Which is the safest browser ?

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Earlier i was given to understand that IE browser is unsafe, i went in for Mozilla firefox, i found that it automatically updates, so no for me, next i tried Google Chrome, after i installed along with a virus bloodhound got embedded into the system.  So finally i am to square one IE from microsoft, wherein i can block cookies.  The no of cookies which automatically crop up unless blocked will scan all info, any more info guys ?

Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Descending
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

IE has 80% market share in the internet space, many bloggers are not bothered about the browser capability. 

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago
When i clicked Pramod Lohia's site myliking, a cookie from techlunatic came on i stopped it i am unable to visit his site....strange
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Not a tech person so this is a mystery to me:-o
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

What is the harm in allowing cookied that do not possess much threat. There is an option in IE that allows only safe cookies, think.

Aditya Kumar Nayak
from New Delhi
12 years ago

You can try 'Epic'. Its a borwser built specifically for India by a banglore firm and it has a built in antivirus.

Also, it is built on firefox platform but it is faster and all addons work on it. 

http://www.adityakumarnayak.com/2010/epic-browser-starting-culture-of/

Here is how you can turn of auto updates for firsfox and epic

http://www.technipages.com/enabledisable-automatic-updates-in-firefox.html 

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I use Mozilla Firefox, it does not update automatically... There must be an option to disable the automatic updates... I also use chrome sometimes, it is good too!!
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ arti you will never know that Mozilla has update, it all happens in split seconds....i have check out

yeah I use mozilla too. It has auto updates. One fine morning i wake up and log into the internet and it tells me about "Whats new"  so...

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I use IE but i do not know how safe it is. Moreover, safety doesn't matter a lot to me because I don't store any details on my computers that might pose a problem if leked via the cookies that you have stated.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Ranjith as far as i know everything is screened via cookie particularly your mail box than you get unsolicited mails.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I receive many spam e mails around 200 every week. I though that the mistake was mine. I used to give my e mail ID at a number of places. But thanks to the spam filters in Yahoo mail, they do most of the work for me.

Sujith
Sujith
from Kerala
12 years ago

IE 6 was the worst ever browser in terms of security, but the recent versions of IE are OK, but speed and other features still miles to go. Mozilla FF is good but will take more memory and CPU resources. Chrome is a perfect balance in terms of speed, security and flexibility. Why to block cookies? Cookies are not dangerous. With disabled cookies you may not be able to surf many sites. Install a good anti spyware software, it will block and remove cookies stealing viruses and sites.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

The perfect solution regarding cookies

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Ya a good anti spyware is a must...
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

IE 7 seems to be perfect browser, of course i allow some cookies if it is from safe sites such as youtube, google, and yahoo.  Norton antivirus is installed

Sujith
from Kerala
12 years ago

If you are using Norton internet security (2010, 2011 etc) Then no need of any other applications. I've been using Norton for years. Fully satisfied and worth for money.

abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

I use chrome and firefox 4 . Both are pretty good and have their own advantages. Also, like Sujithji said Chrome takes lesser memory resources so its preferable if you have less memory config in pc . :)

Poorvi Shrivastav
Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Guys please spare Microsoft some credit, so for me IE9 is totally awesome experience(although I am still on Beta).

But I like Safari too, try Safari if you havent already.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Let me try Safari, seems to be a cool one.

I tried Safari. I use it as a secondary browser so that in case something doesn't open in Firefox, I don't have to think about using the default IE.

I like the clean and neat look of Safari.

Vinesh Balan
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Chrome all the way! Give it a try :D 

Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

@Vineet - I did , I dont like the UI for one and the other thing is that it has some issues on WIn 7 which I saw. For me IE works most of the time versions >7 .. come on Dude I am a Microsoftian all the way :)

R-A-J
R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I'm a google chromer all the way... but great suggestions fr a tech-phobic like me :D

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

thanks for the suggestion RAJ, but i don t know how i got the virus embedded along with chrome, if i delete it that virus too will vanish

If you're completely dumb about anything related to "tech" and "software" i guess Google chrome is best for you. Cool

For me its Firefox all the way. Yes it does use up a lot of memory and has a lot of issues sometimes as well (which are looked after in updates). But it has a large app library (or add-on as you may call it) which I can not live without. It has such a lot of useful apps!

