)

well said Anukriti ji,

my feeling is that when the amount is meagre it doesn't strike the mind, but say , there are people who left lucrative jobs and are relaxing with laptops in front of taj etc. and their whole bread and butter comes from that only.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Oh yeah btw. There are many agencies out there which promises clients "discretely" that they have bloggers of high repute who are ready to do positive PR BS for you. They will not say who their clients are unless you sign some papers. Even if you come to know companies can easily deny it because they are not the company's PR- just people who are hired unofficially in a way you cant track it back to them. Few PR agencies have grown to a level that they have their own office in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore- so you can imagine how many unethical writers we have.

Writing for money is not bad. But writing an article filled with whitewash despite the facts at hand just to earn money is wrong. I wanted to be a writer but I didnt get a job anywhere. So I taken up putting up reviews on tech forums and later on blogs. Then it caught few attention. This is what blogging done for me and I am ready to do it full time with full dedication and resources provided it takes care of my lifestyle.

well said Sorcerer bro, 

R-A-J
R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Well, Google hs deactivated my Adsense account cos of my blog name :)

So even if I wanna blog fr money, I can't :)

mite need to start another blog fr dat... but I'm quite attached to this blog name n I hv nt really thought bout another blog :)

I blog cos usually when I speak, nobody litens to me - when I blog, at least somebody does :D

ha ha! better choose a simpler name this time! Laughing

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ RAJ What made you choose that peculiar name which anyone would frown at? Why don't you shift your blog onto a different subdomain?

R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

interestingly, i even hv a post as 2 y i named it so :)

but i liked the blogname fr the fact ppl react to it..of course, it been mostly a negetive reaction..but a reaction nevertheless :)

But besides the 'negetivity' in the name, I'd say the content is far frm it :)

forgive my non tech self but how do I change the subdomain? :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ RAJ If you would like to change it you can do it in this way

Go to Settings>> Publishing

Type a new address. Enter the captcha and click Save

WARNING: After changing your blog address in the above way, when someone visits your old blog address http://fu-ck-lo-ve.blogspot.com they will receive a message 'Blog not found' You cannot redirect them to your new blog. All the backinks that you have accumulated will be lost. So, it is better not to change it unless you are too much bothered about the name.

R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Thanks Ranjith, that is very helpful..really appreciate mate..lemme check it out :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ RAJ Thank you. Hope that you have read that WARNING carefully.

Aditi Chakravorty
Aditi Chakravorty
from Pune
12 years ago

Hi All,

I am looking at creative bloggers to write part time for a business blog, and get paid!

please read http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=8623

Thanks,

Aditi

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Stop hijacking threads, man. Follow netetiquettes.

Sulagna Dasgupta
Sulagna Dasgupta
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I think blogging for money is not necessarily a bad thing. If you have monetizing your blog as your goal you'll be 100% committed to your blog. That way you'll be a much more responsible blogger and would make a much better contribution to the blogosphere. 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

If one has his blog as the only source of blogging, the quality of blogging will definitely improve. But still, something in my heart says that the other way is much more true. Quality blogging makes one think of his blog to be  aprimary source of income.

SunKau
SunKau
from Chennai
12 years ago

I have been blogging for a li'l over two months now. And well,when i started it was only for fun. But then i managed 10k+ hits in two months ! And got really good reviews and ppl encouraged me to start my own site. Now my mindset has changed,i want to start earning thru my blog. I know it's wayy to early to think about earning but given the amount of time i should be able to.

Actualy,it's not I,but it's a we. We r a grp of frnds who wanted to hav fun but apparently v r very good and as a result v even have our own FB fan page !

http://badabingbadabambadaboom.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/un-written-rules-in-indian-engineering-universities/ is the link ! Lemme know if you like it ! And if u want to write for us , u can mail us !

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

A hobby turning into an income generator! Good

Alia
Alia
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I don't blog for money!

I just blog for myself and my readers! :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I'm glad to see that you care about your readers a lot.

Arvindh
Arvindh
from Chennai
12 years ago

I started writing about a year back and money was never my goal. I wanted to create something that exists in the outside world, somthing that will define me, something I can look at and say "That is my creation", as a communication channel between the invisible readers and myself. The intention with which I started this blog to enable readers to see an entirely enw perspective of issues. I hope to use this as a medium to enhance my writing skills as well. This blog actually forces me to adopt new ways to convey a point and to search for hidden perspectives in any issue. I find it quite interesting and challenging.. Above all.. I love writing. Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Searching for the inner self....

genobz
genobz
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I blog for myself but not necessarily what the readers maybe looking for.

I usually blog to present my opinion on something and to have a discussion on the same with my readers.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Blogging for yourself! Great! That is what I too do (most of the times)

1-20
21-22
LockSign in to reply to this thread