Votes or Content???..

Bilna Sandeep
Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

Hey guys!!!

Well dont you all think the voting system for the blog posts could actually make someone who doesnt deserve win the contests???

The urge to get votes are increasing so much that I myself sometimes have done so much of means to get people vote for my posts!! Atleast when it comes to contests dont you think instead of votes and likes some independent panel of judges are needed???

well i know its a tough world!! but just a thought to it!! hey fellow bloggers please share your views!!! maybe we could come up with a better system!!

Its a atleast good that the latest contest says votes dont matter!! hope they really dont!! Laughing well again "Likes" do matter..

So what say blogger????

Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Descending
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
My personal experience says that if they have said that votes dont matter then, they will not... Even a post with minimal votes can who the contest... In the Cleartrip My Purpose contest too votes did not matter, people whose posts were on the 100 page won some prizes... Ideally the judges should read each single entry, rate them according to them and not get influenced by votes....
Well said Arti Ji
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Typo *who=win

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Thanks Pramod Ji

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

That's right!

Somebody Somewhere
from Kolkata
12 years ago

Unlikely.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@SS Why?
Somebody Somewhere
from Kolkata
12 years ago

Well for starters, most of this is about getting attention. Brand image. You dont make those without votes.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
But an independent panel of judges will decide the winners irrespective of the votes a post has garnered...
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ SS The starter will realise the truth later on.

Somebody Somewhere
from Kolkata
12 years ago

Well, Winning, wining, who cares. I enjoyed writing my piece. Peace.

Manjulika Pramod
from Delhi
12 years ago

Totally, i agree....

i have noticed so many times good posts dont get the deserved promotions but they deserve to win.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
May the best and most deserving post win... But then we have different perceptions and what I like may not be liked by you or the judges so....
Bilna Sandeep
Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

yes Arti!! that means things are gona be better soon Laughing when the "votes dont matter" it inspires the bloggers to write better with more confidence!!

hope all the future contests go this way without being influenced by the "votes" 

Manjulika Pramod
from Delhi
12 years ago

Acctually  when someone reads ur article and appreciates rather than just a like or random promotion., it makes one feels great and gives u a boost to do better.

Bilna Sandeep
Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

however its a good inspiration for a blogger to see their posts on top of the most popular category!! right????

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yes you are absolutely right... Actually our minds are preconditioned to work in that way. Aaccepting the reality that votes really dont matter is almost impossible for usInnocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

That is right. But not all bloggers have the talent to publicise their articles in the right way.

It surely boosts morale

I agree with you guys. Votes may not always be the right criteria to judge a winning entry. I personally know several who resort to ingenious tactics for building a vote bank. :D I am not saying they shouldn't do so - it sure builds to the spice and the involvement - but then the judges should in no way assume the highest voted entry is the best.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
You are right Deboshree, the judges should not hesitate to give the first prize to someone who has zero votes if they think that it was the best according to them!!! They must turn a blind eye to the number of votes received...
Bilna Sandeep
Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

exactly!! votes do add up to the spice of it and making the forum active!! but when it comes to the winning entries it should be toatlly independent and not based on votes or our activity on the network!! 

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The "content matters" that's it! Good Content only is the final winner :)

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Cindrella You can use the reply button to reply to individual comments:):)
Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

thanx Arti :) i am not very good with the forum yet!! very much new here Laughing

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Happens with everyone:) not a problem at all:)
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

The majority of the prizes are being given for content. The votes are simply to spread the word about the contest around teh blogosphere.

Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

Thats good Ranjith Laughing Votes do spread the word about the contest!! And lots of people get to know about it!! 

And in a way it inspires the blogger too..dont you think so?? it would be an encouragement each time our entry gets a vote!! though its sad that at times people do vote without reading Frown i would prefer reading voting and commenting all at a time Laughing That could be a genuine vote then!! though i dont comment for all the posts i read...but when i see some posts extremely good i make sure i comment as well as vote.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Sure the votes do inspire people...
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Ranjith Yes the likes do help to spread the word around...
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ CINDRELLA One needs to learn from you. many people seem to simply vote for IndiVine posts without reading them. This activity attracts the new bloggers easily as a mail is sent out by default every time a vote is given to a users post. I think that changing the default e mail subscriptions will reduce teh problem to a certain extent.

Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

can cutting out the default mail subsciptions be the solution for it??? i see that as a motivation Laughing everytime i get a mail saying someone has vote for me (be it by reading or without reading it ) to be frank that brings a Smile on my face...atleast we know people are noticing the posts we made nah???

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

One thing that can be done to ensure that the judges are not influenced by teh number of votes is to hide those stats from them and allow them to view nothing else except the entry.

Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago
now thats a good idea when it comes to the final judgement stage of the contest!!
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Excellent idea Ranjith:)
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Arti Thank you

Vineet Rajan
Vineet Rajan
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Hi Everyone, The contest is judged by the Yahoo Editorial board, and the votes would have no consideration whatsoever. Each and every entry, would be reviewed and read whether it has one vote or a 100. 

