Likes via wrong means?

Amar Ashok Jajoo
Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

What if someone is using some wrong means for increasing the facebook likes in the contest to win the people's choice award? Is there anyway that this practice can be identified?

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Anukriti Sharma
Anukriti Sharma
from Hartford
12 years ago

+1

Well I agree... there should be some other criteria as well... Facebook likes should be taken into consideration but only to a certain extent-say 30%... rest i think should be decided by the jury/editorial board. It is also not encouraging for people with no facebook accounts... One of our most loved and appreciated blogger for example-Arti is not a member of facebook n she has therefore not got enough likes whereas others whose writing isn't as good as hers have got a lot more FB likes... the criteria must be judged by the Editorial team so that the judgement is fair n i m sure they will do a commendable job :)

Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

Well a lot cannot be changed now..But I hope if somebody is doing a wrong thing for the same..it is noticed in a proper manner! Yeah I really agree with the fact about it's not encouraging for people with no facebook accounts!

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
You know I wasnt even going to participate in this contest, and thats not because of not having FB account or anything but because my blogs niche is travel. Inspired by all the enthusiasm here, I decided to join in albeit one day late but I am so glad I did. I have met some wonderful bloggers like you, I have felt the positivity of togetherness and a spirit that helps us grow not only as a blogger but a person as well. I believe FB promotions have a big role to play in Yahoo people's marketing strategies and they cant change it for a handful of people like me. But then I really dont care. They have more than made up for it by providing a heap of other content based prizes too. And I really appreciate that. Lastly, I would like to thank everyone here for all the love and appreciation.. I already feel like a winner.... Yes winning and prizes also do matter but its only secondary, Really! The fun has been tremendous here!
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Anukriti What is that 30% thing stated ? Did not get it.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Arti Glad to hear that you were inspired by other IndiBloggers.

Anukriti Sharma
from Hartford
12 years ago

By 30% i meant

30% based on FB Likes/indivine promotions etc

70% based on content and choice of fellow bloggers (genuine choice that is)

Poorvi Shrivastav
Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I strongly support this, primary reason being the Likes have no connection with your posts. People wont even read them before Liking. Reading and then Liking is another thing. But I think the editorial team will take care about this, is this the only criteria for People's award? It makes sense when your Likes and your Indivines votes are atleast closely related but its a starking shock when you see 2000 Likes and less than 20 votes or something .. not sure but this is how I feel ..Cry

Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

I agree! People won't even read! But yes I would still give it a pass if I know the likes are not by any wrong means! This came into my mind after I thought about the same thing you've written later! Likes unrealistically higher as compared to Indivine votes! But then again sometimes I feel the way you do! Not sure bout the way I feel! Frown

you should rejoice poorvi ji, its the toughest thing to get fb likes. I had to explain to my sons to get their likes, and grudgingly they liked it. right now I see you are heading a straight people's choice win, 

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yes Poorvi, your 'Fb like' number is amazing! Congrats, Good luck:-)
Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Hehe no Pramod Ji I work in a big corporate where many people do help each other with these things + I have a huge social network , but no I am not the one for awards there are some who have got more than 1000 Likes , I cant even try that much , not a huge fan following for me Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Poorvi I wish to mention something about those figures 20 and 2000. A few IndiBloggers too resort to those acts. Frown

Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

@Ranjit : Didnt get it , do you know someone ?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Poorvi Seems that you have a large fan base on facebook!

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Poorvi I don't know anyone on IndiBlogger who resorts to such acts on IndiBlogger. But I once read on the forum that one particular memmber had seen that teh likes were much greater in number than the visits recorded on his blog. That naturally menas that there are a few people like that too.

Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Mentioned already yaar , I work for a huge company and we have reading clubs so it made things easy for me. However beyond a limit I cant try and force anyone :)

I asked my Boss to read and if he Likes it to go ahead and he gave me two extra modules to code and i did not even realize it, funny part : I am still waiting for his Like Innocent .. Yell

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ poorvi All the best for the 'like' from your boss. And all the best for the contest too.

Poorvi Ji , i thought yours were highest likes, but 1000 likes is mind boggling. My group of ex students is great but everybody to himself.
Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Pramod Ji, 1000 NOoo.. I saw 2000. It really needs effort and time to have 2000 Likes. Kudos.

Anukriti Sharma
Anukriti Sharma
from Hartford
12 years ago

It is shocking!

Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

More than somebody can imagine!

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Seems that you haven't seen the darker side of web promotion. Things move on in this way.

Anukriti Sharma
from Hartford
12 years ago

well now I know and understand what it is all about!

my point is that the management and the company, which is showering prizes , also desires some publicity, which is  rightfully acceptable and there is no point to deprive them of that. there are ample prizes on written excellence. now let the persons who have communication skills spread the word to all corners of the world. and be rewarded thus. community too grows with more people coming to know of it.

the more the community grows ,prize amount too will be getting bigger and bigger, say 1 cr.

we should learn from them and try initiatives to match them. one facebook like gives publicity  to all his connected friends and this is one of the best medium of publicity. people are giving h.d.camcorders etc. to 200th liker of their page, etc.etc.

cheers!

Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

Sir..Their's no publicity if these likes are not by genuine accounts! I agree that one facebook likes makes people connected to the person who liked the link know about Indiblogger but if you're telling me that if someone is giving Camcorders or something to the 200th person who liked it, I think the whole purpose is lost! That's not a good thing anyway. Publicity can surely be one of the motives , but the basic motive remains the same - To bring out the best in people!

You have a point there Amar Ji , I'd with no friends at all should not be considered at all
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Accept with you. The contest aims to reward too different types of people: the ones talented in writing and the ones talented in influencing people. In fact promotion is an integral part of blogging.

