Debate on Treasure trove found @ Padmanabhaswamy temple ?

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

In 1922 when Tutankhamun s treasure was found, it was accounted for diligently and exhibited in cairo museum, later they were being periodically exhibited across the world as a part of tourist promotion i believe.  

The debate on NDTV regarding what is to be done regarding the treasures unearthed in the ante chambers was a little shoddy.  The panelist were not sure of their footing.  First of all the history of the treasure accumulated will clearly reveal that these treasures does not only belong to the Travancore royalty or Padmanabha temple.  Therefore it is in order that majority of the antiques are exhibited in a public museum firstly, and some idols can be kept in Padmanabha temple, some duplicates such as gold coins can be distributed to museums across India, and surplus can be auctioned to fetch a handsome booty which can be deposited as an escrow account for maintainence of the temple, administration and upkeep of the temple.  They fees collected from museums could be shared with Temple, Travancore descendents and poorer section of the society.  The Padmanabhaswamy temple now needs to be open to all religions rather than seen as bigotry for only Hindus.  What do you all feel guys ?

Replies 1 to 15 of 15 Descending
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The wealth yield in current market value has already exceeded 1 lakh crores, but antiquity value may be 5 times higher.  Rumours are floating that the final chamber being opened will bring misfortune so that the concerned can siphon the treasures.  I believe everything should be made transperant and displayed publicly in an exhibition.  Musuem is the right place for such antique treasures. 

Murali Krishnan
from Chennai
12 years ago

I do not understand the premise of the suggestions, Umesh. If I own wealth, it is my right to do with it what I please (of course, within the confines of law, dharma, and conciousness)

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ The wealth does not belong to Trivancore royalty or the temple alone, they were only custodians of the same.  Now with undivided India and privy purse abolition it is for the centre to decide vide judiciary to safeguard the same, otherwise it would be siphoned off one by one.

Bilna Sandeep
Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

This is a very delicate issue and need to be dealt with so much of care! Whatever action is taken it's going to lead to a high rate of criticisms from around the world! Since there is so much of wealth involved, as per human nature, every one around the world seems to be keenly interested. My Filipino colleagues two days back asked me about the treasure in 'a temple in Kerala'. That shows how much of hype this issue has evoked around the world!(these colleagues of mine are people who usually who walk around as though nothing in the world would matter to them..you see) And they just commented on a lighter note: " now you guys from Kerala are going to be so rich" as though they expected it to be distributed it in and around the temple Innocent

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Cindrella there is nothing very hideous since the treasure has been unearthed.  The faster a decision is made it is better.  Logically majority should be displayed in the museums.  Duplicates can be auctioned and some token remanents should be kept in the temple.  The wealth from Vijaynagar seems to be deposited in the vaults for safety reasons after the battle of Talikota.  Vijaynagar empire boasted of untold wealth from Diamond and Gold mining.  1500 elephants load worth of gems and jewellry was frisked away from the capital by Timmarsu to safe haden.  50% or more of the treasure was deposited here.  Travancore kings became custodians along with the temple authorities.

Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

Yes sir, its so true! The decision has to be made sooner! 

Bilna Sandeep
Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

I am not any expert to say how this wealth could be used wisely! But mostly I admire the way the Temple has for generations protected this wealth! India being a country who has through generations gone through so many foreign rules, so many wealth loot, it’s a very high degree of appreciation I have for this wealth for still being there! So much of of historical and cultural wealth have gone to other countries!

I believe this wealth was protected by someone very wise maybe a wise King, maybe a wise society that existed long time ago, and high degree of engineering skill that went into constructing such a beautiful temple with secret chambers that could hide this wealth. So more than arguing on what is done with this wealth i would rather say we should first admire how this has been protected all these years!!

Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

That was the comment i had written for this article I found through Indivine! There is a big deal of debate going on in there too! I thought I should share wat i wrote there over here too! Smile

Murali Krishnan
from Chennai
12 years ago

The point you are making is a most interesting aspect in the whole issue, but it is not highlighted properly by anyone. The treasures are owned by the rulers of the erstwhile princely state of Travancore. For various reasons, e.g., protecting from Muslim/Christian/British invaders whose aim is to loot these, the Travancore family had to move these treasures to safe vaults. Whatever the motive may be, is it not great that the descendants of the family always knew this but never sought to appropriate the treasure and did not even take away a single gold coin. By history, we know many maharajas of India have burned their whole wealth through a lavish and pompous life style which the Travancore kings did not do. I attribute this to bhakthi. Here is where the role of religion comes into picture. People discuss passionately whether there is a god or not. I always say it does not matter, it is always good if there is a god. Because then we tend to live a life of purpose and meaning devoid of evils of mind, free from our egos. The travancre king is a bhaktha of Lord Padmanabha Swamy and he surrendered all his wealth to god and ruled his state as dhasa of the lord.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago
The supreme court has opined finally that nobody should lay claim on the treasures discovered, and it needs to be filmed and photographed for sake of posterity. A museum curator is being appointed to identify what is to be displayed in the museum and what is to be given to temple for Pooja.
Murali Krishnan
from Chennai
12 years ago

I am afraid, all that will remain for posterity is the films and photographs.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago
A twist in the drama is emerging, the key to the final vault is missing, now the duplicate key maker has to work on it Lolz. I hope they do it fast before the treasure is siphoned off.
Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Nice suggestions Umeshji.

About Supreme court, my request to govt. is as believe in secularism means equality of religions, the fundings of churches and mosques should be made trasperent. 

I wish to know official figs they have with them, also how this money is used.  

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Mohini the fundings to religious institution is not at all transperant from times immemorial.  Black money generation is undertaken through some of the institutions.  It is for the institution to come out in the open.  Ramdev Baba too is now silent about his source of funding and income from business. 

TTD is one of the finest run institutions in India for transperancy.  I feel if others emulate their path it would be a great achievement.  See Sai baba trustees trying to siphon the money and they are caught because of insiders tip off.  Now the govt should intervene in such institution and establish a transperant institution.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

I agree with you Umeshji. 

Govt. has lost the credibility that's is the problem.

tys
tys
from Sharjah
12 years ago

the question that are being asked is will this discovery be beneficial to the people?

i doubt it....

theres an arguement thats being raised...and that is, why shud a collection found in a hindu temple be used for the people? If that can be done, then why not the riches in other religious places?...what about the mosques and the churches?...

so this will be a status quo...

it will be locked up and protected and kerala will be as anxious as a reach person sleeping with his fortune under his pillow...

no small wonder that this was hidden so well for so long...

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
If only the money could be used for the upliftment of the poor.
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The discovery is definitely noteworthy and it can be made beneficial to the people by having free meals scheme for the poor when they visit the temple.  Secondly if it is exhibited in the museum the world will be aware of the untold wealth possessed by India, India s tag of underdeveloped country would vanish. 

The discrimination of not allowing other religious people in the temple is a great downer and speaks of bigotism.  Now Padmanabhaswamy temple will become tourist attraction along with kovalam.  Kerala can truely claim to be Gods own country.

Treasure discovered largely in the temple cellars does not only belong to Travancore kings, but to other major empire prevailing at that time which had an opportunity to hide the treasure safely. 

Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

I really dont support in selling of the wealth to use it for the upliftment of the poor! We cannot sell our heritage to make our nation any richer! But there would a some wiser ways!

Like now this issue has created a very big hype in the whole world!! So if we could use this wealth, like displaing them in a well protected museum maybe nearby the temple premises without hurting the feelings of any one, then maybe we could have a very hig amount of wealth generated to our country in terms of developing tourism industry!

Directly using this wealth to uplift the poor would only be a bad idea as it can only trigger so many delicate issues!!

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yes dont use the money for the poor, let the rich stash them in their already overflowing bank accounts.
R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

And world peace...

