An opportunity for every Indian blogger to get published!

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
11 years ago

IndiBloggers!

On August 15 2012, on our independence day and IndiBlogger’s 5th anniversary, comes an opportunity for every Indian blogger to get published! Smile

IndiBlogger.in in association with HarperCollins will give you insight and a whole new perspective of the world of publishing. Submit your own stories, learn from the authors, talk to the editors, join a social community of book lovers and see your work in print.

Do help us spread the word, and get Yash Lal's book to start your first review:

http://www.indiblogger.in/getpublished/

Keep blogging!

Replies 1 to 20 of 197 Ascending
Palak Kapadia
Palak Kapadia
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Hi is there any update on this? I'm one of the winners and havent received any communication from the Harper Collins or Indiblogger team in the last 6 months atleast. Please revert asap. 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

See the comments by Anoop on this http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=16942 thread.

Nilanjana Bose
Nilanjana Bose
from Bahrain
10 years ago

Thank you, Amita! Much obliged to you for copy pasting! :)

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I came to know that all the selected ones were female bloggers only after reading the mail. 

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Instead of looking at winners, why don't we look at losers? Maybe men and women will be in equal ratio there.

Okay, now that we all have received this mail which clearly cites that we are not bound to any legal agreement that deters us from publishing our stories somewhere else, quite some air of ambiguity has subsided. I was wondering that since a substantial chunk of indibloggers would be publishing the rejected stories on their own blogs, is it possible to have one single unorthodox indi-forum where these indibloggers are allowed to post links to the short storie(s) that they eventually published on their respective blogs ? This would help in bringing all these 240 rejected but highly opulent stories under one single roof and would make it easier for each one to get acquainted with the story writing skills which all of us bring together cumulatively. I know it's pretty much against the rules of the forum but I'm just asking if we could consider such a thing. Smile And in case this is not possible, can we have a new indivine submission entry that tags not only "stories" but stories that supposedly enjoyed being a part of the final race. Just for thought. Laughing

Nilanjana Bose
Nilanjana Bose
from Bahrain
10 years ago

Repeating the query I, and some other finalists may also, have. Are we free to submit the rejected entries elsewhere? Would really appreciate an answer- Renie Ravin, Yashodhara Lal, and HC.  Thanks!

Nirvana
from Delhi
10 years ago

Further to what Nilanjana has written, I think the entries and previews should now be take out, right? Indiblogger... await your reply.

Amita Kalra
from Gurgaon
10 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners once again :) I really want to read the final book!

Hey Nilanjana,

I just received an email from Indiblogger and we are free to publish the entries else where. Below is the text that I received.. I am just copy-pasting it here for reference :)

As you may know by now, the final list of authors for Get Published has been announced, and we're sorry to say that you're not one of them. We thank you for participating in this edition, for all your hard work, and we hope to see you again when we come up with the next book by Indian bloggers!

We realize that you have many questions about the contest, and we hope the answers below are helpful.

Who judged the contest?The stories were solely judged by the editorial team at Harper Collins, with several of their senior editors involved.

Why weren't any male authors chosen?There were no pre-set rules with regards to the gender of the authors. Not unlike a music album, a compilation of short stories needs to come together as a package, which can be digested from start to finish without any jarring deviations from the overall theme or writing style. As it happened, these ten stories fit together the best - all of them being written by female authors was purely a coincidence!

Now that my story was not chosen, can I publish it elsewhere?Yes, you may publish your story elsewhere.

When can I read the final list of selected stories?The selected stories are by no means complete; each of the selected authors will now work with writers and editors of Harper Collins to get their stories ready for publishing, which may take several months. We'll keep you updated on the progress!

http://www.indiblogger.in/getpublished/

Keep blogging,

The IndiBlogger Team

Ritu KT
Ritu KT
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Congratulations to the winners. Please bring this back in 2013.

I am ready to avail this opportunity now, I wasn't a blogger last year Innocent

Nilanjana Bose
Nilanjana Bose
from Bahrain
10 years ago

Thank you, Prasanna for responding.  But I'd still like it spelt out in black and white from IB-HC.  Many contests specify that the entries written cannot be posted/submitted elsewhere for a specific period of time and/or without the consent of the organisers.  I cannot recall anything about copyrights or exclusivity being among the rules, so want to be completely sure.

Nilanjana Bose
Nilanjana Bose
from Bahrain
10 years ago

Hello,

Are we free to submit the rejected entries elsewhere to other publications? Has there been any communication on this issue? If not, would someone from the Indi-HC team please clarify? Many thanks.

Thank y'all Indibloggers also for the kind messages/congrats.

Prasanna Rao
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I think this by default, at least that's what happens in other short story contests. They cannot keep the copyrights for the rejected materials. Authors are free to submit it elsewhere or post in any other sites.

Barkha Parikh
Barkha Parikh
from Ahmedabad
10 years ago

happy 5th anniversary Wink ... A must opportunity to grab...

