Help needed in blogger widgets

Rahul Malhotra
Rahul Malhotra
from Noida
12 years ago

Hello fellow Indibloggers, I need some help in my blog design. My blog basically is about gaming tips and tricks taking into account as many games as I can. I need some help with the widgets in my blog. Can you people suggest me few widgets which I can put in my blog design to make it look better than what it is now? Any help would be really appreciated.Thanks in advance Laughing 

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Widgets should be used cautiously. You should know if you really need a widget.

A Follower widget is nice to have. Feedjit or other hit stats widgets are such a waste. You dont need to boast of visits at the cost of the extra loading time.

Recent comments can be one, Top posts (by comments or by views) can be another. If you wish to place advertisments, be careful of not using too many of the widgets as these can cause heavy page loads and may annoy users.

Rahul Malhotra
from Noida
12 years ago

I have added 2 follower widgets (1 the basic follower widget provided by blogger and the other from "Networked blogs"). I have added a 1 revolver map widget and a flag counter visit widget to get more number of people initially..after sometime when my blog gets established I would remove the following widgets and add other useful widgets.

I still have to add the Recent comments and Top post wigdet(thanks for suggesting :) ). Advertisments are yet to be placed on my blog and if I add any ads in future, I would keep your suggestion in mind.Thank you so much Hemal for taking time and helping me out Laughing 

Pundit Commentator
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
12 years ago

Hi Rahul,

Besides the widgets Hemal recommends, make sure you have a blog archive and categories very prominently displayed.

If you're trying to build a community, make sure you acknowledge your readers with a recent comments widget. If not, you don't need it.

You and your readers are the best judge of what widgets you need for the kind of site you are building.

Rahul Malhotra
from Noida
12 years ago

Hello,

I have added a blog archive widget. I think the recent comments widget is a must for my blog as so many people have already suggested me to put on my blog(Thanks).Initially I would add few extra widgets*except for the recommended ones) and would change them (if the readers don't like it).Thank you very much! Smile

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Some of the widgets which are necessary are an email subscription widget, a search button. Also as mentioned above popular posts and archives are some of my favorite widgets!! Use them wisely, the side bar should not get cluttered!!
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
12 years ago

Yes! Even if I don't use it, it comforts me to see the search button on blogs.

Rahul Malhotra
from Noida
12 years ago

I added the Email subscription widget just few days back Laughing and the search button is carefully put towards the right hand top corner above the blog posts so as to provide a more accessible search widget for the users. Thank you so much Smile

I think for your blog WikiGaming...

Both the revolver maps and WikiCountries are of no use to the user. Although I feel that the time gadget is useless, if you still want to keep it, change the placement. And you've got to do something about the right sidebar recent posts widget because due to the font color, i can't read it. You should consider adding a few pages like "What is WikiGaming?" or "About Us". And try to group things like all kinds of following widgets(FB, GoogleFriend Connect, Networked blogs) should be in one group and other navigation widgets like categories, and recent posts should also be grouped together.

Thats all. Smile

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yes categorisation of similar widgets is important.
Rahul Malhotra
from Noida
12 years ago

Yup! I was too ignorant to realize that till now...thanks to you guys that I have some unfinished work in my blog design :D Thank you :D

Rahul Malhotra
Rahul Malhotra
from Noida
12 years ago

Hi Xeno,

I know they are of no good use to anyone..the readers or me Tongue out...I just added them so as to give a jumpstart to the blog's readers initially as people might get attracted if they see the blog is getting some hits....and gradually as I gain more readers I would remove these widgets. The Recent posts widget is one my prior concerns as many of my readers have already complained  me about the wigdets font color. I still have to find the bug in coding which is giving the "black" color to the font. Your suggestion for adding pages like "What is WikiGaming?" or "About Us" is I think one of the best suggestions I have got till now Laughing (Thank you). Your suggestion for groupin things is also very useful I think.Thank you so much for taking time and suggesting me some awesome tips. 
Rahul Malhotra
Rahul Malhotra
from Noida
12 years ago

Thank you everyone who has replied till now and suggested me some awesome widgets. I really appreciate your concern. Thank you Smile

LockSign in to reply to this thread