Why isn't Indiblogger monetized?

Amitabh Mukherjee
Amitabh Mukherjee
from Bangalore
15 years ago

The topic says it all. With so much of traffic coming in I am sure Indiblogger can be monetized. And it can be done discreetly too. I am sure no one will mind.

Any particular reason, Indiblogger?

First 1-20
21-40
Replies 21 to 40 of 40 Descending
Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Bloggers, we're thinking of monetizing IndiBlogger - what do you all think? We'll try to do it elegantly of course. Do you think it would mess up the usability of IndiBlogger?

If we do monetize, we will be giving registered bloggers the option of turning off ads from their account options. We'll use this to find out how many bloggers turn off the ads, thereby giving us a feel if we should have them or not.

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
15 years ago

To be honest I use Gmail for my personal communication and I do not mind a ticker that moves on top and a picture of Advani asking to vote for BJP in one corner.The more the merrier is obviously not something I am looking forward too.

As long as you can monitor the quality of ads and they remain relevant and sensible to bloggers taste most of us will learn to live with them.

We can think of them as an occupational hazard !

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

That's good to know... and I think we'll do our best to block political ads. :-)

ARJuna
ARJuna
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Of course you should go ahead and monetize, funny I came across this thread today cause just yesterday I was thinking about Indiblogger and I realised that you guys don't have ads, so I was just about to ask Renie, how you people manage to host this site?

I have most of the answers now. I agree that you should go about and make many more people aware of your site, I say this because you have a very unique forum (and also other features but especially the forum), it's so hatke those other drab telnet forums!!!

Indian bloggers deserve to be members of this unique directory and you deserve loads and loads of traffic.

Cheers

http://worldofteenager.blogspot.com

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Guys, any feedback on the ads? Are they too intrusive? Any tips from the Adsense gurus here?

Choto Cheeta
from Kolkata
14 years ago

Sorry, I am not an Adsese guru however just few personal thoughts..

I think every site has its own need and special spot for adsense.. Make some channel before you place an ad and monitor which place is giving you best revenue !!!

Hard fact is, your web site is targeted for Bloggers.. An user pool which is already aware about, what is ad and what is content.. So, personal suggestion, I dont think contextual ads (like, adsense, chitika, or such) would perform well, better to look for direct and dedicated ads or sponsorship..

However, as I said, I am no adsense guru, so it ios certainly possible that, opposite of my assumption, you may be doing really well with adsense :lol: , mind sharing little details as how is adsense performing ??

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Your logic makes sense - bloggers are not the type to inadvertently click on an advert. (Pun intended) As for our adsense earnings - will share once it stabilizes. We're still making minor tweaks.

S K G Rao
S K G Rao
from Bangalore
14 years ago

If the intruders are bringing money to you are they intrusive.?

Adwords first,we will see AdSence later.I am no Guru but AdSence grudger.

http://engineeringtextilesforindia.blogspot.com

I don't mind the ads. If the site can become financially viable through these ads, I have no problems.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Thank you, that's good to know!

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago
Renie, try Komli. They don't offer ads to each and every one. and are rising by the day.. They choose publishers and am sure indiblogger will get in given the huge member list and traffic. On other thoughts, Adsense does not pay much for the ads per click. But its a tested platform and you can also find a lot of discussions on that on the forum. Other option is AdBrite. I have started using it two months ago so cannot exactly comment on that as of now.
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Will check out Komil and Adbrite - thanks man!

Karthik DR
Karthik DR
from New Delhi
14 years ago

Dude, the ads are not intrusive man. And they are at strategic locations as well. Now we just need to wait and find out how these ads perform.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Yes Renie, as Zeon said, they are at strategic locations and should do well... They are no way in between me and content, so its not intrusive....

leon
leon
from kolkata
14 years ago

i dont think google adsense is i good option .. instead should monetized it using affiliates program which is less annoying i guess.

S K G Rao
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I don't understand whay you say Mr.leon.Please explain it for me.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Hey Leon, what affiliate programs do you have in mind? Amazon? We will certainly be experimenting quite a bit.

leon
from kolkata
14 years ago

i got an affiliates ... i'm just testing on my site with india traffic... it looks promising .. i'll pm you the link

Bishwajeet Mahato
Bishwajeet Mahato
from Jamshedpur
14 years ago

I don't think Bloggers click on Adsense so try some private ad sales

S K G Rao
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I tried it works.

http://ganapathi-rao.blogspot.com

http://engineeringtextilesforindia.blogspot.com

NT Balanarayan
NT Balanarayan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Paid accounts with extra analytics might help, to some extant UndecidedInnocent

Websnacker
Websnacker
from New York
14 years ago

Even if the traffic is indiacentric, I still applaud the Indiblogger team for not monetizing it so far! 

keep it up Guys!

Review my Blog / Follow me on Twitter / Websnacker / Ideasonic Studios

S K G Rao
from Bangalore
14 years ago

It's indeed a pleasure to see that IndiBlogger team making this is so very transperent a serial going on ultimately I know the decision will be bnificial to our IndiBlogger and Us.

leon
leon
from kolkata
14 years ago

i just realized that indiblogger don't have pm function. I think it would be a good addons.

Choto Cheeta
from Kolkata
14 years ago

After you said you would PM renie, I was wonderning that whether PM feature depends on post count or such, that you have the feature and I dont

:( :(

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

If we allow PMs, how do we tackle members spamming each other? "Please read my blog and post comment", etc.? Frown

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago

a big no to these! dont want all members sending me a mail for anything and everything! i am getting sick of the shouts i get on Digg!

S K G Rao
S K G Rao
from Bangalore
14 years ago

What's a pm function please.Frown

NT Balanarayan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

PM> Personal Message

S K G Rao
S K G Rao
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Dear NT B,

Thanks.

Amitabh Mukherjee
Amitabh Mukherjee
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I cam in late but yes it is gratifying to see this thread reach a fruitful conclusion.

Cool

I am glad for you chaps.

Cheers!

Churn

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago

*CLAPS*

Suman Bolar
Suman Bolar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Just another point of view... I write a blog  with the stated intention of never accepting any ads from anyone, ever, period. Agree with Renie that it degrades the user experience. That said, a gal's gotta eat! My perspective is that my blog generates other potential revenue streams for me. Via the blog, I've established myself as a domain expert/entrepreneur and received offers and opportunities in that capacity. The worldwide web's my oyster, baby!

Amitabh Mukherjee
Amitabh Mukherjee
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I find it veryu surprising that ads on blogs are looked down upon. I think this has much to do with some successful bloggers whose blogs support their main activities. I also think most of such reactions arebecause not much thought has been given.

There is a world of difference between intrusive ads and non-intrusive ads. Ads on TV, for instance, are intrusive. They eat into your time and force you to either see it or switch channels. But are these ads same as those in a magazine for example? Magazines have ads but they do not intrude into your time. It lets you choose. You don;t have to see them.

To draw an analogy, pop-up ads are intrusive. Ads on the side of a web page is not. Most visitors on a blog do not even give a second glance at them.

I think ads on this forum need to be seen in that context. They are non-intrusive.

But as they say, each to his/her own. These are my views. Please feel free to disagree. After all what is the use of a forum where evryone agrees.

Cheers,

Churn

S K G Rao
S K G Rao
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Hello,

Thanks for your views on Ads,it is really nice way you have put up.

Whatever Ads are what matters is are you getting any sound of new crisp money in your hands of course.

First 1-20
21-40
LockSign in to reply to this thread