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
10 years ago

...and I take this opportunity to share my review of Yashodhara Lal's novel.

http://passey.info/2012/10/gud-mawrning-to-read-n-recycle-review-of-just-married-please-excuse/

Gud Mawrning to read-n-recycle. Review of ‘Just Married: Please Excuse’

Dude, please speak up man.. your idea was rejected at first,  then later after protest it came up on list. How come a harper venture come up with such lousy mistake.

DS
from Mumbai
10 years ago
It is not allowed to share blog links here Mr Passey. And I think you have been here long enough to know the rules of the forum!
Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
10 years ago

Congrats to women! :)

Sonia Rao
Sonia Rao
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Heartiest Congratulations to the winners :)

Chaitanya Vembar
Chaitanya Vembar
from Seattle
10 years ago

Got it, thanks!

Chaitanya Vembar
Chaitanya Vembar
from Seattle
10 years ago

Can anyone even find the get published forum post that stated that 50 winners would be chosen? Have they wiped their slate clean?

Aseem Rastogi
from Lucknow
10 years ago

@Chaitanya - Its there in the email they sent across after we got shortlisted for the 2nd round.

vishwanthan iyer
vishwanthan iyer
from KALYAN
10 years ago

where is the winners list??? can someone help me out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

The winners list is on the home page of GetPublished - http://www.indiblogger.in/getpublished/

One masterpiece struggling author had pasted some pages of his manuscript such that he would know if his manuscript was read or not,  and sent to publishing house.  when it was returned back he knew it wasn't even opened. 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

what abt the selected 10 entries...were they read or not?

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Why would they have to read it. Anyways millions of readers are there to read them later on.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

u mean they were randomly selected?? like ...inni mini maina mo ...or inky pinky ponky father had donkey.. InnocentLaughing

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I think the they won't reveal which one was used. That is their secret recipe to pull out great stories from a large pile. 

Tushar Kumar Singh
from Delhi,Mumbai
10 years ago

They could have actually used a more ingenious scheme. Like assigning serial numbers to the shortlisted ideas and then running a simple random number generator to choose the final 10. It would have been more formal that way. Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

What about random numbers from atmospheric noise? : http://www.random.org/ Smile

sorry, my mistake, the 'Indi-harper' team; thanks 'The Fool'. They gave us a big opporunity, accepted my idea, I cannot forget that :)

I am glad now mine was rejected. But who swlected the ideas by the way. DOES Harper official ly accept they read them even. I DOUBT.

Rayla Noel
Rayla Noel
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Congrats all 250 fantastic writers.. U guys amaze me (&with your blogs seriously). Wish everyone here won, was great, the ideas I read. ..

Congratulations to all winners, wishing them good in getting published.

Ok there were 250 submissions, may be a few less, 10 got through, means 240 fell through.  That needs a bit of an explanation from the indi-harpic team. Honestly how come that 240 fell thorough. I believe the team has a good explanation for that. I am waiting to hear it from them.

Karandeep Singh
from bangalore
10 years ago

I agree ... I think our efforts and wait of over 5 months should be acknowledged with a basic feedback on our entries or anything in that respect that can help us get better. For, not all are casual bloggers, some of us take writing a bit seriously I guess.  

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I like the terms Indi-harpic. Reminds me of the toiler cleaner brand.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Also as many have said, it would have been nice if the editors had shared their thinking and rationale as well. Also it would have been nice to have the initial 50 long list as well. It would have really helped the aspiring writers. Without that this exercise has turned out an utter waste for people not selected. It would be unreasonable of course for each of the 250 entries to be given feedback. But at least knowing whether we were in the top 50 or not would have helped to know where we stand. But instead this turned out more like the usual FMCG Indi contests, with only difference being a longer wait.

Jingoistic statements (without basis) like these 10 were a cut above the rest or motherhood statements like all 250 were good but we had to select 10 that form a set or we had to select the best 10 with great difficulty etc, that we have seen in the past contests also do not help at all. 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

how does it help with a top 50 list?? as long as we are not in top 10..all other lists are quite meaningless aint it??

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
10 years ago

@TF: Loved those characterisations - "Jingoistic" and "motherhood" statements :) Quite true that neither helps you know about your capability to write unless you are in the top 10. Btw, I truly cannot understand this 'set' business. I mean, if H-C had some sub-genre of Romance in mind - like Candy-floss or humor - it would have been better to have sought that in addition to 'real' in their love stories. That way people who did not write that would not have competed and others may have written in that sub-genre rather than what they did write and that would have made for a more level playing field overall. This way, they make it seem like you also have to be lucky enough to choose that sub-genre which they will publish - sort of lottery :)

@Nandini: If you think of this exercise as just another Indiblogger contest where you either get the Kindle or do not get it and it does not matter whether you were the 11th or the 250th, then yes, there is absolutely no point in a top 50 list. If you see it as an evaluation of your ability to write fiction, being in the top 50 list gives you more confidence about your ability to write fiction than not knowing exactly where you stood. Always assuming the credibility of the evaluation process, of course.

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago

God save the editors if they are caught in the middle of the 240 some where. :)

LockSign in to reply to this thread