self hosting wordpress

Sumit Nangia
Sumit Nangia
from Pune
12 years ago

Is there any benefit of having a self hosted wordpress blog then having a wordpress.com blog ?

Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Descending
Rumbaho.com
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago
Freedom. But at a price. Wordpress.com provides free blogging, like blogspot or blogger. Self hosting costs around 1000 to 1500 per year. Plus you have to manage your own domain, website, software, updates etc. It's mostly just single click but you need to manage stuff. It's easy enough to learn though. I recommend it.
Sujith
Sujith
from Kerala
12 years ago

wordpress.com and Blogspot blogs..... Living in a rented house

Selfhosted blogs....Your own house.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Rented house - you dont pay any rent!! Own house - you pay rent!!!!!
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
But yeah, self hosted Blogs are better, I too have heard:)
Sujith
from Kerala
12 years ago

Arti..Not in the form of Payment. You are indirectly paying or promoting their product in many ways. Nothing is "Free" in this virtual world.

Sumit Nangia
Sumit Nangia
from Pune
12 years ago

Actually i am currently pursuing B.tech. Was learning web development too, thus wanted to know, if it would be beneficial to shift the blog to a self-hosted platform or not.

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

2 ways,

1. If you have much money to spend, switch to self hosted and pay a hosting company $$, you will be able to play with the PHP code and everything else you want.

2. economical way (I would choose this way,since u r doing B-tech i cannot expect you to be non-techie as well).  Install XAMPP and install on your local desktop/laptop, You laptop will turn into a complete host where you can install wordpress or any web app which works on php,mysql,perl,FTP ,apace2 etc. Install WP locally and play with it as much as you want.It's really easy to use once u install it.

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

2nd way i mean, Let your blog run on Wordpress.com and instead of playing with your real live blog play with the demo or sandbox or test blogs you r running on the local system

Sujith
from Kerala
12 years ago

For learning you need not to have a self hosted platform. Your own PC is enough. Make a local server then do experiments with all popular CMS platforms. If you want to take it as profession then try to learn PHP, MySql also.

LockSign in to reply to this thread