R-A-J
R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I dont really think a person cn get so many fb likes without coaxing... n I kinda agree wid u tht it aint the rite way out but thts whn u (n me) look frm purely an awards perspective..

Think of it frm a Dove-Yahoo perspective - so many ppl across India r popularisin the real beauty concept on fb simultaneously n the buzz n awareness it generates is amazing...I hd sum of my fb friends quite curious bout the number of likes fr these posts on my wall (my max 'likes' I get otherwise is bout 6-7 :)) n they went thru it n nw they're aware of the contest, brands n the theme.

So as much as I agree with u tht this award is purely a function of ur network push, guess we shud b happy tht thr r so many other prizes which r nt so :)

What say? :)

Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

I agree it's giving Dove-Yahoo a kind of publicity which is wild-fire, via the internet! This system also introduced me as a blogger to many of my friends who never knew that i blog when i told them to read and like it! Guess however wrong it may be, I guess we've no choice but accept somebody as a winner if somebody does that by cheating!

Yes! We should be really happy with the fact that there are other prizes too that too the editorial ones! Thank Indiblogger for that! :)

R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Ya, now more ppl call me Mr "(insert my explicit blogname here)"Cool

Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

Hahaha..LOL!Tongue out

Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

Raj your enthusiam has inspired me to write one more post for the contest! :)

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Let me tell you guys something, there are eyes watching everywhere. From the Chlorine contest, a leading Contestant had been removed from IndiBlogger altogether for using fake accounts to vote up!

This worry though, every much genunie, we have all our evil eyes out there to check for evil bloggers!  I hope we dont have any more morons like that here, and should never knock our doors... 

Cheers everyone, we all marching towards an clean contest this time around, the best that is possible is being done by IndiBlogger, and with FULL efforts... 

Thank you IndiTeam Cool

Thumbs up hemal
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yes, This is a big step and it only further strengthens the faith I have in the Inditeam. Kudos, keep up the good work!
Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

Cheers for that! Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

IndiBlogger keep doing its work!

Ahimaaz Rajesh
from India
12 years ago

This is one job neatly, quietly, WELL done. My applause to IB.

Lighthouse Insights
from Pune
12 years ago

appreciated :) 

Anukriti Sharma
Anukriti Sharma
from Hartford
12 years ago

hmmm... let's just stop thinking about the rights and wrongs and just concentrate on this wonderful contest:)...It has opened the avenue of interacting with so many like minded people...helped form bonds b/w new and old bloggers... n given all of us the pleasure of reading awesome posts of Indians in India and abroad...I trust the team of Indibloggers and Yahoo/Dove n i know that only the people with the best work will win irrespective of the facebook likes/indivine promotions... :)

May the best win!

All the best to the bloggers...you have added happiness in my life through what you write :)

Thumbs up
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
+1 Exactly!
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

the formation of new bonds as stated by you is a victory for every participant. I got to know about many bloggers only after the start of teh contest.

Anukriti Sharma
from Hartford
12 years ago

@Ranjith... same here my friend...

Before taking part in this contest I barely had 3 friends on Indiblogger whom I knew personally... n now my network has increased and so has the quality of readers... It feels good to see comments/suggestions on ur blog by fellow bloggers/experts in the field of blogging... it gives you a high to know people who appreciate you as well as r critical of you, are people who have intellectual sensibility and know how to judge a person. :)

Happy Blogging and happy making friends n knowing other people Ranjith! :)

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I think that that is already in full swing. There is no way to control it. Moreoevr, one cannot draw a line of distinction between fair and unfair menas. Suppose a blogger send an e mail to all his friends on facebook (500+) telling them to vote, it might be regarded as unfair as it accounts to spamming. At the same time some might regard it to be fair. He is after all asking his friends and not any unknown people.

Vinesh Balan
Vinesh Balan
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I also gave a serious shot on the People's choice, and got 100+ likes the first day. But then I came across those 1500+ Like profiles. It makes us feel kinda dumb even trying to participate. I have participated before in many Facebook contests, and its a fact that when it comes to Like Contests, there ought to be Fake accounts involved. 

Let me point out another thing, just check this site - http://www.buyrealfacebookfans.com/ You can buy a 1000 Likes for $57, and if you are a serious competitor, $57 for 1000$ is a great bid. Its a profit even if he/she spends 200-300$. And this is just one site, you can find out tons of them around Internet.

The contest is going well, and Likes is the best way to promote it. Many of my friends came to know about this contest because of Facebook Likes. But when this contest is not at all moderated, it becomes a mere policy of Promotion. Serious Bloggers Lose, Rich Competitors Win.

Vineet Rajan
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The prize money is an indication that Yahoo-Dove see Content as most important. Serious bloggers do win, because there are 15 prizes they are competing for and not One prize. The website you mentioned talks about Fans, and not likes for a content shared on the internet. 

Vinesh Balan
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@Vineet, Yes I admit the contest based on Content is Good. I was talking about the People's choice contest and how easy it is to be faked. And the link I provided above is just an example, there are tons of other sites where you can buy "likes". I've seen that happening before, Ive seen other snatching away a win from me by unfair means, and it never feels good.

Amar Ashok Jajoo
from Nagpur
12 years ago

@Vinesh..+1.. it makes you feel dumb. Even i stopped trying after i came across the 1000+ likes thing and specially when i observed that the 1000 likes increased in less than 12 hours and that was the basic reason why i started this topic! But as you said the good part is that it's a good way to promote! Many of my friends too came to know about the contest and also about my blog!

LockSign in to reply to this thread