How important is the design of a blog?

Aditya Kumar Nayak
Aditya Kumar Nayak
from New Delhi
12 years ago

When do you visit a blog, how much importance do you give to the blog design? 

As in if a blog is ill designed, does it turn you away? or does a good designed blog make you want to subscribe?

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
Pundit Commentator
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
12 years ago

This article and my comments below the article covers all you need to know. http://www.incrediblogger.net/blogging/significance-visual-appearance-blog/

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

A blog that has a good design definitely attracts me but more than that I would like to have some other things: speed and easy readability (sufficient font size and colours that do not strain the eys) I can read a blog that has nothing but a white background and blcak coloured text on it if it has the above mentioned qualities. That is the best design, according to me.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Very good topic Aditya!

Yes, blog design does matter a lot to me. After all, that's the first thing that we see on hitting a web page. Its just like the first impression, if I am having difficulties in navigation and stuff like reading fonts etc, I may or may not read the matter and just choose to leave the page!

On the other hand, If i do happen to read the matter and I like it, then the blog design, irrespective of whether its good or bad, does become a secondary thing!

For a good designed blog, the chances of me reading the matter multiplies manifold but the decision of subscription is based on the matter only.

coolantz
coolantz
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I suppose initial attraction does matter. However, if I get hooked on to the content, then all the design problems would seem secondry. Also, I like to aggregate feeds from the blogs I like and read them on google reader .... so, that's just me :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Initial attraction doesn't matter much for a very few people but for many others, they need to be chained to our site until they get to know how good a site is. After that, we can unchain them. At that point, design does not matter.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I believe blog design becomes secondary once you like to follow a blogger, secondly comments column if not available or if it is too slow, it puts off. Loading of the blog too is important in days of pre paid net connectivity. For those who have unlimited net connectivity, this is not an issue.
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Finally if there is no reciprocation from a particular blogger despite our repeated voting and comment, than it is no no visit for me, i stop visiting the blog however good it is Lolz.  After all you are part of promotion and if you are let down, give and take should be motto

Rumbaho.com
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I would say that it is important for two reasons:

1. To keep the visitor from closing the window after one glance.

2. To keep the reader interested enough to actually start reading at least one post.

Beyond the two points above, the content takes over.

Though I have just barely started blogging, I spend a lot of time on the internet. I find the the best designs are the ones which do not distract a viewer from the content and also are appealing (yet simple) enough to make a visitor into a reader.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Well said Rocky Singh

LockSign in to reply to this thread