Blog away! Votes really don't matter! 

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thanks for that info Vineet.
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Entries being reviewed by people not related to indiBlogger is an added advantage. In this way it can be ensured that the decision is not influenced by previous contest winners or the bloggers popularity in indiBlogger

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Plus 1 Ranjith.
Manjulika Pramod
from Delhi
12 years ago

Nice!!

Anukriti Sharma
Anukriti Sharma
from Hartford
12 years ago

Hey people,

Well what i feel is that Facebook likes is okay till it promotes the brand/products and gives a chance to non-bloggers to vote. But I think that Editors should not decide the People's Choice solely on the basis of FB votes... On Facebook A person who has 1000+ friends (or more) will definitely get an edge over the others (he/she can ovbiously ask/convince his/her FB friends to vote on indivine FB "Like"- wherein atleast 200 would def. vote - family/close friends etc). On the other hand a person who keeps a low profile on FB is bound to get very few votes... I think the Editors should have an upper hand in deciding the final verdict... What I feel is that they definitely will have an upper hand... wat say?

It has already been said indivine popularity will not be taken into consideration... so I think everyone does have a fair chance Smile

Btw, read some amazing articles on beauty and I must say m impressed with the kind of entries that have come for this competition... I esp loved the writings of Cinderella, Deboshree, Rekha, arti, amit, pratyush, amar jajoo, aneek, vikram karve, rajtilak to mention a few Smile

All the best for the contest n keep the beautiful writings flowing in Smile

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Oh! Thank you Anukriti for the mention! That is inspiring :) I loved yours too and so many more!

Everyone here has such a fresh perception and such a beautiful vision on the subject! This contest has bought a unique feeling of oneness among bloggers here and I am really thrilled, excited and very happy to be a part of this contest! Thanks Indiblogger for giving us a chance to unite on this platform with our different views on real beauty Smile

Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

Thank You very much Anukriti Laughing

yes you are right about the FB likes!! the ones having more friends on FB can easily convince to get more Likes!!! I too feel all the prizes must be based on an independent panel without taking into account the number of hearts and likes!!

Loved your post too Anukriti!! There are so many good posts coming in this section for Real Beauty!! and more than the contest..this topic brought in different perspectives on beauty and many of them have been put so wonderfully!! i am tryin to read most of the articles though i havent yet read all!! Every article i read is bringing in a very new rhythm of Beauty!!

Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

@Anukriti..Hey thanks so much..Good to see I'm being mentioned! Even I loved your post! :)..Yes..The fact that Indivine popularity will not play a role in the contest does give fair chance! It's not even a month now since I've joined Indiblogger! But so far it's the most amazing experience..Getting my work read by so many people and also learning so much from people! For instance I never used to give Image credits..But now I now it's important..All thanks to people here :)..I've come across photo blogs..I loved Joshi daniels wok! I have come across Travel blogs..Arti's blog is my favorite! So you see there's so much diversity here and it's all marvellous! :)

And about the contest..There are really some outstanding posts over there! I'm loving this contest! Whoever and may the best man win, but one thing is for sure..It's really bringing the best outta everybody!:)

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

WOW! 2 mentions back to back! Am feeling lucky :D 

Thanks a lot Amar, I loved your post too! It is very touching... Written with a lot of heart, it connected instantly! Keep up the good work, All the Best :)

I also loved reading so so many more posts out there, Good Luck to everyone participating! :)

Sulagna Dasgupta
Sulagna Dasgupta
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Dekho the ultimate objective is always to make your blog popular, drive traffic to your blog, not get some prizes or votes. If someone is immature enough to concentrate more on votes and less on creating real traffic pulling material then they'll get the votes not the traffic, in the long run. 

Arbitrage opportunities don't exist. :D

Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I so agree with you Sulagna :) its about traffic and writing , about your escape to the world you want to make and your meeting with harsh realities in life, about your love and your wishes at the end.

I liked a lot of posts for this contest and voted only for the ones I liked. But strange thing is normally I see vote policy as a reciprocative behavior 'You give me an A , I give it back to you'. This hurts some time because as per me people should read the content first hand before clicking the vote button :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Yes, driving traffic to your blogs is the primary purpose of participating in such contests. I  had seen an increase in the pageviews on the first two or three days after I have posted my entry. But at the same time, one needs to accept that the traffic will be evn more if teh number of votes are high, since in that case the entry will be distinctly visible.

Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

well i would say Genuine traffic!!! lately my page views had increased and i was wondering so many ppl reading my blog???Undecided and then checking the traffic source i found out it was all for one article that had pictures of rain!! Frown through google image search!!!

well thats not we bloggers need rite!!! i need people who would actually come and read my posts..appreciate the good and suggests me on the wrong sides and help me improve!!!

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ CINDRELLA I too receive considerable traffic from Google Images. But it is not much useful because many people while searching for images, click the linked named 'See full image' and do not even have  alook at our site. Frown

LockSign in to reply to this thread