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Hehe :-D Okies :)
Bilna Sandeep
Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

Here's a very well written post again from Indivine on this topic. I found myself totally agreeing to the views expressed here.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I fully agree that a museum should be set up to display the treasure to the world and the income generated can be used for admin and welfare of the people, including Trivancore royalty

Abhijeet Sathe
Abhijeet Sathe
from Shillong
12 years ago

Heritage is over-rated when people can't read and don't get enough to eat. I say sell, sell, sell, and use the money to fund grassroots education programmes or at least to build better roads.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Sell only duplicates in an auction if the admin feels they have to encash and generate more funds for admin of the temple and welfare of the tourist amenities, which includes free food

R-A-J
R-A-J
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I just hope sumthin positive comes out of this.. considering the high decibel of corruption cases over the last few years, I'm not really too optimistic of what will be decided and more importantly, how fast it will be executed...

I totally agree with the suggestion on transparency .. but the immediate requirement is what to do with all the gold... there were promising suggestions of having a museum like the Louvre in Kerala.. I guess Kerala has now got the money to afford something like so.. it all depends now on the beaurecratic intelligence, which in most cases than not, is an oxymoron :)

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I believe R A J considering the scams hitting the headline this one positive news.  Another angle is where our ST goes riches follows him literally Lolz, i hope you got the message.  The man with a Midas touch.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago
The apex court has barred opening the 6th chamber, which is filled with supestition stating that inventory can be taken of the 5 chambers and let us decide later. Whether the court has succumbed to superstition or is it allowing time for the siphoners to get into action. I believe in one go all the treasure should have been bought out. Will the Income tax raids be aborted in the middle due to superstition ?
I wish to apply for the head poojaari, post At the coveted padmanabhaswami temple. If I don't get, I can plan a eating Anshan.
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Pramod i believe there is a vacancy for custodian of the treasure, it will be hell of a job, already many high profile guys are there in the rat race Lolz  I am sure you can guess the personality, wherever he goes, money follows him Lol

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ Prasan, treasure needs to be audited for its antiquity and value.  My opinion is that the treasure belongs to all the royalties who have deposited it for safe keeping against Bahmani Sultanate,Tipu Sultan,Portuguese, Mapillas, Dutch, English etc , i am sure it does not belong to Trivancore royalty alone, and rightly so they are not laying any claim over it.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

I will support your Anshan Pramodji! 

Umesh Ji , custodian is dangerous job, murder hone ko sakta, PUjaari is better, daily Kuch ornaments apni griha Laxmi ko Sadar arpan karne ko sakta.
Babli
Babli
from Bangalore
12 years ago

well i am of the opinion that the treasure should not be handed over to the government. It should rather be maintained by the temple trust itself. If it has to be show cased in the museum then why not by the temple authorities itself. It can be showcased in the temple premises itself rather than handing over to the government. It has a long heritage which needs to be carried forward and should not be transmitted to a governing authority which for all wrong reasons cannot obvisously be trusted upon.

Bilna Sandeep
from Abu Dhabi
12 years ago

Thats what I think too!

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

I agree with you Prasan.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Abhijeet I am happy that you agreed for displaying the treasures in a plush museum, which can be state of Art, like the St Joseph's Museum at Shillong. Gold lying idle, with proximity to the sea will corrode if left unmaintained, i mean polished in regular intervals.
Abhijeet Sathe
Abhijeet Sathe
from Shillong
12 years ago

It's probably not _all_ gold, or there would be no worry about maintenance. (Sorry about the pedant-giri, but gold doesn't, in fact, corrode)

And do you mean the Don Bosco museum? It's a pretty amazing exhibition (plus the building has got really odd architecture)

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Well i meant Don Bosco museum precisely, i had met Father Joseph, who was kind enough to keep the museum open another 45 minutes for seeing the same and purchasing cds and books.

I believe if the gold is not of high purity it will tend to change colours, in its purest form naturally gold will not corrode

LockSign in to reply to this thread