Moreover it has hundreds of wonderful themes. I love firefox. And i'll be sticking with it for a long time. Laughing

And yes, IE officially sucks. I hate IE. It is not safe, nor user-friendly, .. it is good for nothing in fact. Smile

Vinesh Balan
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Agreed, Im using a variant of Chrome called Rockmelt, which integrates Chrome with Facebook and Twitter(All I need :D).

But as Xeno said, if you are deep into stuff - Firefox!

Do try Rockmelt :D Best Social Browser!!!

hmm./.. lets see. I've got to try Rockmelt if you say so.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

For me IE is no 1 and later G chrome and Firfox

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I am downloading safari, let us hope i don t get drowned in the mele Lolz
Nikhil
Nikhil
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Google Chrome for Sure :)

A perfect blend of speed and Security.

Safari - Good GUI, slow as compared to Chrome and FF, Less Addons etc. 

Just my two cents :)

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

thanks Nikhil for confirmation, when i use blogger i prefer Google chrome

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I hardly use IE. Its only used to check it the webpages that are designed work fine on IE. Its never an option. Even IE 9 is not that better than Firefox or Chrome as far as I am concerned.

Today IE is loosing its market share to Chrome and Firefox big way. The other browsers that are in the fray are Opera and Apple's Safari.

Whenever am at work, Safari does not turn out to be the better browser for me but its entriely opposite at home. Dont know why that happens. It takes time to load pages at office but the same pages take no time at all at home.

Safari, Chrome and Firefox hoggs resources. With Chrome, since each tab and each window is a new process (see task manager on your machine) the effect is nullified as more processing power is allocated to the active tab or window. And hence, it appears and works faster as compared to Firefox or Safari.

Safari is heavier browser of the lot. If usage is clubbed with Flash player (Youtube etc.) required websties, you might face issues, slow browsing etc. And if you have not upgraded to the lastest version already, then there are more chances that a bug in Safari hoggs your processor to no end, forcing your pc/laptop to shutdown automatically.

The new Firefox (FF4) layout is much elegant as compared to Chrome and safari. Safari, still neat, Opera works wonders.

Of all the browsers that I have mentioned, Opera is the most advanced browser with an inbuilt Mail client, vast Add-ons, developer friendly, strong privacy controls, Mouse Gestures (been a forte with Opera), Turbo mode (for those whose Broadband connectivity is slow, opera compresses pages at its server and sends you a lighter page) and more support for HTML5, the upcoming language of the WEB.

Javascript Engine

It has to do a lot how your pages load. The JS engine in your browser now enables more aggressive Javascrips to make your web experience much smoother. As of now, Opera's Chakran engine and Safari's Nitro are the fastest JS Engine.

I dont know if all of you here know about Opera as I did not see anyone mentioning it. Trust me, once you get used to it, you will be an Opera fan. I use mouse gestures to go back and forward from one page to another, or open a new tab - just for fun.

Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Hey however much I agree on other points , I cannot accept IE is bad in terms of any criteria be it agility or performance. I am dogfooding it right now and I am actually minutely testing the stats of the browsers. Trust me it works fine.

I have used Opera but that was way back in 2007-08 Smile

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Oh and btw, the safest browser is yet to come, but by far Opera will be a safer browser for some time to come, because its still not heavily used, JS loopholes are quickly fixed etc.

Other browsers are safer too. Be wary about ur usage on Chrome, coz Google catches it all. Your usage information is relayed to Google in real time on the Omini / Aweseome bar to search on Chrome. And even if you are typing an URL, the search engine will come to know. So its really a Catch-22 situation on Chrome. I only use Chrome for my GMAIL.

FF4 has done away with it. Opera offers an option if you wish to search, which it throws up your bookmarks as you search, as same as Firefox 4.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@Poorvi IE9 is a welcome change, and yes, much likeable. But on my Win7 pro, I am still not able to justify its presence as against FF4, Chrome, or Opera.

Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Hemal : try WIn Phone 7 and you will be able to justify IE9 better than on a deski or Lapi Laughing

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@Poorvi ahh.. that is a different ball game girl..

LockSign in to reply to this thread