Any suggestions on blog domain name?

Medha Nagur
Medha Nagur
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Hey IndiBloggers.

I am planning to buy a domain for my blog in a couple of weeks to come. It would be very helpful for me with any information given by you regarding the matter. I am looking for suggetions and guidlines on how to choose the domain name for a blog.

I came across lot of conventions regarding naming a blog on net... but looking for  very practical and experimented tips from you guyz.

And also looking for a good domain host suggetions.

Thank you in advance.

Replies 1 to 13 of 13 Descending
abhin@v
abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

Hi, Pinky, I suggest you choose a domain name that is simple, catchy and at the same time, tells the visitors what your website is all about.Here is a link that I found very useful,

http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/domainname.shtml

But if you are planning to shift your current blog from blogger to wordpress, I suggest you keep your new domain name similar to what your current domain name is, so that your regular readers dont get confused. :)

Medha Nagur
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Thank you Abhi for the suggetion. I checked out the site that you have mentioned and was really helpful for me. And yes I am planning to go for wordpress but I also want to change my domain name since the current domain is a little too long!

Thanks again for the information.

abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

most welcome. :)

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

Hi Pinky,

Go with a domain name with the relevant niche something attarctive and cool,regarding host I always suggest host gator and now they have offices in India too you can pay via net banking as well.Also search for godaddy coupon codes so that you can get your domain for around 1$ for the first year

Medha Nagur
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Thank you so much Neeraj. Godaddy suggestion was a real eye catching candy for me.

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

Your welcome but its only for first year later on you would b charged the same10$/year

R-A-J
R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Don't ask me.. my blog name's an outcast Cool

But seriously, I heard recently tht Bigrock hs some promos which giv ".in" domains fr as less as Rs. 99/-..mite need to explore trms n conditions though.

My suggestion is dat a blogname shud stick to the mind as well as giv an idea as to wht a reader cn expect frm it

All the best wid ur blogname Smile

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@Raj its only for the first year. thats fine print for you Foot in mouth

R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Aaah Hamal...no wonder..it sounded so good 2 b true ... Smile

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

@R-A-J

You can get .in for 75 @ mitsu.in

R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

wow, cool...but guess dats also fr first year only types ..any idea hw much they'll charge frm second year on? :)

Rumbaho.com
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

hey Pinky...  try these is available:

PinkyIsNotAColor

PinkySwear

PinkyColored

LittlePinky

ThePinkster

Pinky

InkyPinkyPonky

if you need more suggestions, lemme know.  I personally like the last one best.

abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

Laughing lol!

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Smile

Rumbaho.com
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

i'm serious with the suggestions above, really!

A domain needs to be any ONE of the following:

1. A reflection of you

2. A reflection of the content

3. Any damn random word that you want it to be

If you are lucky, you will find something that applies to all three.

I suggest you decide what kind of blog you want to maintain over the long run - Business, Personal, Opinions, News, Humor, Technology, etc.

Any blogger who writes on 2 or more of the above categories is probably writing a personal blog.

Once you decide on the main theme, then it will easy ( or, at least, easier) to decide the kind of name you like.

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Also, if anyone tells you that you should not go for random words, just remind them that the world's most popular website was registered with an unintentional spelling mistake. For those who are unaware, "Google" was a spelling mistake made by the guy registering the website because he was told to register "Googol.com" didn't know the spelling. True story.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@Rumbaho Its rumoured that their angel investor gave them a cheque in the name of Google instead of

Googol

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

naah, not true Hemal.

Read "The Google Story". Its a book on Google.com's and the founders' history. Good book. Plus...  just google the history of google and you will find many articles giving the same info, I'm sure.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

may be! i said i heard the rumours

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

gotcha!  :o)

If you like to read books, "The Google Story" is actually a great read. It has some good insights into Brin's & Page's outlook and genius. I found that it is quite a "feel good" book, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I had bought that book on rent for Rs. 100  and its still lying in my cupboard, biting dust. Never found time enuf to read it, though I read several books in btwn. Its time then I dusted it up Wink

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

lolz  She is asking for blog`s name not for website and its just a suggestion from SEO perspective given by top SEO professional,rest if one has nice content I think blog name also can be anything however I dont know abc of SEO but professionals dont suggest that ROFL

@R-A-J

from 2nd year they will charge you the normal fee whatever it would be 8 or 10$

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Neeraj, she seems to be asking about suggestions and guidelines for a Domain Name for her Blog.

Here's what she says in her first Para: "I am planning to buy a domain for my blog in a couple of weeks to come. It would be very helpful for me with any information given by you regarding the matter. I am looking for suggetions and guidlines on how to choose the domain name for a blog."

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

Yes buddy that is why we suggested her to go with a relevant name according to the niche and you posted the story of a website.A blog is different with a website just coz they both work on a domain doesnt mean both are same.A website can be of any name the thing is what service one is giving on the website but top SEO professional always suggest to go with a domain name as per niche of the blog for good SEO

Rest again as I said above depends person to person either to go with the suggestions or the other way.I always like to experiment the other way :)

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

This post will also help many people wanna start new

http://www.youngprepro.com/niche-searching-ideas/

www.honeyitsme.com

Medha Nagur
Medha Nagur
from Bangalore
12 years ago
@raj @abhi @hemal @neeraj @rumbaho thanks a lot for all the information on and as well as off the discussion topic. Google story was really very informative as I was unaware of the saga behind the success. What I feel is be it a website or a blog the convections to name the domain still remains more or less the same for both. My blog is for sure a personal blog with no particular niche. I simply write what I feel like expressing to the world. But off late I hv seen blogs that are more of personal blogs which has contents on multiple niche and yet manage well to showcase all the niches in the form of tabs on home. I need to decide on those categories so that whatever I write will fall in at least one category. I surely don't want to name the blog on my name and prefer to name it to reflect the content. But the categories still need to be explored.... Only then will I be able to find a right name.
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I have heard of some vague names such as onionuttapam, which is a satire on Indian politics, i believe it depends on the subject matter of your blog Pinky ultimately. Either stick to Indian names or you want western than have a mix of the same, like mine indiabackpacker.

good thinking umesh ji, why leave the cholabhatura, my fav

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yes that is different Pramod, i hope someone catches the hint, even pavbhajji or vada pav in mumbai language will be catchy.

LockSign in to reply to this thread