Blogspot blogs redirecting to country specific domain

Subhorup Dasgupta
Subhorup Dasgupta
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Blogspot blogs are now redirecting to country specific domains (ccTLDs). If you have tried to copy paste your new blogspot posts URL and submit to Indivine, it is likely that the submission will not go through since it comes with an blogspot.in in the URL. I had to edit my URL (the one I copied from my address bar) to blogspot.com from .in in order for my submission to go through.

I tried to understand this and had more questions than answers since I am not very conversant with the technoligical ways of the web or the pace at which it is evolving. However, apart from the turbulence this will create in terms of Alexa rank, traffic stats and Google page rank, I also wonder what this means for privacy and censorship, since the reason given by Google for doing this is to ensure that country specific permissible content is made available, which is just a polite way of saying that they will be able to better block what is "not permissible" in your country.

I noticed from the forum guidelines that a link is "permissible" here if it is relevant to the topic. At this point in time, I feel this post (on Indivine, but from my blog) is.

http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=111367

It describes the issue and raises some questions that I do not have answers to. My purpose for sticking this in the forum is to invite the people who know better about this to initiate a dialog that will help all of us get a better perspective on this matter.

First 1-20
21-22
Replies 21 to 22 of 22 Descending
Sudip Kumar
Sudip Kumar
from Kolkata
12 years ago

Check How To Prevent Blogger Blog From Redirecting To Country-Specific Domains - http://www.sociablweb.com/how-to-prevent-blogger-blog-from-redirecting-to-country-specific-domains

Sankar
Sankar
from Trivandrum
12 years ago

I think i've never faced that problem till now :O

but thanks for the info :) 

First 1-20
21-22
LockSign in to reply to this thread